Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Ubisoft E3 2015 Conference: Non-Obsidian South Park RPG sequel announced

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: South Park: The Fractured But Whole; Ubisoft

Obsidian's South Park: The Stick of Truth was one of last year's more solid high profile RPG releases, achieving commercial and critical success, with some even calling it the best licensed title ever made. In what is E3 2015's top WTF moment so far, their publisher Ubisoft has apparently decided to capitalize on that by producing a cheap sequel at one of its in-house studios. Here is the trailer for Ubisoft San Francisco's South Park: The Fractured But Whole:

Seems like they're ditching the fantasy stuff for some kind of Marvel superhero theme. I wonder if the game is using Obsidian's Onyx engine-based technology, or are they remaking that stuff from scratch?

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
It better not be Onyx - they have to license that from us. More than likely it is the 2D engine they used for Child of Light and Valiant Hearts.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It better not be Onyx - they have to license that from us. More than likely it is the 2D engine they used for Child of Light and Valiant Hearts.

Aww, that would go against my "cheap cash-in" narrative, though.

Athelas, why do you think they're using Obsidian's tech?

Fry

Arcane

Is this the first you guys are hearing of this?

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
If they're not using Onyx, that means they re-did everything in a new engine in a really short amount of time.

WalkinDude

Augur
Patron
Codex 2014
Even if Ubisoft stole Obsidian's engine Feargus would just ask nicely if Obsidian could be considered for #3.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"It better not be Onyx - they have to license that from us."

Maybe they did and your bosses didn't tell you? <>

P.S. SP was fun but I didn't bother finishing it. It got too samey later on. Just not enough depth. This one will likely be way worse.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
I'll edit the post, I don't want to spread msinformation

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
None of that was necessarily "in-engine" footage, all they had to do was make a cartoon like they usually do. ^_^

Diablo169

Arcane
Did they actually show game-play? Just looked like cut-scenes to me, unless i missed something in the trailer. On another note, Obsidian aren't having much luck at the moment are they. :/

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Well, considering that Obsidian had already delivered the blueprint of the game and the art assets + writing came mostly from Trey & Matt, it would be too "nice" of Ubisoft to hire Obsidian again when they can do it themselves.

But if Obsidian did it all on a proprietary engine, then either they licensed it or the Ubisoft team moves really fast. More likely to be the later, especially since they teased having a different combat system. Wouldn't be surprised to see it turn into a beat'em up.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
oh shiiii....

Obsidian getting backstabbed, again.

:deadhorse:

I feel like we need a backstabbing troll smiley, bloody butcher knife style. Would see many uses.

Kz3r0

Arcane
Guys, more simply all art assets and stuff related to the game are property of Ubisoft even if made by Obsidian, par of the course when working on commission.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
The trailer really is a jab at Obsidian.

That was barely even an RPG, Kyle! The combat sucked! We're going to do it bigger, and we will settle for nothing less than a 9.5 on Gamespot!

No, no dream level! This game has to be sweet, lads!

Chunkyman

Augur
Since the first one was surprisingly fun, I'll probably be getting this one as well.

Kz3r0

Arcane
Since the first one was surprisingly fun, I'll probably be getting this one as well.
Ezcept that the ones making this sequel already told us as the prequel sucked, sure they will base their work on it.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
SP is all about making fun of stuff. Hell, Obsidian's SP made fun of turn based combat... while having turn based combat. LMFAO

Zeronet

Learned
I'll laugh if/when this releases and it doesn't get anymore traction than Stick of Truth.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom