Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review RPG Codex Review: Pillars of Eternity, by Decado

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tags: Obsidian Entertainment; Pillars of Eternity

June 2, 2015: Bard's Tale IV Kickstarter launched, taking inspiration from Hearthstone. Larian's composer Kirill Pokrovsky dies at the age of 50. Fallout 4 is teased by Bethesda, with Chris Avellone siding with the latter against the Codex.

Last but not least: RPG Codex publishes a second, positive Pillars of Eternity review submitted by esteemed community member Decado. (Check out the negative review by Darth Roxor here.)

Have a snippet:

PoE is more than the mechanic it uses, and in this regard it exists as more than just a cheap appeal to nostalgia. A lot of people were worried about this project because of Obsidian's (unfairly bestowed, in my opinion) reputation for buggy game play. Apart from some ridiculously silly bugs in the first few days of the game’s rollout, the experience is mega solid and highly polished. I run a custom rig with a lot of silly nonsense running in the background and the worst bug I ever had was the loading problem at Raedric's Hold which was fixed within two days. I am not exaggerating when I say Fallout 3 and Skyrim were more buggy in their initial releases than this game. Solid work on that, Obsidian.

I also need to qualify this review slightly, which is something I almost never do. Playing through the game it seems like, for better or worse, it will appeal to the above-mentioned separate demographics in different ways. To the battle-hardened CRPG nerd there are parts of the game that will no doubt disappoint. And indeed, Darth Roxor's review pretty much covers those complaints in detail. I disagree with many of his points, and I disagree with his final conclusion that the game is a let-down, but some of his criticism are spot on.

[...] When I first started PoE I made some comments in the various threads about the game being at least as good as -- if not better than -- the original IE games. I still stand by that. This review is filled with nitpicking, with only very few heavy-duty complaints that make the gameplay suffer. And if I could summarize my demands into one coherent sentence it would be this: Give me more, and make the complexity count.

There is some brilliant stuff in this game. The setting is familiar enough to conjure memories of other games, but it is just weird enough to feel unique. Many of the characters are gems, with terrific writing and voice acting. Whatever my gripes with encounter designs and/or combat difficulty, most of the time I was having fun, which is really the best way to judge if the combat is any good. Rolling a Monk and changing the difficulty level have both contributed to creating a different experience this second time around, which tells me that the game has replay value (though how much, I am not sure. We'll see). The scripted interactions are a cool addition that could stand to see more implementations, and I think Obsidian needs to bite the bullet and be willing to start gating content ala Wasteland 2, so that player choices feel a bit more hefty. But again, these are minor nitpicks. Overall, I had a really good time.

It is a testament to what Obsidian has made that most of the time, I’m playing a game I really like, sometimes in spite of itself. I spent a good portion of this review complaining, but I still like the game, and am playing it again. Which, if you really think about it, mirrors the experience of playing IE games almost perfectly. All of the IE games had problems, some of them glaring: Torment had lousy combat; BGII had a goofy combination of DnD rules, was often too easy, and the rest mechanic allowed for unlimited cheese; IWD could be underwhelming or even boring at spots, etc. I said before that going nostalgic, as Obsidian has done here, often results in friendly fire, that whatever was good in the old games could be better, but whatever is bad could be worse. With that in mind, one thing you cannot say about PoE is that it fails to accurately mimic playing an IE game back in the late 1990s. If you think PoE isn't a real spiritual successor to the IE games, there is a good chance you are misremembering how the IE games actually played.​

Read the full article: RPG Codex Review: Pillars of Eternity, by Decado

Luka-boy

Arcane
Thanks for the review.

Now let's get ready for the inevitable drama.
eating-popcorn-sodat7qka.gif

Popot

Educated
How quaint, this review has already been linked on the codex steam curator page.

naossano

Cipher
If you think PoE isn't a real spiritual successor to the IE games, there is a good chance you are misremembering how the IE games actually played

I recall no fast travel in nor infinite inventory Baldur's Gate...
But it must be because i don't remember how games were played in the 90s...
(Are you aware that those games where the only one some of us could play over and over before Kickstarter happened? Some of us are STILL playing them, others for the first time)

Last edited:
Weasel
So does this mean the VD/Grunker review is dead in the water? After the Roxor review drama I was all prepared to do my Codexian duty by accusing the staff of being shills while spamming repetitive jokes about Doritos :argh:
I'd even prepared a cover page FFS:

IOk8JF4.jpg

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Zorba the Hutt I still wish we'd gotten that review. Maybe later, after the expansion packs, we can get something similar to what that review was aiming to be.

crawlkill

Kill all boxed game owners. Kill! Kill!
I just didn't care about the characters. like, any characters. my character, my party, a single NPC I met. dialogue felt workmanlike, particularly and especially the little NPC ambient chatter you'd get wandering around between party members. just...obligatory. this is not the level of personality I've come to expect of Obsidian games. and there's just so much meaningless, wearisome combat...which I know is an Infinity Engine staple, but I wouldn't mind turning most of it off. I really wouldn't mind if non-action RPGs never had any non-unique encounters at all, really. what's the point of making me prove I can kill the same group of nobodies over and over? I've already proven it once.

Last edited:

crawlkill

Kill all boxed game owners. Kill! Kill!
There is nothing wrong with that sentence. :lol:

Grognards are suspicious of things made after Xdate, not before Xdate. If you're suspicious of things made before Xdate, you're a neophile or something.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
It is a testament to what Obsidian has made that most of the time, I’m playing a game I really like, sometimes in spite of itself. I spent a good portion of this review complaining, but I still like the game, and am playing it again. Which, if you really think about it, mirrors the experience of playing IE games almost perfectly. All of the IE games had problems, some of them glaring: Torment had lousy combat; BGII had a goofy combination of DnD rules, was often too easy, and the rest mechanic allowed for unlimited cheese; IWD could be underwhelming or even boring at spots, etc. I said before that going nostalgic, as Obsidian has done here, often results in friendly fire, that whatever was good in the old games could be better, but whatever is bad could be worse. With that in mind, one thing you cannot say about PoE is that it fails to accurately mimic playing an IE game back in the late 1990s. If you think PoE isn't a real spiritual successor to the IE games, there is a good chance you are misremembering how the IE games actually played.

Paragraph is representative of the overall quality of the review... mediocre and with an overbearing need to validate PoE as something its clearly not.

:killit:

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
There is nothing wrong with that sentence. :lol:

Grognards are suspicious of things made after Xdate, not before Xdate. If you're suspicious of things made before Xdate, you're a neophile or something.
What he's saying is that grognards are suspicious of everything.

Not true though, grognards are grumpy old basement dwelling neckbeards ranting about consoletards and the mainstream. Somehow everything created before [insert random year] was a beautiful peace of art handcrafted by the sages of old and under no circumstance could have been an inane turd with nightmarish control scheme, broken or boring mechanics and lazy art.
Horrible creatures, avoid at all cost.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
one thing you cannot say about PoE is that it fails to accurately mimic playing an IE game back in the late 1990s. If you think PoE isn't a real spiritual successor to the IE games, there is a good chance you are misremembering how the IE games actually played.
I'm not sure if that's more ":lol:" or ":retarded:", but yeah, good chance indeed.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom