Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's survive the Clock Tower... (100% Complete)

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
The Texas Pruning-Shears Massacre? Awesomesauce.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Erebus said:
Looks like Laura forgot the safe word !

And the Panic Button is a great idea. More games should have one !

So, this game is purely adventure, right ? I seem to remember Clock Tower 3 was an action game.

Yeah, it's basically exploration/item using adventure and the "action scenes" consist of Jennifer trying to evade danger and find a safe place. BUT the tension gets to very high levels while trying save her life with that creepy music playing and various things hunting her.

Also this game is pretty non linear (understandable since it has 8 endings) I've already seen some situations play differently according to what you've previously done, and I'm talking major plot changes.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Oh right, and water splashes out poetically in the shape of a butterfly, now I see.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
yeah, the first time I saw the scissor man I also thought "what the hell, was he inside her ?" Which would have been cool in very crazy way.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Now we're left wondering how bored he must be to just hide in a bath tub waiting for a girl to show up, on the off-chance she does.

It always works that way if you think about killers too much

TheCowburner

Educated
TheCowburner said:
But why the fuck did we die here ? You see, I forgot to press the "panic button". Yes there's actually a panic button in this game. When you're in a deadly situation you've got to continuously press the button and *if* Jennifer is in a good state of mind she may overcome the danger, otherwise ... DEAD END. Also, this can be done only in some situations other times death is certain no matter what.

So, when you are in these "panic button"/deadly situations, does the button start to blink or something? Or du you actually have to guess whether you are in a deadly situation or not?

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
TheCowburner said:
TheCowburner said:
But why the fuck did we die here ? You see, I forgot to press the "panic button". Yes there's actually a panic button in this game. When you're in a deadly situation you've got to continuously press the button and *if* Jennifer is in a good state of mind she may overcome the danger, otherwise ... DEAD END. Also, this can be done only in some situations other times death is certain no matter what.

So, when you are in these "panic button"/deadly situations, does the button start to blink or something? Or du you actually have to guess whether you are in a deadly situation or not?

Actually your portrait starts to blink when such a situation arises, but you must not take your time because you'll end up dead. Thankfully it doesn't require GOW-style button-smashing. It's more a matter of Jennifer's mental state if you'll succeed or not.

Brother None said:
Now we're left wondering how bored he must be to just hide in a bath tub waiting for a girl to show up, on the off-chance she does.

It always works that way if you think about killers too much

As we'll see the scissorman has that supernatural killer aura (like Michael Myers and Jason) So he'll suddenly appear from various places you wouldn't expect him to, and he'll be really hard to kill.

TheCowburner

Educated
ghostdog said:
TheCowburner said:
TheCowburner said:

Actually your portrait starts to blink when such a situation arises, but you must not take your time because you'll end up dead. Thankfully it doesn't require GOW-style button-smashing. It's more a matter of Jennifer's mental state if you'll succeed or not.

Her mental state? So is there a "mental-state-meter" or something which you can affect throughout the game?

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
TheCowburner said:
Her mental state? So is there a "mental-state-meter" or something which you can affect throughout the game?

ghostdog said:
As you can see Jennifer's portrait has changed color and expression. This happens when she gets upset. The more upset she gets the more difficult it will be for her to get out of dangerous situations. And there will be *many* of those. If we stand still for a bit she will kneel down and regain her composure over time.

Clock-Tower111.jpg
Clock-Tower112.jpg

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Yep, according to her mental state and stamina her portrait's background changes color. (as I've already mentioned somewhere in ch2) Best state is blue, worse state is red. If she's in red, the panic button is useless.

She can regain her composure over time by kneeling on the floor and resting.

TheCowburner

Educated
Brother None said:
TheCowburner said:

ghostdog said:
As you can see Jennifer's portrait has changed color and expression. This happens when she gets upset. The more upset she gets the more difficult it will be for her to get out of dangerous situations. And there will be *many* of those. If we stand still for a bit she will kneel down and regain her composure over time.

Clock-Tower111.jpg
Clock-Tower112.jpg

Oh shi... I guess I should read through these things more carefully next time.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Clock-Tower263.jpg

I'm not quite sure what's happening in that picture but it looks scary!

Moar!

Radisshu

Prophet
This game is great. I haven't finished it, though.

I think there are a few ways you can meet the Scissorman for the first time, and they're all semi-cinematic. When I played he leapt from a window in the ceiling.

Too bad about Bloodnet, but this is really cool as well

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
HUNTED

So, where were we ? Oh yes.
While running around the Barrow's mansion:

- A hand came out of a mirror and tried to strangle us.
- An Evil Parrot tried to pluck our eyes out.
- We entered the bathroom, we opened the bathtub curtain and we found Laura hanged and gutted.
- Before we had time to recover from the shock, a lunatic with a pair of giant scissors jumped out of the bathtub. His intentions don't seem good.

Code:
                    _            _ 
  /\  /\_   _ _ __ | |_  ___  __| |
 / /_/ / | | | '_ \| __|/ _ \/ _` |
/ __  /| |_| | | | | |_|  __/ (_| |
\/ /_/  \__,_|_| |_|\__|\___|\__,_|

RUN JENNIFER !

Clock-Tower268.jpg

Incredibly spooky tune playing This is always playing when you're hunted by the scissorman. It's only when the music stops that you're safe.

FUCK. where should we go ? Let's head to the right !

Clock-Tower289.jpg

AAAHHHHH- How the hell did he get here so quickly ?

Clock-Tower299.jpg

PANICBUTTONFTW !

Clock-Tower302.jpg

Carefully calculated faint :

Clock-Tower316.jpg

Sudden push :

Clock-Tower317.jpg

RUN LIKE HELL !!

Clock-Tower318.jpg

HAH, the deranged midget with the scissors isn't that invincible after all... Jennifer can do wonders when that adrenaline kicks in.

But why am I still hearing the damn spooky music ? And what is this constant sound in the background ?

:click: :click: :click: :click:

:click: :click: :click: :click:

it sounds... like... scissors... !

Clock-Tower355.jpg

Ok boys, girls and trannies, this is how it is. We've bought some time, but until we find a safe place to hide, the hunt will continue. And finding that safe place was one of the hardest moments of the game.

Finally, after several deaths, I found it (There are also other hiding places but so far this is the one I'm using.) So, we'll run upstairs and go through the far-left door... (Not the one that's locked, the other one)

Clock-Tower359.jpg
Clock-Tower365.jpg

And Voila ! A storage room. If we manage to climb behind the closet, maybe we can reach safety...

Clock-Tower387.jpg

Ugh... It's not that easy !

Clock-Tower389.jpg

OldBensGhost.png
Luuke... I know you can do it... Use the panic button... Luuuuuke...

Hey, the name's Jennifer !

Clock-Tower400.jpg
Clock-Tower403.jpg

YES ! And just in time. The bastard was right behind us !

Clock-Tower408.jpg
Clock-Tower412.jpg

Finally... the disfigured schizophrenic evil twin of Angus Young, leaves.

Clock-Tower415.jpg

PHEW. That was close. Who was that motherfucker ? I guess we'll eventually find out, or die trying. So, let's search this place. There's a piece of rope on the ground...

Clock-Tower427.jpg

And what about those crates behind the closets ? We'll just need to climb back there...

Clock-Tower452.jpg

Jeniffer_1.png
...No good, too high to climb up.

Hmm, now that the danger is gone, Jennifer doesn't have that extra incentive to perform extraordinary tasks. We'll have to use our heads.

Clock-Tower456.jpg
Clock-Tower460.jpg

Great. So what's in here ?

Clock-Tower465.jpg

Jeniffer_1.png
What kind of clothes are these ? ...It looks like a black robe.

Good, you never know when you may need to dress up like a cultist. Also let's not forget picking up that can of insecticide before leaving.

Clock-Tower471.jpg

INTERMISSION said:
Ok, now I'll show you one of the random moments of Clock Tower. You see this nest here, just outside of the storage room ? The "West Wing Key" we found in the box in the living room could be either placed there or here inside this nest.

Clock-Tower437.jpg

We could use stick to try and bring down the nest but that isn't a good idea since the bird mother wont like that. (Jennifer just isn't good with birds)

Clock-Tower445.jpg

So basically what we need to do is push the crate under the nest...

Clock-Tower478.jpg
Clock-Tower486.jpg

Well, we already have the key, so we find nothing of importance here. But you know, it's alright. It was a demonstration and shit.

But enough with this. Let's head downstairs and enter the corridor right below the one we're now...

Clock-Tower518.jpg

The first door leads into a kitchen.

Clock-Tower525.jpg

After opening the lights we take a look at the fridge.

Clock-Tower534.jpg

A ham ! Hams can be used in so many ways. Jennifer puts it in her inventory.
There's also a calendar on the wall:

Clock-Tower537.jpg

Yeah, today is the day fresh meat arrived in the mansion.
The only other thing of importance here, is the big refrigerator.

Clock-Tower541.jpg

Jeniffer_2.png
!!

Clock-Tower554.jpg

Cockroaches !

Clock-Tower555.jpg

Correction: A shitload of huge cockroaches !

Clock-Tower569.jpg

Clock-Tower575.jpg

Clock-Tower583.jpg

Ahh, Jennifer can't seem to get a break. But we'll show those fuckers who's the boss. We have a can of insecticide, right ? Let's put it to good use, because there's something shiny in there and we want it.

Clock-Tower585.jpg
Clock-Tower591.jpg

Bye bye filthy insects. The shinies are ours.

Jeniffer_1.png
... a key is laying on the bottom.

Awesome.
Now, let's check out that other room in the far left...

Clock-Tower600.jpg

Looks like a barn... but what's that there ? Don't tell me...

Clock-Tower602.jpg

A CAR ! Thank heavens, our ticket out of here ! Would it be too much to ask for the keys to be on the engine ?

Clock-Tower607.jpg

Jeniffer_1.png
The keys aren't here...

Crap ! Would it be too much to ask for the keys to be in that wooden box ?

Clock-Tower614.jpg

Hell yeah ! Lady fortune is smiling upon us. Bye bye creepy mansion !

Clock-Tower622.jpg

Clock-Tower624.jpg

Assuming it has gas... or that it's actually working... or that she knows how to drive... or that she-

Jeniffer_1.png
But.. the others... I can't leave them here.

Dammit. She wants to play the hero. Oh well, she's right. Two of her friends are still in here and we haven't seen them die horribly, yet.

I'll just let her rest on top of that ledge --this seems like it's another hiding place-- and call it a day...

Clock-Tower629.jpg

Next time we'll meet some pretty lively mannequins, find occult references, confront a eerily intelligent black cat and re-unite with our dear friend, Ann. All that, with our pal, scissorman, on the lookout.

spekkio

Arcane
Awesome!
I leeched and patched this game long time ago but didn't have time to play it. Now I don't have to. :)

Krash

Arcane
Too bad this game seems so good - now I have to stop reading this LP so I don't spoil it. :(

Oh well, you still get a thumbs up from me for introducing me to this gem, ghostdog

Drah

Novice
I think you can actually kill that red parrot with the bed coverings so you can hide in that room.

Good game, although I recall all the sequels were pretty bad. Especially the psx one with little laughing children running after you with kitchen knifes.

Ogg

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
Krash said:
Too bad this game seems so good - now I have to stop reading this LP so I don't spoil it. :(

Oh well, you still get a thumbs up from me for introducing me to this gem, ghostdog
ghostdog is an expert in convincing you that one old forgotten game should be your next play.

Erebus

Arcane
Re: HUNTED

ghostdog said:
A ham ! Hams can be used in so many ways.

Yeah, if Scissorman is either jewish or muslim, you could keep him away with it !

(Okay, so I stole the idea from Walter Scott. Sue me.)

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Drah said:
I think you can actually kill that red parrot with the bed coverings so you can hide in that room.
Hmm it seems this can be done only the first time you face the parrot. If you leave and return the parrot will not attack you again.

Good game, although I recall all the sequels were pretty bad. Especially the psx one with little laughing children running after you with kitchen knifes.
Yeah, I watched the intro for the sequel and it was laughably bad. Unbelievably bad VO didn't help either. I may try CT3 or Haunting Ground (something like a spiritual successor to CT as I understand) for the PS2 though, they seem ok games.

Ogg said:
ghostdog is an expert in convincing you that one old forgotten game should be your next play.
Hey, that's what LP's are for :)

Yeah, if Scissorman is either jewish or muslim, you could keep him away with it !
Heh, this reminds me of that Vampire movie where crosses didn't work because the Vampire was Jewish.
Although to tell you the truth I had something else in mind about Jennifer when talking about the ham

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom