Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Avernum 4 interview at RPG Vault

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: Avernum 4; Spiderweb Software

<a href=http://rpgvault.ign.com>RPG Vault</a> has posted an <a href=http://rpgvault.ign.com/articles/657/657741p1.html>interview</a> with Jeff Vogel about upcoming <a href=http://www.spiderwebsoftware.com/avernum/avernum4>Avernum 4</a>:
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>Avernum 4 is an old-school RPG in the tradition of games going from Wizardry and Ultima to Baldur's Gate. It takes the best design elements of a ton of these games and puts them together in a huge world with a cool storyline with billions of side quests and secrets to find. Avernum 4 continues the storyline of the previous games, with a cool, entirely new game system and engine.
<br>
<br>
I set one rule for myself when I started to design RPGs: NO ELVES!(That IS a very good rule - VD) No dwarves, no gnomes, no midgets with furry feet. The world of Avernum is all my own.
<br>
<br>
The player can play a human, a nephil (a race of savage, tribal, feline humanoids), or a slithzerikai (an ancient race of spiritual, magically skilled reptiles). The system itself is skill-based, so you can mix and match from the different weapon skills and schools of magic to come up with your own strategy.
<br>
<br>
All enemies in Avernum 4 are completely scripted, which enables a huge variety of sorts of behavior. For example, one enemy demon might change forms several times, with each form having its own strengths and weaknesses, and summoning different creatures to aid it. Only when all of its forms are defeated will it perish.</blockquote>Look at teh noob! He thinks that scripting can create different behaviors. Get teh Radiant AI, grandpa!
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.rpgdot.com">RPG Dot</A>

Chefe

Erudite
I'm legally obliglated to purchase a fantasy game or an RPG game that promotes the lack of elves and dwarves. :)

But no radiant AI???? WTFOMG!!!!

:P

Goliath

Arcane
Zionist Agent
NO ELFES! Teh inovashun! I mean nobody has seen cat-people or lizardfolk in an RPG before...

Twinfalls

Erudite
And calling creatures which slither, 'Slitherzkeshki' or whatever it was ain't exactly blasting open the gates of creativity, but more power to Vogel, regardless.

DamnElfGirl

Liturgist
That reminds me of one of my favourite D&D quotes, from a DM who was setting up a new campaign. "OK, character creation. I only have one rule. No elves. Elves are bullshit."

GhanBuriGhan

Erudite
Vault Dweller said:
Look at teh noob! He thinks that scripting can create different behaviors. Get teh Radiant AI, grandpa!

Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.rpgdot.com">RPG Dot</A>

I was wondering if you would manage to get an Oblivion reference in this one. You never dissapoint :)

Jed

Cipher
I've never found Elves anywhere near as offensive as dwarves, halflings, and/or gnomes.

bryce777

Erudite
Jed said:
I've never found Elves anywhere near as offensive as dwarves, halflings, and/or gnomes.

You haven't played any actual pen and paper DnD then. this leads to an extremely violent hatred for all things elven, given enough time. Especially if you get a few 'talky' type female roleplayers.

Fodel

Novice
And, of course, you can just plow through the main storyline and ignore most of the extras. It's a cool story, as you look for clues, discover who is assaulting Avernum and hunt them through the underworld. I've tried to leave a lot of freedom in the game. You can play a linear adventure, or you can just run around and go crazy.

¿Main plot as a linear adventure and a huge world with sidequests and stuff? :lol:

Im sure Avernum4 will be a great and fun crpg (and no linear :twisted: )

Jed

Cipher
bryce777 said:
You haven't played any actual pen and paper DnD then. this leads to an extremely violent hatred for all things elven, given enough time. Especially if you get a few 'talky' type female roleplayers.
A bit, but I can't see how "talky" roleplayers would be any less annoying regardless of what race they play.

crpgnut

Augur
I'll be interested to see if Jeff can come up with something new. Exile was awesome, exile 2 was okay, exile 3 was a rehash. Geneforge was awesome, G2 was a rehash, and G3 was almost painful because it had nothing new. Avernum was a rehash of previous rehashes. Bleh!

I really hope Jeff decides to write a completely new story. With such minimal graphics and an extremely familar engine, Jeff's story needs to be outstanding to grab any attention. G3 was so been there, done that 200 times before that I couldn't complete it.

LlamaGod

Cipher
Avernum isnt a rehash, dummy. It may be the same towns and story, but there is so much more content added. Avernum 2 added even more and 3 added tons.

DorrieB

Liturgist
Jed said:
bryce777 said:
A bit, but I can't see how "talky" roleplayers would be any less annoying regardless of what race they play.

Or what sex they are. What's the matter, don't you like girls?

Drakron

Arcane
That not the problem, the problem is sterotypes people end up playing that are anoying because they shown 0% of creativity.

There is a online comic that shows exactly that with "Tacobell".

I do dislike elves buts that more to the exposure to FR that anything else.

bryce777

Erudite
DorrieB said:
Jed said:
bryce777 said:

Or what sex they are. What's the matter, don't you like girls?

I am alanna moonshadow, mistress of moonglen lake. Ah, rafe. You saucy rogue! It is good to see you again after so many moons of hard traveling. I am a fat insane wiccan a step away from LARPing, and I plan to waste your entire evening with nonsensical blatherings I usually save for my cat.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom