Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News CD Projekt announces two Witcher 3 expansion packs, available for pre-order

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: CD Projekt; The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt; The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Blood and Wine; The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Hearts of Stone

CD Projekt have mentioned the possibility of producing paid expansion packs for The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt before. Today, with the main game just over a month from release, they've made the interesting choice of announcing not one but two of them, to be released in October and early next year, respectively. The announcement post on GOG explains:

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt is almost here. That means the game is pretty much finished, and the devs are about to take a deep breath while CD-presses and hype machines slowly wind up to take things through the home stretch. It's not gold yet, but now that development is coming to an end, the CD PROJEKT RED team is ready to start their work on two new, ambitious monster-hunting expansions.

The expansions will be called Hearts of Stone, and Blood and Wine. Combined, they'll offer over 30 hours of new adventures for Geralt, and the latter introduces a whole new major area to roam. More items, gear, and characters (including a few familiar faces) will all be crafted with the same attention to detail as the game itself.

Hearts of Stone is a 10-hour adventure across the wilds of No Man's Land and the nooks of Oxenfurt. The secretive Man of Glass has a contract for you - you'll need all your smarts and cunning to untangle a thick web of deceit, investigate the mystery, and emerge in one piece.

Blood and Wine is the big one, introducing an all-new, playable in-game region to The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt. It will take you about 20 hours to discover all of Toussaint, a land of wine, untainted by war. And to uncover the dark, bloody secret behind an atmosphere of carefree indulgence.

There used to be a time when buying an add-on disk or expansion for your game really meant something. That's what CD PROJEKT RED are going for, it's about bringing that old feeling back. You can take it from our very own iWi, (that's Marcin Iwinski, co-founder of CD PROJEKT RED):

"We’ve said in the past that if we ever decide to release paid content, it will be vast in size and represent real value for the money. Both of our expansions offer more hours of gameplay than quite a few standalone games out there.”

Hearts of Stone is expected to premiere this October, while Blood and Wine is slated for release in the first quarter of 2016, so there's still plenty of time ahead. We're offering you the Expansion Pass now - it's a chance to pre-order the two expansions and even show your support for the devs. But we can't stress Marcin Iwinski's words enough:

“Don’t buy it if you have any doubts. Wait for reviews or play The Witcher and see if you like it first. As always, it’s your call."
The "expansion pass" is available for pre-order on Steam and GOG for the price of $25. I wonder if that price is going to go up after the game is released...

In other news, dorito connoisseur site IGN has gotten exclusive dibs on The Witcher 3 pre-release hype material. I'm not going to be paying too much attention to that, but yesterday they posted a video of the game's first 15 minutes. Check it out if you don't mind being spoiled.

Last edited by a moderator:

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Cut content from the main game? Now i know not to day 1 purchase it but wait for witcher 3 goty edition.

Last edited:

Jozoz

Prophet
Yeah I'll wait as well. It's not like I'm running out of games to play.

AngryKobold

Arcane
Two expansion packs, right before the actual release. CDP undoubtedly had to cut out a lot of content from the main game.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Two expansion packs, right before the actual release. CDP undoubtedly had to cut out a lot of content from the main game.

First one sounds like it might be cut content. Not so much the second.

Not that cut content is anything unusual for RPGs, nor said cut content coming back as an expansion pack.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor

First one sounds like it might be cut content. Not so much the second.

Not that cut content is anything unusual for RPGs, nor said cut content coming back as an expansion pack.
Are you saying CDP is just like these other shill AAA publishers?!?!

Paul_cz

Arcane
If anyone thinks this is cut content from the game then they are indeed dumbfuck.
I was hoping they would make Toussaint visitable, nice to see it happen.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Lot of outrage itt, as per usual.

This may very well be cut content. It may also be content the part of the company that would otherwise sit around twiddling their thumbs is working on right now.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
But I thought they were special snowflake pro-consumer heroes!

Well, this is one dumb move. Fucking greed.

At least they weren't selling the expansion pass before the main game was even in preproduction, like, oh...
You have me confused with an Obsidian fanboy.
If anyone thinks this is cut content from the game then they are indeed dumbfuck.
I was hoping they would make Toussaint visitable, nice to see it happen.
You are fucking shameless. Someone just rename this guy Paul_CDP

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Where lies the border between DLC and expansion pack? How many hours of content does an add-on need to become an expansion? Questions, questions.

I am not a marketing expert but announcing a season pass so close to release seems like a bad move(?) and it could be better for them if they announced it a week after release, in the middle of TW3 getting 10/10 GOTY awards from every site. As we can already see in this thread, the way they did it will just make people go 'waiting for GOTY Enhanced Edition Director's Cut then'.

Anyway, $25 for 30 hours seems like not such a good deal comapred to $40 for the supposed 100-200 hours of the base game, even if usually 30 hours of AAA game would be a good deal for $25 (on release).

I am not going to wait for GOTY EE DC myself, but I am also definitely not preordering this, though, even if Toussaint episode was one of my favourite parts of the book saga.

'Please don't kill the succubus, master witcher, it only haunts the adults.'

SniperHF

Arcane
Where lies the border between DLC and expansion pack? How many hours of content does an add-on need to become an expansion? Questions, questions.

To me the line is to be an expansion it must include enhancements and not just moar content. Whether it's simply better graphics, overhauled mechanics, improved UI, or something along these lines. Just more quests and story and maps is a campaign or module.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom