Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Location concept art

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Link

I need some opinions on locations concept art. This art will be used as an overview to give players an idea of what a place is supposed to look like. So, when you enter a town, such an overview picture will be displayed, with fast navigation options.

Anyway, this was one of the mass-produced towns when the Empire was running the show. Now, the town is slowly decaying, there are no resources to fix it properly, so crumbling walls and fallen towers are getting replaced by weaker versions. Overall, it looks like a plague is slowly eating away the old strong town leaving behind a new weaker one.

So, opinions, please

Edit: Added another image. A town was completely destroyed, but this arcane tower was magically protected and thus survived untouched. After the war it was sealed to protect a library inside and to protect any remaining artifacts from falling into the wrong hands.

Fez

Erudite
Looks interesting. Doesn't give away much though.

Vault Dweller

Developer
I added another image. As for "not giving away much" can you specify that remark? Did you expect more from this particular image or what?

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Fantastic pictures. I'd love to see some background behind the tower (cause it's in the remains of a city...). It feels a bit empty with the white background; of course I know it's just concept art.
Fast navigation options? Kewl, just like in Fallout, right?

Vault Dweller

Developer
Thanks, Elwro. The tower is the first sketch, so there will be more background, I want to show the ruins of a large city and the untouched tower in the middle for the contrast.

Fast navigation would be like in Fallout.

So, overall, what do you think of the idea of using the concept art in game. We can put a piece of art for every area, including the inside of the tower, for example. I know that we can't do great in-game graphics and stunning visuals, but I think that if we can throw in some pictures to show you the locations to get your imagination going and filling up the rest, that would be a good idea. Comments?

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Vault Dweller said:
So, overall, what do you think of the idea of using the concept art in game. We can put a piece of art for every area, including the inside of the tower, for example. I know that we can't do great in-game graphics and stunning visuals, but I think that if we can throw in some pictures to show you the locations to get your imagination going and filling up the rest, that would be a good idea. Comments?
DO IT. A good piece of concept art once in a while is better and more memorable than 3d modelling and 64MB textures.

Naked_Lunch

Erudite
Wow, that's some amazing art. I also concur with Elwro about throwing in the concept art, due to the fact it's so good.

So, VD, when can we expect this game to be out?

Spazmo

Erudite
Speaking of fast navigation, I hope you're planning on reducing the amount of walking as much as possible. Basically, whenever I'm on any map of a city, I want to be able to just hit the map button and instantly warp to any other part of the city (provided, of course, that I've explored both locations the old fashioned way first). I really hate when a game makes you walk to the edge of a map or all the way to the exit grid to leave an area.

Fez

Erudite
Nice art in the game in the form of those kind of paintings would be awesome. I always like to see that kind of thing. It would help the imagination fill in the gaps. Put them in for each area if you can.

By my eariler comment I just meant it was a bit vauge and empty as it is, similar to what Elwro said. Not that is was bad.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Elwro said:
DO IT. A good piece of concept art once in a while is better and more memorable than 3d modelling and 64MB textures.
Done then.

Naked_Lunch said:
Wow, that's some amazing art
Thanks.

So, VD, when can we expect this game to be out?
Hard to say. If we were to go with the existing graphics (see the first screen) then in 2-3 months as the rest is already done. However, considering the initial "where are the particle effects" reaction, we are trying to bump up the in-game graphics a notch or two. Whether it would be worth the time and efforts I do not know at the moment. We'd have something to show in 3-4 weeks, and in a few days we'll post a trading screen with itamz!

Spazmo said:
Speaking of fast navigation, I hope you're planning on reducing the amount of walking as much as possible. Basically, whenever I'm on any map of a city, I want to be able to just hit the map button and instantly warp to any other part of the city (provided, of course, that I've explored both locations the old fashioned way first).
Already done. We've tried to eliminate all redundant tasks, and walking back and forth was at the top of the list.

Fez said:
Put them in for each area if you can
Can do.

By my eariler comment I just meant it was a bit vauge and empty as it is, similar to what Elwro said. Not that is was bad.
While they aren't finished yet, how would you improve them? What would you like to see?

Mefi

Prophet
Patron
waiting for a train at Perdido Street Station
It just looks very, very good.

I played a Japanese RPG some time ago which used concept art instead of r0x0r graphics, it worked well.

I think if you are planning to add a few splashes of colour that would help a little, not even necessarily painted in but just shades to catch the eye and lead you into the picture a bit more. Like an architectural drawing if you know what I mean?

Sarkile

Magister
Patron
I think water colors would go well with a lot of that art, but I doubt that would portray the mood you're going for very well. And do you remember the name of that jrpg?

Mefi

Prophet
Patron
waiting for a train at Perdido Street Station
edit: bah - can't get a direct link to review/artwork. It's called Unlimited Saga .The game truly sucked in many, many ways but the way it used its artwork and music to create atmosphere was outstanding. But without a game to go with it, it was just a pretty slideshow set to music.

Stark

Liturgist
Sarkile said:
I think water colors would go well with a lot of that art, but I doubt that would portray the mood you're going for very well.

kind of like Darklands? that was really well done.

and i think it can go well with what VD potray ingame, though VD needs to look for a good watercolor painter first.

ps: VD, this game is shaping up very nicely. :)

Rabby

Liturgist
I think a nice concept art and some tasteful, appropriate background music sets up the mood extremely well. There seems to be another thread talking about sound and music, but I'd like to add that giving some thought to location-specific and event-specific music may be a good investment.

I'll follow up with a post in the sound and music thread.

Rabby

Edit: Hmm. . . I only see one picture through the link posted above, and it's the concept art of an entire city with labels at the right. How many pictures are there supposed to be? I get an error when I try to click "next" and "last."

Vault Dweller

Developer
There were 4 or 5 images, but for some reasons that image hosting place is fucked up now. I'll repost and post more art later.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom