Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Pillars of Eternity Patch 1.10 Introduces Turn-based Combat Mode, Overhauls Attribute System

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Tags: Obsidian Entertainment; Pillars of Eternity

Obsidian producer-magician BAdler posted some very interesting news on the Obsidian forums:

Hey, everyone.

We couldn't be more happy about the success of Pillars of Eternity. You guys have been great with your feedback and support! Again, thank you very much.

We've been working hard on fixing bugs and stabilizing the game for 32-bit users. The 1.02 patch will be released shortly – hopefully before the weekend.

As a token of our gratitude for your past and ongoing support, we wanted to share some exciting new things we have in store for Pillars of Eternity. These features are scheduled to appear in the 1.10 update, which is currently slated for early summer.

First off, the big one: We are introducing turn-based combat. There will be a toggle for this at the start of the game, just next to Expert and Trial of Iron. This feature is very much the work of Tim Cain, and it makes Pillars of Eternity play a lot like the RPG classic The Temple of Elemental Evil.

12531.jpg

Second, this will require an overhaul of the attributes system. We were never really one hundred percent happy with the current incarnation of the attributes, and this will give us the chance to balance it further while also introducing two new stats: Initiative and Action Points. These two stats are only available when playing in turn-based mode.

We are excited to share more details on this in the coming weeks. Stay tuned!​

I suppose it doesn't come as a complete surprise. After all, this is what Tim Cain said to mindx2 in our Codex PAX East interview:

Tim: I love turn-based games. This actually goes back to something Chris was saying, when I worked on South Park… right when I arrived there it was a real-time game and one of the things I was asked was to make it turn-based. It’s easy to turn real-time systems into turn-based ones, so I’m just throwing that out there [as he looks towards the other team members].

[laughter]

Tim: I’m familiar with a lot of these systems in Pillars and how to convert them. Again I’m just saying that…​

Thanks, Tim!

Last edited:

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Turn-based was too much. Attribute overhaul I could believe.

pippin

This is indeed a work of cruelty.
Not because of PoE, but because of ToEE.

Athelas

Arcane
introducing two new stats: Initiative and Action Points
If I didn't know right away this was a hoax, this would've given it away. Sawyer would never something as powerful and all-encompassing as action points to be a stat the player can invest in.

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
The worst part about April fools is all the shitty fucking jokes I have to deal with.

Icewater

Artisanal Shitposting™
Patron
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
fuck you got me

what the shit it isn't even april fool's yet in civilized parts of the world

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Damn it! Nice one, though it is still March 31st in the states. I was planning on halting play so I could start over when the new patch was out.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom