Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News The AG.ru Oblivion preview - the drama continues

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: Bethesda Softworks; Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

I have been informed that the <a href=http://www.ag.ru/articles/previews/3297>Russian preview of Oblivion, part 1</a> is up again, approved by our buddy Pete, however, all the criticism has been removed. I agree. I'm sick of all that negativity too. If you don't have anything good to say, say nothing at all (Bethesda's new motto, apparently).
<br>
<br>
What's also interesting is that the second part of the preview that was supposed to cover more specific gameplay features and quests is postponed "closer to the release". Let me guess, the build hasn't been properly optimized to show quests and RAI in action?
<br>
<br>
Thanks, <b>Alex</b>

Vault Dweller

Developer
Quality of graphics/animations/sound, low frame rates - about 20 FPS outdoors.

I'm much more concerned about the delay of part 2: "the second part promises indepth analysis of RAI, dialogues, etc."

Anyways, if you want a vanilla Oblivion preview, check this out:
http://the-junkyard.net/previews.php?ac ... view&id=12

One of Oblivion's, and in fact all Elder Scrolls games, greatest strengths, is their almost unlimited replayablity. Bethesda puts an insane amount of effort into providing the player with options that give this game its replayability factor. To begin with, there is the breadth of the game itself, with ten unique races to choose from (Orcs, Dark Elves, Wood elves, Altmer / High Elves, Redguards, Nords, Bretons, and Imperials, Argonians, and Khajiit), each varying from the other in both aesthetics and abilities. Combine this with the differences in playing as a fighter as compared to a mage or a thief, along with all the countless gradations in between (thanks to Oblivion's class system), Oblivion promises to be a different game with each different character you make.
Yeah, playing a Redguard is so different from playing a Nord.

Well, let's just say I put this off to last because while the graphics are absolutely awe-inspiring and definitely help with the immersion factor, I don't consider them that important in the scheme of things.... The couple of screenshots that are included here, and there are plenty more at the official site, should give you an idea of what the game will look like.
lol That's too funny

hiciacit

Liturgist
Even funnier in that junkyard review: "...by Bethesda Softworks (makers of the Fallout series as well)"

Credit where credit's due, hey.

Edit:
I think they're doing it on purpose: "...Emil Pagliarulo, the man who worked as a designer with Lion Head Studios (Thief anyone?)"

:roll:

Pr()ZaC

Scholar
IF the beta code they had wasn't "legal", then I accept the censorship.
IF everything was legal and the preview said what it should have been said, then it's just sad.
I'm sure they got a newer version to play with it but I fear for part 2.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Wow, I missed that. That calls for a proper news post, not an "honorable mention".

Atrokkus

Erudite
Well, the part 1 preview is up again, but with old, "official" screenshots as a suppliment.
Of course, there will be part 2 in near future, I'm sure they are now carefully choosing words ^_^

MrSmileyFaceDude

Bethesda Game Studios
Developer
Just to clarify, AG.ru didn't have in their possession a copy of an early build -- they were invited by 1C to 1C's offices, where they were given the opportunity to play the game for about 4 hours. I'm glad the preview's back up, and I look forward to reading part 2.

Kraszu

Prophet
Next generation review:

[...]Nice graphics[...]Patrick Stewart[...]Soil erosion[..]RAI.

[censored]/10

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014
First of all, excuse me for any mistakes, i don't speak English very well.
I have been informed that the Russian preview of Oblivion, part 1 is up again, approved by our buddy Pete, however, all the criticism has been removed.
There was no criticism in a preview originaly, only gameplay description. The info about 20 fps on top machine was posted in forum. :idea: Screens are deleted, but there are no significant chages in the preview itself.

2 MrSmileyFaceDude:
Just to clarify, AG.ru didn't have in their possession a copy of an early build -- they were invited by 1C to 1C's offices, where they were given the opportunity to play the game for about 4 hours. I'm glad the preview's back up, and I look forward to reading part 2.
It means 1C is doing localization right now?

Vault Dweller

Developer
Hamster[wh40K] said:
There was no criticism in a preview originaly, only gameplay description.
Is that a fact? According to the email I received, the criticism has been removed because Bethesda claimed that any issues with the graphics and animations are related to the early build/bad configuration/wrong game/etc. They may have a point there as the horse's eyes were clearly unfinished (well, I hope they were unfinished), but then again, that means that all those screens and "OMG! Teh graphics, it's so AWESOME!!!" comments mean shit at this point. Time will tell.

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014
Is that a fact?
yes
According to the email I received, the criticism has been removed because Bethesda claimed that any issues with the graphics and animations are related to the early build/bad configuration/wrong game/etc
Maybe criticism of grphics supposed to be in second part of the preview. :?

Pr()ZaC

Scholar
Why? A detail like that should have made into the first part as the second part will be gameplay-specific.

Rat Keeng

Liturgist
An Oblivion preview about gameplay? Can't you hear how unlikely that sounds :)

truekaiser

Scholar
i am just posting in this thread to let msfd know that me and all my freinds with their freinds are laughing their [censored] off at this.

you might deny it but most of them have also come to the same conclusion i have about this. you used the curently grey area of ip laws to censor a site which was willing to give people the truth and not marketing bull. it also shows that you are lying about your screen shots not being doctored. though that was a givin because all companys do it, i am waiting for the day that someone brings up a company on false advertising charges due to doctored screens.

Tintin

Arbiter
it also shows that you are lying about your screen shots not being doctored

Or it might have to do with the fact that it was an early, unconfigured version of the game with OBVIOUS problems such as the obvious NPC model issues in certain screens, which give a wrong impression of the game. I have a feeling you didn't see the screens.

truekaiser

Scholar
Tintin said:
it also shows that you are lying about your screen shots not being doctored

Or it might have to do with the fact that it was an early, unconfigured version of the game with OBVIOUS problems such as the obvious NPC model issues in certain screens, which give a wrong impression of the game. I have a feeling you didn't see the screens.

can you hold on a second. you have a little brown stuff on your nose.
*looks for a paper towel.*
after you clean your face off i sujest you look at some of the other quotes from the same dev's from about the same time that they say the suposide illegal build they got their hands on was from you will find them saying that all they have left to do with the game is bug hunt and optimize the code(basicly tuning the perfomance of the engine on their target hardware systems). so did they forget to send all the competed artwork to the russian translators? if so i feel sorry for them.

Check out truekaiser, livin' large behind the shield of anonymity
you can quit your sarcasm. i already know you already have my ip either by a admin here or my email.

Tintin

Arbiter
you can quit your sarcasm. i already know you already have my ip either by a admin here or my email.

:lol: !!! Wow....just...wow....

Anyways:

can you hold on a second. you have a little brown stuff on your nose.
*looks for a paper towel.*

How cute. truekaiser, you're cool!

Anyways,

after you clean your face off i sujest you look

Oh, you're not done. ...There, is that enough?

Anyways:

you will find them saying that all they have left to do with the game is bug hunt and optimize the code(basicly tuning the perfomance of the engine on their target hardware systems).

MrSmileyFaceDude said:
we're talking about a build that is a couple months old.

And besides that, it is an unconfigured version. If you watched the e3 demo, and then saw the screenshots, you would notice the problems. In one screenshot the NPC's face is blurred beyond belief and he was a crappy white outline around him. Unlike the e3 demo or X05 videos. Their demo was for localization (meaning only TRANSLATING), and did not need to complete version.

Again, I don't think you saw the screens.

so did they forget to send all the competed artwork to the russian translators?

MrSmileyFaceDude, did you remind 1C to translate the pictures into Russian? :lol:

Drakron

Arcane
The only screenshoot that are "aceptable" are the ones released by Bethsoft, saying "its a early build" or "they got the settings wrong" is a excuse since the models are done and so are the textures acording to Bethsoft, sure we could be looking at stuff without AA and similar crap but that means we seeing what someone with a 6600 will be seeing without it running at 10 PFS.

F.E.A.R. demo was actually released unoptimized, I got a good idea of how it looks and runs perhaps with a performance hit.

That is the problem with Oblivion, gameplay was sacrified for visuals and the visuals are not that great unless you own a Xbox 360 or next year brand new released cards ... games that rely on graphic whoring are soon forgotten.

Twinfalls

Erudite
truekaiser said:
i am just posting in this thread to let msfd know that me and all my freinds with their freinds are laughing their [censored] off at this.

HAHAHA! Party central at Truekaiser's gang HQ!

"Yo sup, we gots a lot ta cele-BRATE"

"Word up shizny Bethsda be FEELIN DA PAIN! Hey YO YO"

(truekaiser high-fives himself repeatedly)

Rulion

Liturgist
For all his whining, Truekaiser is probably going to get the game and be one of the first ones to download some nude mods for it.

MrSmileyFaceDude

Bethesda Game Studios
Developer
Vault Dweller said:
truekaiser said:
MSFD said:
Check out truekaiser, livin' large behind the shield of anonymity
He threatened to shut the site down, so we had to give your IP to Bethesda. I don't know how much time you've got until they get your address, so run, nigga, run!

It's too late. The men with the black suits and earpieces should be arriving at his home at any moment.

HardCode

Erudite
MrSmileyFaceDude said:
It's too late. The men with the black suits and earpieces should be arriving at his home at any moment.

Will Smith and Tommy Lee Jones? :lol:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom