Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Worthplaying previews Oblivion

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: Bethesda Softworks; Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

<a href=http://www.worthplaying.com>Worthplaying</a> has posted a <a href=http://www.worthplaying.com/article.php?sid=29230&mode=thread&order=0>preview</a> of <a href=http://www.elderscrolls.com/home/home.htm>Oblivion</a>, a "an RPG in the truly classic sense of the word". The preview features mistakes and assumptions, but hey, who's perfect?
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>Oblivion's use of sound and voice acting deserves special mention. While the game's score is good, it's not what makes Oblivion an amazing use of in-game audio. Uriel Septim is played by Patrick Stewart, and he lends more grace and dignity to his role than I have ever before seen in video game voice acting. Lines from the opening cut scene that would've been laughably trite as text or in the hands of lesser actors become compelling with Stewart's grave, awe-struck delivery.</blockquote>
<br>
I never understood that fascination with Patric Stewart in the game. He does the voice of the emperor who dies in the first 5 minutes of the game. Does he come back as a ghost side-kick or something?
<br>
<br>

<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.rpgdot.com">RPG Dot</A>

Atrokkus

Erudite
I never understood that fascination with Patric Stewart in the game. He does the voice of the emperor who dies in the first 5 minutes of the game. Does he come back as a ghost side-kick or something?
Heh, here in Russia/CIS, my friends ask me "who the fuck is this Stewart?", cuz his films never got popular here.

Balor

Arcane
Exactly.
Never heard of him before.
And I heard his VO from that ILLEGAL! vid.
Nothing special, really. At least, for my non-refined tastes.
I wish they'd better hire a GOOD writer to improve their storyline and quests instead.
I bet they gonna suck.

Chefe

Erudite
Patrick Stewart isn't popular over in Russia? Well, that means your average IQ is higher than here, especially among the nerd/geek groups. Congratulations.

Fuck Startrek. Fuck Stewart. He's a B-grade actor. The only reason he's popular is because he's the least suckiest among a cast of people that were hired off the street. He's really not that famous at all.

They should have gotten Sean Connery to do the emperor if they wanted someone famous (and HEY! Sean is actually famous!). At least he's been in a medieval fantasy movie before. But nooo, they get a fucking space captain from the future.

Oh well, maybe the assassins will end the emperor's life before I do. Die Stewart.

Drakron

Arcane
A french captain with a english accent from the future.

Its not the first time he done royality, I remenber he done the voice of the King in Lands of Lore and King Richard Robin Hood:Men in Tights.

tanjo

Novice
Chefe said:
Patrick Stewart isn't popular over in Russia? Well, that means your average IQ is higher than here, especially among the nerd/geek groups. Congratulations.

Fuck Startrek. Fuck Stewart. He's a B-grade actor. The only reason he's popular is because he's the least suckiest among a cast of people that were hired off the street. He's really not that famous at all.

They should have gotten Sean Connery to do the emperor if they wanted someone famous (and HEY! Sean is actually famous!). At least he's been in a medieval fantasy movie before. But nooo, they get a fucking space captain from the future.

Oh well, maybe the assassins will end the emperor's life before I do. Die Stewart.

Uhm not to turn this into a Patrick Stewart argument, but he was acting on stage in plays (some of which have a medieval setting) 30 years before you were begging your mom to buy you The Sims. He's a really fucking good actor and voice actor. Too bad he's only in Oblivion for 15 minutes.

MrSmileyFaceDude

Bethesda Game Studios
Developer
Chefe said:

Stewart was a knight in Excalibur back in 1981. He's also done a ton of Shakespeare, in movies, TV and live, among other period pieces such as The Lion In Winter. He's done a lot more besides geek stuff like Star Trek, Dune and X-Men. He's also done quite a bit of voice acting, in animation as well as video games. I think his talents and experience make him a natural fit for medieval fantasy.

Kotario

Liturgist
Not to mention Sejanus from I, Claudius and lengthy experience in the Royal Shakespeare Company (Stewart also has done a very nice rendition of Peter and the Wolf).

Simply because you are completely ignorant of Stewart's career, Chefe, does not mean that it doesn't exist. Though you reached that conclusion anyway.

Cimmerian Nights

Liturgist
I could care less about Star Trek, but he's not B-actor. He was in the mideival fantasy movie Excalibur as mentioned. He's woked with the likes of David Lynch, Coppola, Boorman.

Drakron

Arcane
I, Claudius is a great series.

But yes, he is a B-class celebrity and, for example, Mark Hammill have far more experience as a voice actor.

Chefe

Erudite
Gotcha.

But, he's still B-class, and I still don't like him.

Cimmerian Nights

Liturgist
Drakron said:
I, Claudius is a great series.

But yes, he is a B-class celebrity and, for example, Mark Hammill have far more experience as a voice actor.

Oh blow it out your ass. That's only because Mark Hammil can't get a job that shows his face.

Kotario

Liturgist
Fair enough Chefe.

The thing about Stewart's voice acting is he only does his voice (at least, that is all I have ever heard from him). So his voice is only appropriate for specific characters.

tanjo

Novice
B-class celebrity, maybe (though arguable (X-Men, for which he's one of the biggest selling points, is a B-movie franchise?)), but an A-class actor.

Anyways, none of this makes a good video game if the gameplay's bad, and that's the point of this whole discussion of why Stewart matters so God damn much in every single preview, so who cares.

ExMonk

Scholar
Kotario said:
Not to mention Sejanus from I, Claudius and lengthy experience in the Royal Shakespeare Company (Stewart also has done a very nice rendition of Peter and the Wolf).

Simply because you are completely ignorant of Stewart's career, Chefe, does not mean that it doesn't exist. Though you reached that conclusion anyway.

Well said. But reaching conclusions on the basis of complete ignorance is obviously a way of life for almost everyone here on rpgcodex. Why pick on Chefe? :wink:

Sarvis

Erudite
MrSmileyFaceDude said:
Stewart was a knight in Excalibur back in 1981.

Holy shit! I didn't know that... which knight was he? Used to watch that movie all the time...

Rat Keeng

Liturgist
Also, Stewart can control your mind, he'll say "make it so", and all your clothes'll come off, and you'll try to cover up but he's seen everything.

And anyway, his and Mark Hammil's voices are very different, and if they wanted a low dark voice for the emperor, Pat's a good choice. Word of advice though, if you want Stewart's voice in a good RPG, try Lands of Lore :wink:

Vault Dweller

Developer
ExMonk said:
Well said. But reaching conclusions on the basis of complete ignorance is obviously a way of life for almost everyone here on rpgcodex. Why pick on Chefe? :wink:
You have something to say, Monk? Go ahead and say it. No need to drop one-liners.

ExMonk

Scholar
Vault Dweller said:
ExMonk said:
You have something to say, Monk? Go ahead and say it. No need to drop one-liners.

In almost all cultures, it is sage advice to "think before you speak." Similarly, those who write non-fiction have typically aimed at following the canon: "Check your facts before you write." Something about digital communication lends itself to ignoring these time-honored customs. Examples of this abounds here on rpgcodex, though I see it everywhere online. "Shooting off one's mouth" has become a finely honed craft here. Having said this, however, there are many intelligent posters here, who have positively provoked my thought. You are one -- when you try.

Twinfalls

Erudite
ExMonk said:
Vault Dweller said:
ExMonk said:

In almost all cultures, it is sage advice to "think before you speak."blah.

You ought to take your own advice. You just said "reaching conclusions on the basis of complete ignorance is obviously a way of life for almost everyone here on rpgcodex".

Care to back that up with examples? Or are you happy to demonstrate to the world what a foolish hypocrite you are?

Chefe

Erudite
ExMonk said:
In almost all cultures, it is sage advice to "think before you speak." Similarly, those who write non-fiction have typically aimed at following the canon: "Check your facts before you write." Something about digital communication lends itself to ignoring these time-honored customs. Examples of this abounds here on rpgcodex, though I see it everywhere online. "Shooting off one's mouth" has become a finely honed craft here. Having said this, however, there are many intelligent posters here, who have positively provoked my thought. You are one -- when you try.

Only idiots write common knowledge in garble to act like they're smart. Fuck off and die, monk boy.

Vault Dweller

Developer
ExMonk said:
Vault Dweller said:
ExMonk said:

In almost all cultures, it is sage advice to "think before you speak." Similarly, those who write non-fiction have typically aimed at following the canon: "Check your facts before you write." Something about digital communication lends itself to ignoring these time-honored customs. Examples of this abounds here on rpgcodex, though I see it everywhere online. "Shooting off one's mouth" has become a finely honed craft here. Having said this, however, there are many intelligent posters here, who have positively provoked my thought.
That much is obvious. What I meant is "care to back your claims up with examples and present your own position".

jiujitsu

Cipher
Project: Eternity
Fuck all of you! Patrick Stewart is the best person ever!

But seriously, he's damn good. He's Gurney Halleck. He's Professor X. He's... CAPTAIN JEAN PICARD USS ENTERPRISE. :ytmnd:

Even though I hate Star Trek and the stupid as fuck Dune movie I still like Patrick Stewart because he kicks ass.

Stop being fags. Faggots. :cool:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom