Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Bard's Tale IV Kickstarter Update #8: Brian Fargo Q&A #2

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Bard's Tale IV; Brian Fargo; Chris Keenan; InXile Entertainment

Shortly after being funded, the funding rate for the Bard's Tale IV Kickstarter campaign crashed once again. It appears that E3 has done what the weekend could not. In a new Kickstarter update released this morning, Brian Fargo attempts to shore up the troops in a somewhat apologetic new Q&A video. In particular, he tries to allay people's concerns about the principles behind the game's save system which he described in the previous Q&A video. Although I suspect that by bringing it up he's only triggered more concern, as a glance at the Kickstarter comments will confirm.

Other than that, the campaign has also unlocked four more gamification achievements, adding some "old-school premium graph paper" (lol) to the game box. Yes, the digital versions will receive a PDF of that! One more achievement and inXile will also Red Boots DLC to the game. $49.95 not required.

Darkzone

Arcane
Fargo has shoot himself in the foot with the last Q&A.
Save is an important topic, because of some drama queens that are assuming that this is a checkpoint system. A clear statement from Fargo that this is not a checkpoint system would have silenced this whiners. Also the grid based answer is not clear enough, he should have said: No you do not have to follow a grid, you are free in your movement.

M0RBUS

Augur
I backed this in like the first four hours. I saw that video, I knew I wanted to play this.

It helped that I was playing through Legend of Grimrock at the time :P

Septaryeth

Augur
Bards Tale IV only just made passed its goal, while the obviously-not-indie-by-sucking-wealthy-publisher-sony's-cock-and-promotion-in-E3 Shenmue 3 is about to make triple of that amount on the same fucking Kickstarter.
Words cannot describe my fury.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Look at the front pages of the gaming journalism sites. There's no way BT4 can get a smidgen of press in this environment. I predict no substantive updates until the E3 hype is over. He might do more Q&A type stuff though.

Septaryeth

Augur
Its a blobber, and a its bit of a miracle one on this high of budget got funded.
23 days is enough time to get the ball rolling again.

I know, but still I can't believe KS let Sony pulled off a stunt like that.

I have no quarrel with Shenmue 3 or its fans, but it's obvious not an indie-project that actually needs the attention of crowdfunding and shouldn't be on KS at the first place.
Anyone can see Sony the puppeteer does not need the relatively pathetic amount from KS to develop this 3A title.
It's just there to borrow Yu Suzuki's face to ride on the promotional effect from recent crowdfunding successes.

And that's what disgusts me, not the fact Shenmue 3 made more than Bards Tale, but a leading industry publisher stealing the spotlight...
From projects that actually needs this meager amount of money and attention.
On an indie-supporting platform.
For a fucking advertisement the backers themselves paid for.

This world is too cruel. :negative:

Darkzone

Arcane
Shenmue 3 is not the reason why BTIV is running bad currently at the KS. BTIV was running bad, before even Shenmue 3 appeared on KS. It can be quite possible that Shenmue 3 is helping KS to grow, by luring people into KS that normally wouldn't go to KS. The E3 and the Sommersales of GOG and Steam are a problem. The Blobbers are a now a little in a problem brought by LoG, because of the obvious grid and RT. The first LoG sold well and most of my friends told me that they only bought it, because it only costs 14.99 at Steam, but they didn't finish it and neither bought the second one. So there has been a problem with the gameplay that turned them off. For the last two days of BTIV KS i blame also a little bit Fargo himself, as my first post here indicates. Important are clear messages and to state confident a clear goal, despite the knowledge that this may change in the development. Even uncle Adolf knew this: The message has to be easy to understand, so that everyone hears it how it is meant. And if you see that there are more people pissing them self, because of a certain mechanic then this means that this has to be optional.

Last edited:

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Yeah, all the evidence points to big projects leading to more pledges for smaller projects, not the other way around.

karnak

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
Look at the front pages of the gaming journalism sites. There's no way BT4 can get a smidgen of press in this environment. I predict no substantive updates until the E3 hype is over. He might do more Q&A type stuff though.
One of those sites is highlighting the fact that, in Fallout-of-Duty 4, your dog companion is now immortal.

I suppose that, in Elder Scrolls 6, players will have the option to "press A to ressurrect your character".

Darkzone

Arcane
[sings]Update. We got an update... for Kickstarter.[/sings]
Ok wrong company, but true statement. Someone pls opens a new Thread for the new Update.

Peter_the_Bard

Educated
Shenmue 3 is not the reason why BTIV is running bad currently at the KS.

Meeting their goal and making 1 million plus for a blobber is bad? inXile has committed to matching funding raised with their own money, so that's at least 2.5 million guaranteed for making this game. That's fine for a blobber if they have an ironclad design doc and keep feature creep to a minimum.

Darkzone

Arcane
Shenmue 3 is not the reason why BTIV is running bad currently at the KS.
Meeting their goal and making 1 million plus for a blobber is bad? inXile has committed to matching funding raised with their own money, so that's at least 2.5 million guaranteed for making this game. That's fine for a blobber if they have an ironclad design doc and keep feature creep to a minimum.

You are correct with the statement that 1 million plus is for a motherfucking blobber not bad. But we are talking here about an inXile game and the KS fucking love child Fargo. Our Snake Oil Salesman is a money grabbing prodigy, and therefore the current dollar bag is not as good filled as it could be. But nevertheless this KS is currently going towards the 1.9 - 2.6 or on average 2.25 million despite the lows of the past four days. This will result in an end amount of 3.5 - 4.0 million dollar for BTIV, and yes that is not bad for a blobber.
So once again i will link to the document of JoelofDeath and his kickstarter analysis due to previous Kickstarter, because he seems a little bit more correct than my estimations due to the fact, that i exclude WL2 KS and this results is a very PoE heavy formula.
Document that estimates the current BTIV KS in relation to other major computer game KS.
So let me close this with Rageholic Razorfist's: God fucking speed.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Update time with Monte Cook stretch goal:

Mangar, Lagoth, Tarjan and…Monte Cook?
Posted by inXile entertainment
Hey Exiles! It's E3 2015 week, and it's hectic times all around. We have a great update for you all. We have lots to share, including some new talent we're hoping to have join the Bard's Tale team, some glimpses at the game's story background, and even a full track from the brilliant Mark Morgan!

First, here is a quick tour of our E3 showing. Brian, Thomas, Joey Betz and myself stopped by sunny LA to demo Wasteland 2 running on Xbox One. While it’s not Bard’s Tale related, it’s still exciting to show off.

31c8d88037c11c1acd1e494f180e2e81_original.jpg

Show-goers enjoying Wasteland 2 on console for the first time.
aee067281a5753056f85d824246471ca_original.jpg

Brian being interviewed by the press. This was not the first nor the last.
Monte Cook Prepares to Join the Ranks!
Monte Cook of Monte Cook Games will also be joining us as a stretch goal at $1,400,000! Monte Cook, as many of you may know due to his involvement with our other game Torment: Tides of Numenera, is an acclaimed author and game designer. Monte has written hundreds of tabletop roleplaying game books and articles and won numerous awards. Starting out with the Rolemaster and Champions game lines, he soon went to work for TSR where he worked on Dungeons & Dragons, including the 3rd Edition, and the much-celebrated Planescape setting. More recently, he is of course well known for creating the Numenera tabletop setting, The Strange and much more!

6b062206031fb8d4d180f55babd89d5f_original.png

Monte will be taking charge of the design for one of our dungeons with your support. We look forward to working with him to deliver some mind-bending dungeon designs!

Mark Morgan's First Song
As some of you may know, we have a long-standing relationship with the legendary RPG composer Mark Morgan, who is well known both for his work on the Fallout games, Planescape: Torment, and now, Wasteland 2 and the upcoming Torment: Tides of Numenera. Mark has always been a fantastic fit for our games and with The Bard's Tale IV we feel that he will be able to deliver some excellent music as well.

Today, we're excited to offer you an extended peek at an early sampling at some of his work on the game. If it sounds familiar, the first 15 seconds of this song were used in the intro scene of our Kickstarter video.

https://youtu.be/L3EYDujiQ48
Some of you may remember this song's inspiration – The Traveler's Tune – from the original Commodore 64 version of The Bard's Tale, and Mark has remastered and expanded the song featuring brand-new instrumentation and arrangements.

The Old and the New
Today we'd also like to give you a taste of some of the story and lore from the game. Many of our backers have been asking us how this game will fit into the world of Skara Brae. Our lead writer Nathan Long is happy to satisfy some of that curiosity...

In a hundred and fifty years even the bravest deeds become nothing more than bard's tales. Most people today in Skara Brae don’t believe Mangar, Lagoth Zanta, Tarjan, or the brave adventurers who defeated them and their horrors were ever more than legends - and those that do still believe keep silent.

Ever since the Church of the Sword Father civilized the land of Caith and chased out the heathen a hundred years ago, the new Skara Brae, built on top of its ruined predecessor, has become a god-fearing town, where it is dangerous to admit to harboring such superstitious notions or knowing anything of the old ways.

Which is unfortunate, because it's starting to look like the trolls and bloodfiends and hobgoblins from all those fairy stories have returned. Terrible things have been happening in Skara Brae - people slaughtered in their beds by unseen beasts, holy sites desecrated, folk disappearing between field and home, statues of the Mad God found in bloodstained back alleys, and the Song of the Maiden heard again for the first time in a generation. And worse, the people most equipped to deal with these old threats have been made outlaws.

Since the advent of the Fatherites, the practice of magic has been made a sin, and the old races of elf, dwarf, and trow have been banished, with all known ways to their realms smashed and sealed. And now, unable to stop the horrors that have been preying upon Skara Brae, the church has decided to put the blame for them on the Adventurer's Guild, shutting it down and calling its members cultists, witches, and pagans who must be burned at the stake for their unholy crimes.

But though the Guild is boarded up, it lives on in the Skara Brae beneath Skara Brea. Heroes gather nightly in the old sewers, exchanging rumors of fresh footprints in ancient crypts, of lights in the ruined towers of foes centuries dead, and of the Fuath and the Famhair, and a madman who would sacrifice the world to bring about their return.

With the Fatherites turning their backs on the truth and hunting down those who would tell it, the adventurers know they have no one to turn to but themselves. To survive, the elves and the dwarfs and the trow, and the men and women of Caith who still keep the old ways, must now band together and protect a land that wants them dead.

Community Updates
Some of you keeping an eye out may have noticed that milestone 12 has been unlocked! Thanks to an excellently comedic film script by Carlos Uribe (which you can read here), the FREE Red Boots DLC has been unlocked for all Bard's Tale IV backers at $20 or above (that is, anyone who is getting the game). If you’re wondering, “why red boots DLC?”, well, you'll want to check out the team's previous game, Wasteland 2!

2b378be132fc32c2ec0d6818fbfb047c_original.jpg

If you haven’t done so already, check out the full dungeon story text on our Tumblr page. Nathan's itching to continue the tale, so let's keep those achievements coming! We're close to getting a few more, and as you spread the word, it not only helps the campaign but unlocks cool goodies for everyone!

That's all for now, everyone! We hope you enjoyed this sneak peek into the lore. With your continued support we will be able to bring on an amazing roster of talent and make The Bard's Tale IV an even more epic game. As if that possible… :)

Chris Keenan
Project Lead – The Bard’s Tale IV
@RangerKeenan

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BrianFargo
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/TheBardsTale
Tumblr: http://thebardstalerpg.tumblr.com/

I still cringe at the thought of W2 being played on the X-Bone... :argh: It's almost sacrilegious...

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
Wake me up, when we actually get news about the game itself...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom