Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News NWN2 screens extravaganza

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: Neverwinter Nights 2; Obsidian Entertainment

<a href=http://www.nwn2news.net>NWN2 News</a> has posted a truckload of <a href=http://www.atari.com/nwn2/>NWN 2</a> <a href=http://www.nwn2news.net/modules/news/article.php?storyid=391&com_id=886&com_rootid=886&#comment886>screenie scans</a> from PC Gamer, featuring various environments, really mean pigs, and a dragon that looks "nifty", according to one of our experts.
<br>
<br>
<br>
Thanks, <b>kumquatq3</b>
<br>
<br>

Borys

Novice
The graphics whore within me was disappointed untill nostalgia factor kicked in.

After all these dumbed down console shits we will get a "real" CRPG game.

Can't wait!

Whipporowill

Erudite
It looks like a little more watercoloury (less jagged) version of Gothic. Not that it's bad in any way or anything like that. Worth mentioning is that the black void thing NWN had going for it has gone the way of the Dodo, and most importantly it seems that the art direction is headed in a lot better direction than Clownsuits R us.

Chefe

Erudite
The graphics don't look that bad. I just hope the gameplay isn't as boring as the first.

Borys said:
The graphics whore within me was disappointed untill nostalgia factor kicked in.

After all these dumbed down console shits we will get a "real" CRPG game.

Can't wait!

Sarcasm senses tingling!

Spazmo

Erudite
People getting excited over NWN2 as the return of 'real PC RPGs' is a depressing sign of how bad things have gotten.

Micmu

Magister
The saddest thing is, it IS possible that NWN2 will be the best modern PC RPG when it comes out. Unless, of course, it is also a console game, pardon, just a console game with a port for PC.
Edit: I kinda liked NWN's engine and it's DnD 3E ruleset implementation, it's just too bad they didn't do anything deeper and less powergaming with it.

Sammael

Liturgist
micmu said:
Edit: I kinda liked NWN's engine and it's DnD 3E ruleset implementation, it's just too bad they didn't do anything deeper and less powergaming with it.
What 3E ruleset implementation? I've seen non-D&D RPGs that were closer to 3E than NWN was.

By the way, I think the screenshots look significantly better than NWN, but they're not up to modern standards. They look comparable to Gothic II, even though NWN2 will have to compete with Gothic III. See for yourselves:

Gothic III:
920920_20050518_screen002.jpg
920920_20050504_screen002.jpg

NWN2:
nwn2-3.jpg

Not that I'm deluding myself that GIII will sell more than NWN2, but I am surprised that Obsidian hasn't done more for the game's looks.

Chefe

Erudite
Gothic III is going to kick graphical ass.

I'm not a graphic whore or anything, but holy fucking shit that looks sweet. That's the kind of stuff they put on the cover of NVIDIA video card boxes.

Come to think of it, how could NWN compete with such a beautiful game like Gothic that is built on past roleplaying games that were very deep? NWN2 has the shitty NWN behind it.

Greatatlantic

Erudite
To be fair, which we should always attempt to be, those "screenshots" are scans from magazines, and quality could have been lost in the transition. Though the NWN2 sceenshots do appear to be a little less detailed. Though that might be a consequence of simply not needing the greater detail if the game is going to be played from a zoomed out perspective.

Ellester

Liturgist
Well considering NWN was way behind games like Morrowind in graphics when it was released, it would seem weird if NWN2 suddenly became the new graphic king upon release. Oblivion and Gothic III have those bases covered. All I’m looking for is a kick ass single player campaign, and the graphics look good enough for me; a hell of a lot better than NWN.

Also, who knows, maybe NWN2 will be the next great crpg, or maybe it will suck eggs? As the engine shows, it’s been upgraded, it’s not Bioware who’s designing the game, and we haven’t seen how combat, dialog and rules will be implemented. Really we have no idea what we are getting in NWN2, except that it will have DM Client and toolset for modders. The fact that Obsidian wants to focus on a strong single player campaign and try to recreate a feel that older game titles had like the Ultima’s, sounds good to me. And that sounds a lot different than the original NWN that was thrown together in the later stages of development. We’ll see if it sucks or not upon release, but to say this game will suck because it’s NWN is silly. Now if you hate d&d, then I see your point.

Borys

Novice
Spazmo said:
People getting excited over NWN2 as the return of 'real PC RPGs' is a depressing sign of how bad things have gotten.

Exactly.

I'm a CRPG veteran from the early 90's.

A good (relative term) PC RPG nowadays is, sadly, a unique rarity :(

Sad times indeed.

Avin

Liturgist
Could it be possible that graphics from NWN2 looks "older" or "kinda worse" than Gothic III and Oblivion because of its modular/toolset orientation?

Goliath

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Having the choice between upcoming RPG hits like NWN2, Gothic III and Oblivion I'm happy that my PC is too slow to run any of them :D

Dhruin

Liturgist
^Exactly. Whatever NWN2 may or may not get wrong, the tiled nature is always going to have an effect on the graphical presentation.

bryce777

Erudite
If you look past the graininess from the magazine, the graphics look very good. Just look at how flexible and natural the character model is - if it looks liek that in motion, then it will be amazing.

Not as good as gothic III, but I think those look better than any game I have seen. At least the stills. The animation was not the best in the other gothics so we will see.

Gothic is kind of overrated anyhow IMO. Especially graphically - I and II were just not that special by any means visually speaking. the combat is also very braindead. It did have good atmosphere and story though....

I'm kind of looking forward to NWN2. NWN was a good outlet for indie stories and adventures and worked because you didn't need any funds or resources that what was provided with the game to make your own stuff. Sure, 99% of it was shit, but so's 99% of any media.

People made some good stuff, both thanks to and in spite of the Aurora engine. I'm looking forward to a similar community rising for the second game.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"What 3E ruleset implementation? I've seen non-D&D RPGs that were closer to 3E than NWN was."

Name one, moron. The only D&D game with better D&D rules implmentation than NWN ever is arguably TOEE. It's too bad that game forgot everything.

Anyways, the updated Aurora Engine looks great.

Gothic 3 might very have better graphics; but if it's as overated as G2 (I'm gbuilty too as when I first played G2 I was 'wowed' foolishly); but NWN2 will do all the important things better than G2.

Game over.

Shagnak

Shagadelic
Well, extrapolating from the shitty scans, I think much like Volly and Brycie - it looks like the final product will look pretty good.

And if it has the toolset then there is hope for some good modules coming out of fan-land. I absolutely hated the OC of NWN, but I'm glad I got it because I have played some damn good modules since. I know, I know, people do not necessarily want to buy a toolset, but it is good bit of sugar-on-top, and hopefully they have learnt some lessons from the OC of NWN 1 (i.e. how not to make it).

Edit: edited for clarity.

Pegultagol

Erudite
I am rather excited to see Obsidian to be put on the map again, and that they have worked on the game without any glaring problem to be able to show off some good graphics.

RGE

Liturgist
Definitely a step in the right direction, but still on the wrong side of the fence (the Forgotten Realms side).
I guess I might buy this game, or maybe not, since I may have become
so lazy that even dabbling with the toolset will be too much effort for me.

The art direction of Gothic III appears to rock. Maybe I should investigate further.
Or maybe I should just lie down in my couch, close my eyes and imagine what the coolest CRPG ever would be like.
Yeah, that seems like an easier and cheaper way of escaping reality.

kumquatq3

Liturgist
Greatatlantic said:
To be fair, which we should always attempt to be, those "screenshots" are scans from magazines, and quality could have been lost in the transition. Though the NWN2 sceenshots do appear to be a little less detailed. Though that might be a consequence of simply not needing the greater detail if the game is going to be played from a zoomed out perspective.

Yea, the scans are pretty grainy, I don't think you can quite compare it to Gothic 3 or what not yet

Shagnak said:
Well, extrapolating from the shitty scans, I think much like Volly and Brycie - it looks like the final product will look pretty good.

And if it has the toolset then there is hope for some good modules coming out of fan-land. I absolutely hated the OC of NWN, but I'm glad I got it because I have played some damn good modules since. I know, I know, people do not necessarily want to buy a toolset, but it is good bit of sugar-on-top, and hopefully they have learnt some lessons from the OC of NWN 1 (i.e. how not to make it).

Edit: edited for clarity.
For what it's worth, I found the Shadows of Undrentide/Hordes of the Underdark saga to be pretty fucking good in terms of writing, action, and branching storyline/replayability. Hopefully we'll see an OC that's closer to SoU/HOTU than the original NWN one.

Azarkon

Arcane
As far as I know, Gothic III isn't built ontop of a toolset, so the comparison there is really not very fair. NWN 2, like its predecessor, is a game built on the basis of being a conduit for player produced content in addition to having its own. Now you may disagree with this goal, but I think it's a rather noble one. After all, if we're all for indie effort, then the best way for indie effort to come through is by the work of enthusiasts, ie those with passion. And seeing how enthusiasts usually have nowhere close to the capital or resources that would be required to develop a kickass engine, NWN 2 may very well be the next best thing, given that it's friendlier than trying to build your own game from scratch (or even from a existing 3D engine like Ogre, which still requires significant programming).

What would be *really* nice is if Obsidian would allow you to directly mod the rules of the game in addition to the content. Of course, I can understand why this would be unrealistic as they'd basically be releasing their engine for free, then. But a limited degree of control more than the current NWN allows would still be nice.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom