Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Internet DRAMA alert! Kathode on the Oblivion screens

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: Bethesda Softworks; Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

Have you seen <a href=http://www.rpgcodex.com/index.php#3898>those new Oblivion screens</a>? Well, turns out that they were <b>illegal</b>! Yes, I know, hard to believe. You just don't know whom to trust these days. Anyways, <b>kathode</b>, one of the Bethesda's finest, has posted <a href=http://www.elderscrolls.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=175036>the following announcement</a>:
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>In the past couple days, an unfinished build of Oblivion was leaked to a Russian gaming site. You may have seen screenshots and information about this build online. The site in question was not authorized in any way to post the information that it did. The build in question was not in any way intended to be used for the purposes of demoing the game.
<br>
<br>
The screenshots that got posted clearly show that the game was not properly configured by whoever was playing. The ini file alone contains over 300 settings that can be used to customize the visuals and performance of the game, and we tweak and test and change these settings daily. Because the build they are using was not one that we locked away for the specific purposes of demonstration, the likelihood that any number of those options are incorrectly configured is very high. This can result in any manner of aberrant behavior from the game including improper visuals and reduced performance.
<br>
<br>
The upshot is that we feel the quality of the screenshots released is very far from the final game. This combined with the fact that the they are completely unauthorized by anyone representing Bethesda to publish screenshots or info means that we have to shut down threads relating to this leak.
<br>
<br>
Hopefully soon, as we get closer to release, you will see legit sites posting previews based on actual preview builds of the final game.</blockquote>
<br>
There you have it, folks. The screens do not represent the final game because they were not authorized by anyone representing Bethesda's photoshop department. Rest assured that all screens will be posted by Bethesda once the game is released.
<br>
<br>
<br>
Thanks to all who posted the link

Whipporowill

Erudite
MFSD said:
Technically it's not a "leaked" build. Russian publisher 1C had the build for localization purposes, and they provided the website access to the build so they could write the article. There's not an early build of Oblivion circulating around. It's all looking like it's a misunderstanding. The website has already removed the new screens.

VD, you drama queen you. :roll:

Vault Dweller

Developer
Like I said, you don't know whom to trust these days. Kathode says it's a leaked build with all the wrong configurations, MSFD said it's not a leaked build and the configurations were fine. It's all so confusing....

MrSmileyFaceDude

Bethesda Game Studios
Developer
I never said anything about configurations being fine. I just said it wasn't a leaked build.

Whipporowill

Erudite
Well, "Mr super-careful :)" isn't in the habit of splurging stuff he isn't supposed to say, rather the opposite... so I'd say this one is a safe bet, and Kathode's post is a first reaction thingie - and the 1c thing is what they found out after checking up on it.

Oh, and as for the config sucking in those "illegal" shots, that was the first thing I said. It's pretty obvious considering what has been shown elsewhere - in an official capacity.

Chefe

Erudite
I thought the bloom was off...

Damn those Russians!

obediah

Erudite
God, what a douche. If I ever quit gaming, the best thing will be never having to hear a pr bitch distancing themselves from a demo or leak with some crap about it being misconfigured, or an old build, or a given feature is in the game but not addressed in the demo. Tthe statement is true about as often as a frat boy really does just have a new cd he wants to show some drunk freshman.

But I'm sure Oblivion really will look way better than those screan shots, and run much better on your old laptop even - just buy it and see. :)

Vault Dweller

Developer
MrSmileyFaceDude said:
I never said anything about configurations being fine. I just said it wasn't a leaked build.
Then it's safe to assume that it was decently configured or the instructions how to do that were given, otherwise, what's the point of giving them an unconfigured build to preview?

MrSmileyFaceDude

Bethesda Game Studios
Developer
Which part of "Russian publisher 1C had the build for localization purposes" did you not understand? All they're doing is translating the game. Meanwhile, we are still in the process of optimization and tweaking visuals -- and we're talking about a build that is a couple months old. So not only wasn't the configuration anywhere near up to date, it also wasn't important that it BE up to date, because localization is all that was supposed to have been happening.

Vault Dweller

Developer
I'm not talking about the configuration being up-to-date, or the build being 2 months old. I'm asking whether or not it was configured properly 2 months ago, and whether or not the screens we saw represent the game accurately as it was 2 months ago (which, of course, doesn't imply that that would be an accurate representation of the finished product).

Astromarine

Erudite
Would it kill you to just simply come out and say "no, the interface for the PC isn't like that, there's a lot more on the screen"? Because all these posts by you and kathode come off as dodging. Sure, the build wasn't optimized. Maybe that means the game will be prettier/smoother than those screenshots. But optimization usually does not change the fact that dialogues are bland one-liners, interface is tailored-for-TV and massively inefficient, and female Argonians somehow have boobies that serve no biological function on reptiles besides titillating antropomorphic-animal-fetishist customers. So prove us Codex-Hivemind haters wrong once and for all. Laugh in our faces by showing how false all these assumptions are.

Whipporowill

Erudite
Aren't there often different builds for different purposes - one for gameplay tests (less glitz for higher fps and stuff), one to run showcases et c. I guess if it was meant for "translation bidniz" it didn't need any sort of glitz, rather than making it possible for the translators get trough the game - which I expect they do, rather than translate the script?

Whipporowill

Erudite
Astromarine said:
Would it kill you to just simply come out and say "no, the interface for the PC isn't like that, there's a lot more on the screen"? Because all these posts by you and kathode come off as dodging. Sure, the build wasn't optimized. Maybe that means the game will be prettier/smoother than those screenshots. But optimization usually does not change the fact that dialogues are bland one-liners, interface is tailored-for-TV and massively inefficient, and female Argonians somehow have boobies that serve no biological function on reptiles besides titillating antropomorphic-animal-fetishist customers. So prove us Codex-Hivemind haters wrong once and for all. Laugh in our faces by showing how false all these assumptions are.

1) We'll most likely (95%) get that interface on pc, as well... unless they ripped it out in the last minute. Doubt that. Hopefully it will be resizeable and fit more.

2) The lizzies have tits, they won't throw in an extra character base just for female argonians. Who wants argonians anyway? Yoikes!

3) Yeah. Uh. That's my take on it.

4) Edit - oh, I believe dialogue zooms in, like it did with Uriel Septim in that gameplay movie, so these are likely pre-conversation one-liners or just non-important people. The amount of dialogue remains to be seen, and I doubt we'll see much more before release - we didn't even see much Bloodlines dialogue before the game was out - even if it was great. Dialogue doesn't sell apparently.

Severe-Critic

Novice
Hi all :)! I'm from forum of Russian site Absolute Games - admins of this project were forced to delete all unique screenshots and preview-article, because developers found them made with not high video settings - it's, as I know, an official reason. As Nomad and Santera say settings were high (without AA, of course) and shadows were switched on. IMHO, all oficial screens were touched up a bit :), and developers try to hide it before realease appears =))))
Chefe, lol... Clown. I believe, you write such stupid things about Russian gamers, becauce of envy to us... It doesn't make you a credit.

Chefe

Erudite
Severe-Critic said:
Chefe, lol... Clown. I believe, you write such stupid things about Russian gamers, becauce of envy to us... It doesn't make you a credit.

It was a joke. ;)

Balor

Arcane
Ok, no screens... but the preview was 100% legal, I understand?
To heaven with screens, but I really hope that second review part will see the light.

Spazmo

Erudite
Alright, that's it. All these goddamn Oblivion newsposts, topics and unrelated topics creeping into Oblivion are getting on my nerves. I propose we start OblivionCodex so people can go discuss the goddamn thing over there and quit crapping endless, pointless discussions about it here.

Wakky

Novice
MrSmileyFaceDude said:
I liked the preview, I hope to see part 2 as well.

Then why did you send your goons over and force them to take down part 1 of the preview?

I know they were not using retouched shots like you guys are...but come on....

Also, this game is coming out in 2005?? Yeah right. You guys have a long way to go if you can't even get the system requirements nailed down yet....christ.

March 2006 at the earliest. I knew you couldn't make launch day for the Xbox 360. Sucks for you guys, since you are going to be losing a ton of money by not being a launch title for the new system!

I can't wait to see the shitstorm that breaks out on your forums when people there discover the truth about the release....

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Astromarine said:
Would it kill you to just simply come out and say "no, the interface for the PC isn't like that, there's a lot more on the screen"?
I guess they just don't want to lie.

I seem to remember that some time ago the developers said it would be possible to overhear parts of conversation while walking through a city. So: did they mean "overhear" literally - that the player would have to listen himself? And if not, then how the hell are all those lines going to get displayed on the screen with the funky font?

Balor

Arcane
Then why did you send your goons over and force them to take down part 1 of the preview?

Well, it was kathode, not MSFD... and it was removed by admin of AG.ru to find out who's right and who's not.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom