Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's survive the Dark Earth (Embrace The Darkness)

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Since IMAGESUCK has put codex on the black list, in order to see the images you must do this : LINK

What a surprise ! I'm back with another LP of a game you've never heard of, but you should. Dark Earth is the name... and Post-Apocalyptic-Steampunk(?) action/adventure is the game. It was published in 1996 by Microprose with a badass --and ugly as hell-- guy with wolverine claws on the cover...

104059330800.jpg

BROFIST !

At least that's what everyone, except the Germans, got. In Germany it was sold like this :

124793445700.jpg

Wow, nipple-twisting has gone to a whole different lever here. The marketing division of Microprose was onto something...

Dark Earth has pretty good graphics for its time, with beautiful pre-rendered backgrounds and adequate (if not a bit ugly) 3D models. I was also a bit surprised of the fact that is supports shadows and some lighting effects. The story is good (at least up to the point I've played it), voice acting is excellent and while the main plot is linear, there are at times multiple ways to proceed and some optional sidequests. Unfortunately the game doesn't achieve greatness because of some gameplay shortcomings.

Movement is oldschool alone in the dark/Bioforge style and it's a bit clunky especially when it comes to combat. While the game is at heart an adventure, it has quite a few combat sequences and they feel like a chore you just want to get over with, to move on. Another problem is that the game becomes a race against time, after a while and that combined with the fact that you have to use save points, can make the game a bit frustrating at times. Nevertheless I think it's a pretty good game and it should be played by adventure game fans that can tolerate some clunky combat.

Well, let's get on with it.

DARK EARTH

darkor.jpg

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
screen0001.jpg

screen0002i.jpg

Code:
Chapter 1:

,---.          o          |        ,--.                          
|---|,---.,---..,---.,---.|---     |   |,---.,---.,---.,-.-.,---.
|   ||   ||    ||---'|   ||        |   ||    |---',---|| | |`---.
`   '`   '`---'``---'`   '`---'    `--' `    `---'`---^` ' '`---'

Welcome to the future. Or should I say... the past ?

screen0006.jpg

The streets are filled with punks...

screen0009.jpg

screen0010v.jpg

Huh ? what's that in the sky ?

screen0013.jpg

If I had to make a wild guess, I'd say that things are about to get nasty...

screen0016.jpg

screen0019.jpg

screen0023.jpg

screen0031.jpg

screen0032.jpg

screen0035.jpg

screen0036o.jpg

screen0037q.jpg

Black Fire raining from the skies engulfed the planet,
the earth opened and the seas flowed over the land.
The cities of light erected by the ancients turned to dust,
and the world was plunged into everlasting darkness.

screen0049.jpg

screen0051.jpg

screen0053.jpg

screen0054.jpg

Guided by their faith, they set off in search of a land free of the
Black Shroud, where life could once more again spring forth.
They were the "Wanderers" -men and women in search of light and hope
amid the perils of the Darklands.

screen0074.jpg

... until the glorious day when the fathers of our fathers' fathers finally ceased their wondering.

screen0080.jpg

screen0082.jpg

screen0084.jpg

screen0085.jpg

screen0087.jpg

screen0088.jpg

screen0090.jpg

The future of the entire city lies in the hands of a single man.

screen0095.jpg

In order to survive the terrible ordeals he faces, he must seek the help of those around him.

- His beloved Khalhi...
- Zed, his brother in arms...
- His father Rylsaghar...
- Lory the Great Sunseer...
- Darnys, the Scavenger...

screen0105.jpg

screen0106.jpg

screen0107.jpg

screen0108.jpg

:gasp:

sc00004.jpg

sc00006.jpg

Phew... it was just a dream. It seems our hero dreams in movie-trailer format.

yaster

Liturgist
Sweet, I remember demo and nice atmosphere it established. Was meant to play/try it for some time, If only my list wouldn't be so big and I had more time. Do it for me then, make amends for my sins.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
GLHF, all I can remember from playing this game was that it was superconfusing and bugged to hell and back, gamebreaking bugs included.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
I couldn't even run it at first, but there is a patch that fixes certain things and makes it playable with XP. So far at least I haven't faced any major bugs, just the occasional crash.

Good grief, man! Another LP?

Oh well, look at it from the bright side: If you lose the lust to update you'll probably manage to squeeze a couple of PoI updates from me just because I'll be as addicted to this LP as I've been your others.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
So does this mean BloodNet's officially cancelled?!

Also: eeeeenteresting.

spekkio

Arcane
ghostdog said:
I'm back with another LP
:love:

ghostdog said:
Of a game you've never heard of...
ORLY?
This game was well known back in the day, mostly due ITZ game-breaking bugs...

Good luck, insect... You will need it. :cool:

Tails

Arbiter
I played the demo looong time ago, but the Full version didn't work for me. Carry on good sir! :salute:

lightbane

Arcane
Oh man, I know that game. I still had somewhere nearby waiting for me to finish it. I admit that the graphics are ugly (SPECIALLY the cutscenes, oh god lovecraftian faces...). Strangely, though I have not played much of the game, I recall that my spanish version was pretty much bugfree.

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
Never heard of this game before, looking forward to this lp, yours are the best.

Also, those old cheesy 3D faces always make me laugh, they're even worse than the ones in Planescape. Fallout seems to be one of the few games to have made them right.

Crowley9

Novice
I've heard of this game. In fact, I have a boxed set in my closet. Umm, with the non-German cover art.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
And in the meantime you should move your jimbo ass and carry on that teenagent LP...

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
I even bought this piece of shit back then but never finished it :( Can't remember what stumped me - probably lack of brain cells and/or bugs. And yeah, 3D-tits galore!

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron

Since the intro left us with some questions here is some more info about the setting and the general backstory...

Dark Earth takes place several centuries in the future, when a meteor collision with Earth tossed up great clouds of dust that blocked out the sun. Earth's remaining survivors began to seek refuge beneath small openings in the clouds, the few places light could be found. Those that remained in the 'dark earth' were hunted by strange creatures, infected with the darkness.

To shelter themselves from the dangerous 'dark earth', the people began to form cities beneath the light called 'Stallites'. At the time of the game, most of the citizens of the stallite have forgotten their history and now worship the light as a god. The stalites are run by 'Sun Priests', who maintain order and prevent the creatures of darkness from harming the city. The game follows the story of Arkhan, a "guardian of fire", protector of the stallite 'Sparta' and the Sun Priests.

So... this was all just a dream -Or was it ?
Hmmm, let's get back to our hero.

Code:
Chapter 2 :

,---.                   |o              ,---.,---.    ,---.o          
|  _..   .,---.,---.,---|.,---.,---.    |   ||__.     |__. .,---.,---.
|   ||   |,---||    |   ||,---||   |    |   ||        |    ||    |---'
`---'`---'`---^`    `---'``---^`   '    `---'`        `    ``    `---'

sc00009.jpg

Nice place he has. And it comes with a hot polygon babe...

sc00011.jpg

sc00013.jpg

arkham.png
I didn't want to wake you. But the first rays from the Sun God are already filtering through...

ugly 3D portraits FTW !

arkham.png
You know, I had a funny dream. I saw the Great Cataclysm and our ancestors-the Wanderers who built our city...

kalhi.png
You dreamed about the founders of Sparta? That's the kind of dream Rylsadhar would like. Your Sunseer father really gets a kick out of History!

arkham.png
Believe it or not, you were in my dream too! Along with my father, Zed, and the Great Sunseer Lory... Even our friend Danrys, the old Scavenger was there.

kalhi.png
Do you think the Sun God might have inspired your dream?

arkham.png
I hope not! Listen, if the Sun God really wanted to do me a favor, he'd rise a little later, so you and I could sleep in peace!

kalhi.png
Arkhan! If your father heard you say that...!

sc00031z.jpg

arkham.png
Alright, alright. Anyway, it's time to leave. If anyone catches us here together, we'll both be in big trouble.

kalhi.png
I know, you're right. There's no sense playing with fire.

So Arkham is a Guardian of fire. They are the ones that uphold the law in the city and protect the sun priests.

guardiansoffire.jpg

Anyway, like a good ol' adventure game you have to search every nook and tran- ,eh, cranny and pick up everything that's pickable. Like this piece of meat for instance.

sc00035.jpg

sc00036.jpg

There are very few ways to heal in Dark Earth and this meat is rather valuable. We better keep it safe in our underpants. Searching our room we come across more useful things...

sc00038.jpg

sc00039.jpg

Ah, our trusty saber ! There are no unkillable NPC's here and we can actually take on the dark path and kill everyone we don't like. We can also choose to take a hard-ass demeanor in dialog and make people mad. But this route is not really advisable because combat is best to be avoided. However there will be times where we'll go XTREME.

On another note we can interact with many of the items lying around and Arkam will make some remarks about them. We can even wash our face, unbelievable !

sc00042.jpg

Heavy Rain has nothing on Dark Earth.

We better put on our uniform. If we moved around with our underwear, we'd receive some funny remarks from other NPC's, but eventually we'd have to wear it. There are many times when NPC's will react differently according to what you're wearing, what your actions have been, what your demeanor is and if you approach them armed or unarmed.

sc00044.jpg

sc00046.jpg

Slick.

This here is a save point, horrible creatures.

sc00048.jpg

Ok, time to head out.

sc00050.jpg

zed.png
(from outside) The Provost Dhorkan summoned you. You're gonna get in big trouble if you don't get out here quick!

sc00058.jpg

arkham.png
I don't want Provost Dhorkan to see you. You know how strict he is about letting outsiders into the Guardians of Fire barracks...

kalhi.png
Don't worry Arkhan, I'll leave just as quietly as I came.

Khali is a scavenger and resides in the lower ward. Scavengers are the proletarians of Dark Earth.

scavengers.jpg

Outside we meet our friend Zed. If you look closely you can see a gun tied to his belt. It seems guns are still in use...

sc00064.jpg

zed.png
Arkhan, finally! Look, I have to get going... it's time to head up and start training. Captain Phedoria's waiting for me. Not exactly the most patient person in the world, as we know.

arkham.png
Training, huh ?

zed.png
If you feel like it, why don't you just come with me. Now's your chance. The next time the Sun God rises, I'm off on a new expedition into the Darklands.

The hair, the face...

...WARRIOR ?!

warriorf.jpg

The implications are mindblowing.

Eh whatever... we better go with Zed. Getting accustomed with combat controls is imperative.

sc00074.jpg

zed.png
Don't worry, you won't get hurt... we won't land real blows!

arkham.png
So, you ready for a little friendly sparring?

zed.png
Whenever you're ready! ... let's go!

Thankfully if you press F1 you can see the layout of the controls. When we enter combat we should not forget to equip our weapon or we'll be fighting with bare hands...

sc00084.jpg

Combat basically consists of you hitting the "attack" button which will make Arkam perform one of his attack moves. Those moves can either be sword thrusts, swings , kicks or punches. I don't think it makes any difference on the damage you do to the opponent. All that matters is to hit him. You can also jump back and try to dodge. Finally, there is a special attack move, but we can't do it yet.

sc00086.jpg

We can also spar with Captain Phedoria. She's a much harder opponent, that can evade a lot of our attacks...

sc00093.jpg

arkham.png
Captain Phedoria, how would you like a friendly little training session?

phedoria.png
Friendly, huh? "En garde" !

sc00097.jpg

sc00099.jpg

sc00104.jpg

Bah, she doesn't know shit, our endurance is legendary... Khali can vouch for this.
Ok, enough with the training. We better go and see the chief.

sc00116.jpg

dhorkan.png
Ah, Arkhan, it's you.

arkham.png
Provost Dhorkan, I'm sorry, I... I was... uh...

It seems we're a tad late.

dhorkan.png
Save your arrogance and your lame excuses. I'm not in the mood!

I knew that a guy named Dhorkan was going to be a jerk.

dhorkan.png
The Great Sunseer Lory has called an important meeting at the temple of the Sun God. You've been designated to guard the door to the Council Chamber.

arkham.png
Yes sir !

dhorkan.png
Guardian Jedar has been waiting for you. Go down and take up your post before the Great Sunseer arrives.

If we mess around the room and don't leave immediately, he'll get mad.

sc00128.jpg

We better leave. We have our orders, but we'll wander around a bit for now. There's a balcony out here, let's take a look.

sc00139.jpg

sc00141.jpg

arkham.png
During the Great Cataclysm, whole mountains crashed into the sea.

Fascinating. The door here leads to a storage room, where we find a flask full of Stohll. I'll assume Stohll is some kind of alcohol that can be used as a healing potion. Firewater, if you may.

sc00146.jpg

Upstairs we find the master oiler. I suppose he distills the fuel for certain machines or weapons (flamethrower ? :smug: )

sc00152.jpg

He isn't pleased with Arkam being there...

sc00157.jpg

Now, with TAB we can change our stance to a more threatening one. (They must have copied this innovashun from Alpha Protocol.)

sc00160a.jpg

sc00161.jpg

Meh, that wasn't extreme at all. Anyway, it was just a demonstration. We'll get different responses from NPCs this way.

bogdaran.png
Beat it, I'm busy !

Not much else here to do now. There's an Oil barrel that we may need later , but it's empty at this point. Let's check the other door in the balcony... It leads to something that looks like a prison.

sc00169.jpg

Nothing noteworthy here now except the save point. We should head down.

sc00171.jpg

So, Arkam - Guardian Of Fire, has been ordered to guard the holy council ! But not in this update, I'm afraid. We'll be doing it next time, among other things...

Light (and steel) be with you

sc00000.jpg

lightbane

Arcane
You forgot to comment that selecting the EXTREME mode will make Arkam adopt a more THREATENING pose (and of course the voice acting will be more aggressive), Ass Effect invented nothing as you see...

PS: Also, the Provost is a true dick, if you talk to him too many times, or mess his room for too much time, he'll attack you, and if you kill him, Phedoria will appear and one-hit-kill you.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Heh, I guess Phedoria used a gun, those things are one-hit-kills.

spekkio

Arcane
Good job.

BUMP for moar!

I wonder what did authors achieve by using early-3d technology... Shitty graphics, even for its time? Confusing controls? Man, 3d was overrated back in the 90-ties...

Hoodoo

It gets passed around.
Dumbfuck
codex_heart.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom