Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Pillars of Eternity Kickstarter Update #92: Backer Keys Available

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Brandon Adler; J.E. Sawyer; Obsidian Entertainment; Pillars of Eternity

Earlier today, Obsidian deployed the keys for Pillars of Eternity, which is now just 15 hours away, on the game's backer portal. For those who hadn't already figured that out themselves, they've published one last Kickstarter update announcing it, along with some other stuff. Here's an excerpt:

Hey, everyone. After two and a half years, we're happy that you're finally going be able to get your hands on Pillars of Eternity. It's been a great pleasure to work on a traditional PC RPG again and it wouldn't have been possible without your interest, support, and feedback. We hope that playing Pillars of Eternity gives you the same feelings you had when you played the Infinity Engine games. Many of you have told us how much these games have meant to you over the years. It's always been our goal to recapture that experience as well as we can. We've worked hard to provide you with a beautiful world to explore, flexible systems that allow you to build all the characters and parties you can dream up, and a rich story that responds to the choices you make. Nothing can replace the Infinity Engine games, but we hope Pillars of Eternity is a worthy successor to that heritage.

Thank you again for all you have done.

-Josh Sawyer

Kickstarter Tiers and Special Editions

Due to popular demand we have created special Kickstarter Backer editions on both Steam and GOG. These editions match the retail versions of the Hero, Champion, and Royal editions, but they come with a few extra Kickstarter goodies. When you go onto your Products page on the Backer Portal you will see which Kickstarter edition was granted to your Kickstarter tier. This was done so that people could download their rewards in multiple places.

Unfortunately, we were unable to map every tier perfectly. We have many tiers, many different combinations of add-ons, and only a few Kickstarter editions. Don't worry, though, because if your Kickstarter edition doesn't come with a reward you should be getting for your Kickstarter tier you can download it from the Backer Portal. In fact, the Backer Portal is the official way to download your rewards - we will always have them available for you on the Portal.

If you would like to see what products come with your Backer tier you can find that information by going to your Orders page on the Backer Portal. If you expand your order you can click on the "What does this include?" link to see all of your rewards associated with the order.

Documentary and Novella

As most of you know we will be releasing the documentary and the novella after we release the game. For the documentary, this was to ensure that you could view the full journey of Pillars' creation - including the release of the game and launch party, and for the novella, that it is done at the highest quality for Backers. Both of these items will not be available on the Backer Portal initially, but once they are released you will be able to download them like any other reward.
The full update has step-by-step instructions explaining how to redeem one's key, as well as some information on the Pillars of Eternity Dark Horse Collector's Guide and Prima Strategy Guide, which are now available for sale separately.

aratuk

Cipher
Okay, so now I'm faced with a decision: Steam or GOG?

Generally speaking, I would prefer GOG's lack of DRM and other bullshit, but I wonder if the Steam version might be superior in some way. Will patches show up on Steam several days before they do on GOG, as has happened with Wasteland 2? Will there be modding tools and a modding community that springs up solely around the Steam version, as has happened with Shadowrun Returns?

Last edited:

Aenra

aratuk will be buying it from GOG myself, but only because i will be buying it in about 6,8 months from now. I can't stand the patch-craze, would rather wait. Would..we'll see on this one

in your shoes..i'd go for the pimp Steam. GoG is still inferior in so many ways sadly :(
(and no, i don't mean lack of "achievementz", streaming, or anything equally superfluous)
- one of which being what you just mentioned, receiving delayed patches compared to steam customers. To be ammended, but they've been saying that since last year, so..
- another being your typically needing to redownload the entire game at the Polack's whims, at whatever a frequency they so set (can't be skipped, patches are not compatible). See their recently changing the D:OS installer by themselves despite no new patches being out.
- their removing older patches because storage is cost, etc etc. You missed one because you got a life? No problem, just redownload everything!
- and occasionally fucking up ingame settings they have had no business messing with in the first place, but this last won't apply to PoE anyway. Still worthy of mention though

edit: never post tired. Six edits and still syntax fails

Last edited by a moderator:

Naraya

Arcane
GoG for me all the way, for several reasons - last but not least one of them being that I can play at work.

Wizfall

Cipher
GoG for me too.
The patches use to not come out as quickly but i'm ok waiting some more days to get the last updates (it gives you a little feedback on those).
No big deal if you aware of that and a small price to pay to avoid any DRM (and i'm always glad to have a DRM free game in the end while on Steam you will be forever tied).
Short term/Long term.

Also i dislike the "market power" of Steam, it's not healthy IMO.

AN4RCHID

Arcane
GoG on principle. I'm not that worried about installing patches myself, and from the feedback so far from press and streamers it seems like Obsidian has managed to avoid a horribly broken release. Maybe this will finally be the end of the "bugsidian" meme :)

grudgebringer

Steam edition only. Price tags on GOG became unaffordably high for me. It was fun to have you, GOG, farewell :salute:

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
Last time I bought a new release from GOG I found out too late that they don't get patches for a few days after Steam, which is fucking dumb. So, Steam. I will not be using GOG for new releases anymore.

Shannow

Waster of Time
What are all these claims of "patches a few days later"? That may have happened a few times, but it's not the standard.
And the only time it's important is in the first two weeks after release. After that all those who couldn't wait already finished the game so the patch is superfluous, or shouldn't mind perhaps waiting a day more.
What GoG doesn't do is constantly spy on you, force you to patch although you don't want to or require you to keep malware running in the backround.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
That is just another reason to do the patching with your own launcher as a dev, not use any specific distribution platform for that. Makes is completely independent of the platform and even offers more options to players.
Honestly, it is not that hard to do.

Darkzone

Arcane
GOG from MAGOG is the way! Submit and praise him.

Steam all the way.
God-damned GOG heathens.
You will also bow down before GOG, and deny your GOD.
Btw. what is with the Douchebag tag. I thought you were the DarkUnderlord, don't you have your minions under control. Or is there an Overlord above you?

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I have the game already preloaded, and will unlock in three hours. Unfortunately, I'll be working by that time, and then I'll be at school, so no chance to play until tomorrow.

:negative:

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I gave my key away to another Codexer who I think is P. Cool.

I might give another away. Not planning on playing this for a long time and the irl friend I was going to give it to just bought a PS4 and XBONE so fuck him.

Drowed

Arcane
I want this game so much... But 82 BRL, I simply can't afford it.

I still have Wasteland 2 to play, but I'm waiting for the big patch that they announced. And I still have Grim Dawn, but who knows when it will be out of Early Access (that, and Underrail too)... Ow well.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Hilarious. Went home early from work to play this and found my gf invited a couple of our friends. Meaning I'm going to be stuck in social company instead of delving into this.

Best part? They brought their spawn so instead of playing I'm enjoying how my home is turned into a glorified kindergarten.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Hilarious. Went home early from work to play this and found my gf invited a couple of our friends. Meaning I'm going to be stuck in social company instead of delving into this.

After having three almost empty weekends, I'm doing something 24/7 the next four days :negative:

BUT TONIGHT, TONIGHT WILL BE POE

Aenra

principles are nice, working extra hours to meet the "ethics" [free Witchers DLC ^^] behind them is even better.
like most of us running a small business do. Minus the DLC

so while in theory GOG should have been preferable, i am not feeling very "rewarded" knowing i paid Steam's price on GOG for D:OS, and half a year later i still can't use the editor. At all. Again, that's on top of the above (post)
if you are inclined to prove me wrong and yourselves a true Bro, i am always open for a key trade. I will take your dirty Steam D:OS key, and give you my GOG account. See how many takers we get :)

Ninjerk

Arcane
I gave my key away to another Codexer who I think is P. Cool.

I might give another away. Not planning on playing this for a long time and the irl friend I was going to give it to just bought a PS4 and XBONE so fuck him.
May you ever look 26 :salute:

Shannow

Waster of Time
So, the game has been up on GoG for two hours. Anybody still wanna bitch that GoG is too slow?

But like a good little German I actually waited till the official release-time to even check :negative:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom