Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Wasteland 2 Kickstarter Update #62: GOTY Edition Improvements - UI and Quirks

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Chris Keenan; InXile Entertainment; Wasteland 2

With the Bard's Tale IV Kickstarter campaign just two weeks away, inXile are making an extra effort to show their backers just how much they love them. In a new Wasteland 2 Kickstarter update, Chris Keenan describes two of the improvements which will be introduced in the game's upcoming GOTY Edition. There's an update to the interface, which includes the addition of a squad overview screen and a rearranged character creation GUI. And there's the Quirks system, which is the part I'll quote:

The idea of a unique defining quality for your character has been a common and well-loved one in CRPGs for many years now. Quirks have great role-playing value by letting your characters have distinct personality elements from each other, which give them a special bonus that only they have. In a party-based game, we think it's important that all your characters feel unique, and that's what quirks will let you do.

When we approached quirk design for Wasteland 2, we wanted to achieve a few different goals. It was important for us to avoid quirks that you "have to pick" in order to play your character the right way, or create quirks that are so good you'll always want to pick them on all your characters. By giving each quirk both an upside and a downside, we can make sure that they are interesting to play without becoming overpowered. This also means that quirks are optional – you can choose to go quirk-free if you want to, and you won't feel disadvantaged in doing so.

We also wanted to have quirks that go beyond your typical stat tweaks, and act as fun or unpredictable gameplay modifiers. While some of our quirks take a simpler approach, some will give you a more radical change to gameplay that might require you make careful trade-offs and considerations. Of course, giving them a unique or compelling personality-based theme also means you'll definitely want to try them out.

One such example is Repressed Rage. Some people are more mild-mannered than others, but sometimes it's the quiet ones you need to be careful about. With this quirk, you'll keep your anger bottled up inside, but you can only keep it that way for so long. When you take a critical hit in combat, you become enraged and gain a heavy damage bonus, in addition to a higher chance of scoring a critical hit. But on the flip side, your mild-mannered self won't be able to inflict "normal" critical hits. Obviously, this will have some implications for how you choose to build your character throughout the game.

Another quirk we've had a lot of fun making is Two-Pump Chump. With this one, you live life fast – but perhaps a little too fast at times. You'll start combat racing for the finish line, and on those crucial early turns will have some bonus Action Points and a higher damage output to help you eliminate the enemy quickly. But after a few turns, your character will start to lose stamina and will suffer decreasing effectiveness over time. You'll want to make sure your initial zeal is powerful enough to take care of business before you become much less useful.

And that's just a very small sampling. We have 20 quirks in total, and we hope you'll have as much fun building out your squad with these new modifiers as we had coming up with all of them.
Pretty nice. Hopefully the Perks will be described in a future update.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Wonder how long after release I'll have to wait for Bard's Tale 4 GOTY edition.

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I get that they want to make that babydoll the Wasteland equivalent of vaultboy, but that shit just don't work.

Nice perks tho

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Hopefully that "squad overview screen" will FINALLY allow you to reorganise the order of your characters. I mean seriously wtf is up with not being able to do that except through hacking savegames?

otsego

Cipher
"Press A to select" ??

Hope consoles haven't influenced design too drastically :(

Perkel

Arcane
So now we need 3 different screens to change instead of 1 that has all options ?
consoleretardation disease

naturally traits system is a good thing.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
I played this for at least 25 hours in short sessions; it had some nice things but I have to say that what turned out to be an almost-game-breaker for me was the complete lack of synergy between attributes and skills. (Also, both Highpool and Agricultural Center are boring.) Is this going to be fixed? (I guess not...)

Pope Amole II

Nerd Commando Game Studios
Developer
Repressed rage confirmed for shit quirk.

That really depends on the quality of other quirks. If they're roughly the same power level, I can see it being used with the weapons which already have problems with crits. First and foremost, energo - this way you trade nothing for something.

Speaking in general, two-pump chump sounds nice on those low initiative, 12 AP builds. Those characters don't go as often (so they won't have troubles with special abilty burning out too fast, probably) and they'll be able to do 2 headshot bursts per turn - that's nice.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
The art for the quirks looks horrible, them babies...:decline:

It's interesting that the complete lack of artistic direction in Wasteland 2 was never addressed. The game is just a jumble of third rate props seemingly taken from the darkest corners of deviantart and dropped on a map.

If you had to name one one defining aesthetic trait in Wasteland 2, what would it be? Myself, i cant come up with one.

Unwanted

a Goat

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Edgy Vatnik
It sorta does.
More than repressed rage that is.
If you're building dedicated medic/surgeon/whatever else character, you can pick it and be...well good at healing, while staying behind the cover and trying to hit some shit with cheap, shit pistol. Like you know, dedicated non-combat character. Use painkillers/somebody with one point in first aid to heal the damn faggot if he gets hit.

Repressed rage only makes sense if you're building somebody who's intention is to be hit and he uses energy weapons, so some sort of energy-weapon tank. And you don't want to be hit in the game, any game, even less being hit by crit.

Pope Amole II

Nerd Commando Game Studios
Developer
He means flavour-wise. And yeah, I too kinda tried to wrap around my mind about how being a hypochondriac makes you want to heal everyone but yourself and, well, I couldn't. The flavour is absolutely dumbfuck. They could've went for the "carebear" direction or anything like that for the same effect but this explanation is just beyond retarded.

Semper

Cipher
MCA Project: Eternity
what pope said. there's no discussion about the impact on gameplay, but the explanation why especially a valetudinarian transforms into a healbot. such person already believes to horribly suffer from all kinds of diseases, frantically running from doctor to doctor. if at all he should be the one constantly demanding help, and regularly denying orders while lying on the floor crying.

[S]Brother None[/S] sea: just tell them to rename the quirk to mysophobia.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
what pope said. there's no discussion about the impact on gameplay, but the explanation why especially a valetudinarian transforms into a healbot. such person already believes to horribly suffer from all kinds of diseases, frantically running from doctor to doctor. if at all he should be the one constantly demanding help, and regularly denying orders while lying on the floor crying.

Brother None: just tell them to rename the quirk to mysophobia.

sea is the man you want to talk to about Wasteland 2 these days.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom