Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Warhammer 40k: Regicide pre-orders open

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera

Shannow

Waster of Time
Will GW ever allow the development of a non-gimmicky, good Warhammer game?
SotHR, Dark Omen, Chaos Gate, Final Liberation, Dawn of War (2): They all ranged from ok to good.
I'd improve and expand on those.
Instead they do gimmicky stuff like Blood Bowl, Chess or Mordheim. And if not gimmicky, then it's downright (mobile) trash...

Last edited:

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Blood bowl is not gimmicky :rpgcodex:

But yes more proper and original games would be nice.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
SotHR, Dark Omen, Chaos Gate, Final Liberation, Dawn of War (2): They all ranged from ok to good.
Instead they do gimmicky stuff like Blood Bowl, Chess or Mordheim. And if not gimmicky, then it's downright (mobile) trash...
The upcoming Total Warhammer will probably not be particularly gimmicky. It remains to see if it can be good, but that will be down to CA rather than GW.

deus101

Never LET ME into a tattoo parlor!
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2

What? Does it take away from the OH so serious setting of Warhammer?

Absalom

Instead they do gimmicky stuff like Blood Bowl
Blood bowl was by far the best thing GW has produced :rpgcodex:

And GW has some bizarre fixation with making sure it's IP's gets handled by the worst developers possible.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
any1 knows if this is gonna have just a chess mode only with 40k minis?

a pawn throwing nades at the opponent looks p retarded
Yes, it will have a chess mode with warhammer minis and killing animations.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Is Blood Bowl a game like Dark Omen, Shadow of the Horned Rat?
No. It's gimmicky, and if you guys like it, good for you.
I'd like to get something in the vein of Dark Omen (or any of the other games I mentioned, though DO/SotHR more than the others). I don't get what's unreasonable or unusual about that. Seems to be the most obvious type of game for the Warhammer IP. And if that were made, it'd take nothing away from you. You'd still have a halfway new/modern Blood Bowl. You may even get another game you like. I get a game I'd like. Everyone is happy. So what's bad about that?
I've been confronted with your type of stupidity for over 8 years and I still don't get it.

Total War: Warhammer... Yeah well, might be fun. Might be another CA clusterfuck. Might be cancelled.
But generally I'd prefer managing a merc company like in DO, rather than having the whole strategic layer, that doesn't make much sense in the Warhammer setting (with diplomacy and so on).

Aothan

Magister
Mark of Chaos was actually a good all round strategy game, with little reliably internal balance, but the community that survived for a few years set up a series of house rules that ensured approximate balance between armies and composition (i.e. not armies consisting almost exclusively of Warp throwers, etc).

sser

Arcane
Developer
The upcoming Total Warhammer will probably not be particularly gimmicky. It remains to see if it can be good, but that will be down to CA rather than GW.

So it'll be shit, then.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Should have been April 01, 2059, but otherwise solid post. :bro:

MoC, seen in a vacuum, is a mediocre game with many, many issues. Seen as the successor to DO (if one really likes DO and expected something similar, of which I'm guilty) it's a huge pile of shit, that is best forgotten.

Aothan, IIRC we had this discussion before, so don't bother further inflating your post count ;)

Aothan

Magister
I don't actually recall the discussion and will leave everyone's interests as they prefer them except to mention there were balance issues, such as the Chaos single-use item that would spontaneously break the moral of units in a wide area of effect.

also, my 'tactical' invention of fielding three High Elven princes with Phoenix Shot, in retrospect I now realise that was completely overpowered and I'm sorry for playing like that

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Dawn of War series was gimmicky.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom