Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pirates of the western sea

SkeleTony

Augur
undead dolphin hacker said:
What do the puke green expanses of sea represent? I went in one of these areas, found a secret island, then got attacked by a bunch of... sea giants or something. wtf.

Graphic errors or areas that were missing proper icons when Tom compiled the last version. So technically whenever you enter one of those "puke green" areas you could be entering a 'secret island' or some similar monster lair or possibly even just running right into a monster whose graphic was not done yet or maybe jsut mis-referenced in the code or something.

As for the 'boredom' of wandering around aimlessly, that is an unfortunate factor of the game being unfinished. The good thing is there is a LOT to explore and you never know what you might find but the bad thing is that there is a LOT of empty, boring stuff as well. There are a lot of towns which are pretty inconsequential as well except for to buy supplies/food from but some of these also have quests.

Again, the game's unfinished state is a bummer but at least it is playable and finishable as a game.

SkeleTony

Augur
SanguinePenguin said:
SkeleTony said:
SanguinePenguin said:
The room with the minotaurs is the "library" right? And this is below the level with the mystery locked rune door?

IIRC the 'Minotaur library' is right next to the secret door that hides the "Ancient Armor". Pretty sure it is on the same level. But you have to 'L'ook for the secret door on a wall to the east of the minos I think adn then you have to 'O'pen it.

HA! Got it. Thanks, mang.

I went ahead and updated the related game help with a pic.

What is this? Did you write a guide or something for the game? I would love to see it if you have it uploaded somewhere. Or did you just mean that you updated your personal files with a screenshot or something so you don't forget that location again?

SanguinePenguin

Scholar
I wasn't clear, my bad. I just meant the topic I made in the General Game Help forum a while back with the very same question about the armor.

I put a picture of where it is there incase anyone searched for it again.

rayres

Novice
Pirates of the Western Seas

I have a bunch of questions:

1. Do the trade percentages, as seen in the starting town, ever change? Also, is it worth it to trade ever? It seems like it might be a bit pointless if you don't have thousands of gold to buy the expensive stuff! Also, you only get maybe 2/3 of the value listed when selling. It also seems complicated to figure out the exact figures. Fighting monsters and exploring dungeons, putting up haggling and looting would seem to be better.

2. Are the quests I get in other towns worth it?

3. Do the seamanship and navigation skills work, and if so, what is their exact function?

4. How do I determine the exact coordinates of where my ship is?

5. Is it hard on your rep. to attack other ships, even if they are pirates? I can't view my faction rating.

6. What is the way to "win" the game?

7. What are platinum coins for? It said something on the right of my inventory about "#8".

8. Is putting up intelligence worth it, and how high should my intelligence be?

9. Is ancient tongues worth it?

10. Is it better to use 2 weapons or a shield and a weapon?

11. Can enchanters only go to lvl. 5 bonus?

Thanks

Rob

rayres

Novice
Interface Question for Pirates of the Western Sea

How do I scroll down my navigation list to see all the places I know about?

Thanks

Rob

rayres

Novice
Snake Cult

How do I find the Snake Cult in Depic City?

Thanks

Rob

Andhaira

Arcane
I played this a lot when it came out. Still wish Proudft would finish it, but IMO I think its too late now. He's probablyfogotten how to code it by now.

How is Tower of Darkness by the way? Is is more complete? Is it finishable?

Kodi

Novice
Re: Pirates of the Western Seas

Please forgive the resurrection of this topic. This is such a great game that I wanted to answer some of these questions rather than leave them hanging.

rayres said:
1. Do the trade percentages, as seen in the starting town, ever change?
The nation-to-nation percentages (top half of the trade report) never seem to change, even when one nation goes to war with another. However, the "types of goods" section (the bottom half of each report) definitely changes monthly if not daily, but usually not by huge amounts.

rayres said:
Also, is it worth it to trade ever? It seems like it might be a bit pointless if you don't have thousands of gold to buy the expensive stuff! Also, you only get maybe 2/3 of the value listed when selling. It also seems complicated to figure out the exact figures.
Trading definitely can be profitable; in some cases extremely profitable. For example, if the trade report indicates nation X values goods from nation Y at 130% and nation X also values pure gold (not to be confused with gold ore) at 120%, theoretically you'd be able to ferry and sell pure gold for 156% of what you paid for it (assuming you could find gold for sale).

rayres said:
2. Are the quests I get in other towns worth it?
There aren't that many side quests that I have found. I'd say they're all worth doing. By contrast, the various caves along the coast might not be worth doing, at least early in the game, because they can be deathtraps (maybe it's hit or miss). So unless you're specifically guided to a particular cave via a tavern rumor or some other advice, it might be best to avoid them until your party is pretty strong.

rayres said:
3. Do the seamanship and navigation skills work, and if so, what is their exact function? ...How do I determine the exact coordinates of where my ship is?
The navigation skill, if high enough, continuously displays your current coordinates (latitude and longitude) on the right side of the screen. On the other hand, I don't know what the seamanship skill does. Perhaps it allows you to maneuver your ship more easily during combat.

rayres said:
5. Is it hard on your rep. to attack other ships, even if they are pirates? I can't view my faction rating.
If pirates attack you, defeating them seems to improve your "pirate fame" (as seen when pressing the F key). I'm not sure what attacking a non-hostile pirate ship would do. I suspect that attacking non-hostile naval/merchant ships of a given nation would lower your reputation in that country. However, I don't know the exact repercussions of fame and reputation.

rayres said:
6. What is the way to "win" the game?
Rather than give any spoilers, it seems best to say that the tavern rumors will guide you quite well. I think all taverns of a given nation have exactly the same rumors; so there might not be any point in gathering rumors in more than one town of a given nation.

rayres said:
7. What are platinum coins for?
Platinum coins seem to be the highest value coins. They are something of a rarity because I've not found any way to exchange gold for platinum (though you can exchange silver coins for gold coins in just about any town). Therefore, it might be best to spend your platinum coins last because their high value-per-pound makes them easier to carry around. (You can of course keep heavy items like coins in your ship's hold. But don't go overboard with storing stuff on your ship because things got weird on me once, possibly resulting in lost/deleted items, when I had more than say 50 line-items listed).

rayres said:
It said something on the right of my inventory about "#8".
That is part of the fast-weapon-switching feature, which is invoked via the 'x' key during combat. It works by having previously pressed one of the 9 digits on the keypad/numpad while hovering the mouse cursor over a weapon or shield in your inventory. It's probably best to have only 2 configurations per character rather than 3+ to keep things from getting too complicated.

rayres said:
8. Is putting up intelligence worth it, and how high should my intelligence be?
Although I've not verified it, intelligence probably works the same as in Natuk. If so, it affects how much experience each character receives. Specifically:

experience received = (((IN + 50) / 2) * base experience) / 50

But since intelligence (and other stats except HT) are so much harder to raise in POWS compared to Natuk -- and since POWS is a somewhat shorter game than Natuk -- it might be best not to go overboard on increasing intelligence. I'd recommend stopping at 55-70 for most characters depending on how much intelligence each started with and how urgently you need a particular character's other skills early in the game.

rayres said:
9. Is ancient tongues worth it?
There's at least one side quest that requires a modest amount of ancient tongues skill. Also, there are some items you might find whose full details and true nature might be revealed only with fairly high ancient tongues (perhaps 100+). However, you can usually find out the nature of such items just from their names and/or by experimenting with them for a while.

rayres said:
10. Is it better to use 2 weapons or a shield and a weapon?
That might come down more to play style. Personally I prefer to use a shield, at least when the character has decent shield skill, unless I find two really good weapons for that character (but this hardly ever happens in my experience). However, if your character has a high skill with a particular type of weapon, the ability to parry more often via dual-wielding might be superior to the blocking/defense/armor afforded by a shield. Of course you can also opt to attack with both weapons, though this requires very high skill.

rayres said:
11. Can enchanters only go to lvl. 5 bonus?
Although +5 is the maximum an enchanter can improve a weapon/armor, you can get one plus higher via certain items you might find or buy.

A few other tips that might help:
  • While sailing, spacebar starts and stops movement. Pressing the c key to display the automap also pauses the movement. Pausing is especially helpful to control a speedy ship during gale-force winds.
  • While fighting aboard ship, click on the progress-bar to change the ship's speed, and click on the box-like compass to change ship's heading.
  • If you enter a cave or dungeon and immediately see a really hard battle coming, you might be able to exit immediately by doing a [L]ook at the stairs/entrance.
  • You can press Shift-s to sell more than one of an item, which is quite handy if there are ~1000 iron ingots in a batch of cargo. It's also necessary to use Shift-s to avoid damage to your merchant fame score as seen via the 'f' key.
  • It seems you don't have to have rations/food in your backpack as long as your ship has some.
  • If it's like previous games, I seem to remember that wands hold 10 charges, staves 15(?) charges, and rods 20. Gems like pearls might hold only 5 charges, and unlike in Natuk, they can't be recharged. When first found or purchased, a charged item can have anywhere between 1 charge and the maximum number. Since an item is often destroyed if you consume its final charge, it's probably a good idea to recharge (at least once) any really valuable/useful items.
  • Lighter-colored letters on the tatus screen indicate that enchantments like Haste are stronger and longer-lasting. Darker-colored letters indicate that the spell will soon expire or that it was weak to begin with.
    [*]Unlike Natuk (and probably Nahlakh), temporary spells (but not permanent enchantments) like fire-weapon and death-weapon do NOT provide extra bonuses for each magical plus. This makes fire/icy weapon pretty weak (only 1-6 extra damage). Only death-weapon is still decent, providing 3-18 death damage. However, items with permanent death/fire/icy/shock enchantments still get the per-plus bonus, which makes a certain type of scroll you might find or buy during the game extremely valuable.
    [*]Unlike most elemental-damage spells, the jet spells don't require line of sight. This makes them quite useful even against only a single victim who's around a corner. In fact the jet spells often seem more powerful than the "ball" spells, perhaps because jet spells are easier to cast and thus tend to get a bigger skill-based damage boost.
    [*]Backstabbing delivers a to-hit bonus and a damage bonus, but requires the attacker to be hidden and/or invisible. A larger damage bonus might be given to impaling weapons vs. cutting/bashing.

By the way, for anyone who's considering Natuk or POWS, I also recommend Nahlakh (an earlier game by the same author). It works very well in Dosbox emulator and doesn't suffer the CPU speed issues of Natuk and POWS. Although Nahlakh's combat and character development systems are more primitive, the game seems to offer greater combat variety (such as types of enemies/groups) and perhaps greater depth of gameplay and story. I enjoyed Nahlakh even more than Natuk/POWS.

SkeleTony

Augur
Thanks Kodi.

A few comments:

1)Wielding two weapons is usually the better course of action for PCs with 300+ skills(though the nature of the game with it's randomized items and such can certainly make 'weapon + shield' the better option in SOME games).

The reasons are:

Not many shields comparable to the weapons one can find, in terms of overall bonuses and effects. The added 'defensive' bonuses simply do not stack up to the massive damage one can do with two uber-swords(don't remember if dual wielding works with 'Quickness' effects or not).

In short I would rather charge a group of vampires with two +5 Holy Swords of 'flame'/vampirism than with a single +5 holy sword and a +6 mithril shield of whatever any day.

Of course this is not the case for characters with lower weapon skills or (for whatever reason) higher shield skills.

Light colored vs. 'dark colored' status symbols: I am pretty sure that when you case, for example a 'Mass Haste' spell on the party, it will start off 'Dark(or as dark as you were lucky enough to receive that casting) but the 'H' gets gradually lighter as the enchantment diminishes.

Kodi

Novice
SkeleTony said:
I would rather charge a group of vampires with two +5 Holy Swords of 'flame'/vampirism than with a single +5 holy sword and a +6 mithril shield of whatever any day.
Yeah, if I ever find two great weapons of the same type, dual-wielding is really powerful. However, although holy swords and demon weapons seem somewhat common in Natuk (you can even buy them)...

...(MINOR SPOILER): I've yet to find any in POWS except 2-handed demon axes (from the big demons who wield them) and that demon spear/trident near the endgame (maybe that one is randomized and varies each game). I'm playing POWS again now; maybe I'll get luckier on holy weapons this time (though I'm not sure they can stack up to demon axes that have been given a permanent death enchantment :))

SkeleTony said:
Light colored vs. 'dark colored' status symbols: I am pretty sure that when you case, for example a 'Mass Haste' spell on the party, it will start off 'Dark(or as dark as you were lucky enough to receive that casting) but the 'H' gets gradually lighter as the enchantment diminishes.
The letters do indeed fade away in Natuk. But in POWS the fade effect is backward because the background behind the letters is bright instead of dark. Thus as the spell weakens, the letters counterintuitively get darker. I tested it pretty thoroughly.

By the way, I wish there was more documentation on the monk's Jidesekan skill. Unfortunately even WaybackMachine doesn't have the content of the old forum with all the POWS topics. www.proudft.com/tod.html is the only real info about Jidesekan, but I'm not sure how much of it applies to POWS.

I recently discovered that 2-handed weapons get extra damage in POWS/TOD but probably not in Natuk. Also, it seems that there's +1 extra damage for each 50 points of skill in a weapon in POWS/TOD but perhaps not Natuk (or I just never noticed it in Natuk because it was undocumented).

Finally, there are a few replies to the following new POWS topic that might interest you:
www.proudft.com/smf_forum/index.php?topic=51.0

Kodi

Novice
Blackadder said:
What a crying shame that this game was never finished....
The game has a full story, including an ending. SkeleTony has said it even has some alternate endings.

Also the writing and dialog are quite good, and the acclaimed Proudfoot tactical depth has been taken to an even higher level.

I'm looking forward to playing Tower of Darkness, which I'm told uses essentially the same system as POWS.

SkeleTony

Augur
Tower of Darkness is a roguelike game using the POWS engine and mechanics.

About the alternate endings...

Hint: 1 ending can be achieved if you manage your game the way the New York Yankees are managed/owned. Specifically the way that the Yankees end up vying for a championship EVERY YEAR.

You can literally BUY a win with enough money. IIRC has something to do with buying the Plutocratic crown of some nation.

The other ending is of course the whole Blinden Shrine/kill the big foozle one...

I cannot remember what the third is for some reason. I will have a look at whatever notes I have on my hard drive.

Kodi

Novice
Thanks for the hint!

Concerning merchant trading, I forgot two other factors that also affect profitability: the haggle skill and the % value of the type of goods in the origin country (lower % values seem to be better).

SkeleTony

Augur
Kodi said:
Thanks for the hint!

Concerning merchant trading, I forgot two other factors that also affect profitability: the haggle skill and the % value of the type of goods in the origin country (lower % values seem to be better).

Also the Haggling skill is broken in that if you raise the skill high enough(like past '150' or so IIRC) it is possible to buy products from a merchant then re-sell them to the same merchant for a profit.

SkeleTony

Augur
AndhairaX said:
I played this a lot when it came out. Still wish Proudft would finish it, but IMO I think its too late now. He's probablyfogotten how to code it by now.

It is a 'roguelike' using the POWS engine and game system(and graphics, etc.). It is finish-able and kind of unique amongst roguelikes(party based, graphical, only ten levels to the dungeon etc.).

SkeleTony said:
AndhairaX said:

It is a 'roguelike' using the POWS engine and game system(and graphics, etc.). It is finish-able and kind of unique amongst roguelikes(party based, graphical, only ten levels to the dungeon etc.).

Interesting. Kicking myself that I haven't played this one. I automatically dismissed it due to not having the usual world that Proudfoot games have. But if it has the same system and combat...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom