Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Matt Chat 283: David Shelley and Laura Bowen on the fall of SSI and going to Kickstarter

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: David Shelley; Gold Box; Laura Bowen; Matt Barton; Seven Dragon Saga; Strategic Simulations, Inc.; Tactical Simulations Interactive

Matt Barton uploaded the third and final episode of his interview with SSI veterans David Shelley and Laura Bowen last night. After a bit more Gold Box fanboying, Matt manages to elicit some interesting information from them in this part. After talking a bit about the Gold Box era, Dave Shelley describes the collapse of SSI as an independent entity due to the gradually declining sales of the Gold Box games (which according to him was tied to the replacement of the C64 by the IBM PC as the dominant personal computing platform), mismanagement of the Dark Sun project which was given insufficient development time, and corporate overextension which included a failed attempt to break into console game development on the Nintendo and the creation of an entire parallel development team for a sci-fi RPG that was eventually cancelled. There's also an amusing little anecdote from Laura Bowen about a particular female character she was asked to illustrate in one of the Buck Rogers games, which brings to mind certain contemporary developments in the gaming world. I guess some things don't really change.

After talking about SSI, Dave returns to the topic of Seven Dragon Saga, and in particular, its Kickstarter campaign. Keep in mind that this interview was recorded back in September of last year. It turns out they were planning to do the Kickstarter shortly afterwards, in early October. I wonder what made them change their minds, and what they've been doing since then. Well, not enough, that's for sure.

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Dude, go back and read those old posts from September in the thread. It totally sounds like they're ready to reveal a kickstarter. Then, they disappeared for a couple months and came back with DA:I reviews. That was when I lost my shit.

:dgaider:

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
It sounds like DA:I happened. They thought "wow, this is better than what we were planning to do", then spent the next few months adjusting their project. This sort of "new-feature-must-copy" syndrome happens all the time in the industry.

Dorateen

Arcane
Maybe... but if that's the case, if they were going to pander to the DAI crowd, they would have dropped full party creation and opted for pause and play, instead of turn-based combat. But they didn't do that.

rezaf

Cipher
Rather sad interview when looking at this with the imminent kickstarter failure in mind.
I love it when those industry veterans talk about the olden days, but ... dreaming about reaping in millions of dollars on their good name alone (a good name that's so old, it's passport would have expired years ago) is more than a bit delusional.
:negative:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom