Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News Beamdog working on a Baldur's Gate interquel set between BG1 and BG2, and some other stuff

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Baldur's Gate; Beamdog

Over at Beamdog's Beamblog, there's a new post announcing the Edition Enhancers' plans for the new year. Chief among them is the upcoming release of a project known as "Adventure Y". There have been rumors about Adventure Y since all the way back in 2012, and back in November Trent Oster confirmed on Reddit that it was in full production. The popular assumption was that it was some sort of "interquel" that would bridge the gap between BG1 and BG2. That assumption has turned out to be true. I quote:

With the new year upon us, we’ve been planning out our projects for the next twelve months. Here’s a sneak peek of what Beamdog is up to in 2015.

Adventure Y

This year, the eagerly anticipated Adventure Y will finally navigate the dark underground caverns of development and venture out into the Sword Coast. We’ve mentioned before that Adventure Y will be an addition to the Baldur’s Gate line using the Infinity engine, bridging the gap between Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition and Baldur’s Gate II: Enhanced Edition. Keep an eye on the Beamblog in late spring for announcements regarding the content and release date of Adventure Y. We have an exciting release planned for this game, something bigger than we’ve ever done before. If you’re looking for more information on Adventure Y, check out these pictures which were mysteriously leaked to the forums.​

But that's not all. They're also working on an Adventure Z, which "might involve sharks". What isn't currently in development, however, is a Baldur's Gate 3.

Adventure... Z?

By late summer we should be ready to talk about our next project after Adventure Y. “Adventure Z” sounds boring, so let’s call it Project: Beartrap. Right now all we can say about Project: Beartrap is that it exists and it’s a departure for us in terms of what we’ve done in the past. Also, the project might involve sharks. Maybe we should call it Project: Sharktrap? Either way, we’re looking forward to giving you more details mid-year.

Fifth Edition

We got a lot of questions about Dungeons & Dragons fifth edition and a potential Baldur’s Gate III on our reddit AMA. We’d be lying if we said we never think about doing a Baldur’s Gate III game, so we won’t say that. But we will say there’s nothing in the works yet regarding BGIII or a 5th edition game. That doesn’t mean the opportunity will never arise, though, so we’re preparing by starting a tabletop 5th edition Dungeons & Dragons game here in the office. Amber, aka the BeamBard, is our first sacrificial DM in running an office campaign. Expect future Beamblog posts on how she ruthlessly murderized all our lovingly created characters.

More project details and release information will be announced on the Beamblog as the year progresses, so check back often. You can also share your thoughts on the forums or follow us @Beamdoginc. Wishing you all the best in 2015!
Sharks...sahuagin? But they say it's a departure from what they've done in the past. I got nothing!

Athelas

Arcane
If Beamdog's business goal is to make a living off producing Baldur's Gate fanfiction in video game form, they're certainly succeeding at it.

I won't say no to another Infinity Engine game though.

Ramireza

Savant
I like the new content they created for the EE Versions :) It was surely not as good as some (!) of the BG2 content (not all BG2 quests/characters/maps are brilliant) but there where fun. And i like Neera btw :)

Cant wait to play the Adventure between BG1 und BG2.

:yeah:

And who knows? Maybe this new Adventure is a Buddy DLC like ME3 - Citadel! Heaving Breakfast with Minsc, Jaheira and Kahlid after a Party in our own Castle? GREEEAT!

:troll:

Last edited:

Drowed

Arcane
The popular assumption was that it was some sort of "interquel" that would bridge the gap between BG1 and BG2. That assumption has turned out to be true.

What.
No, I mean it. WHAT. THE. FUCK.

:what:

Saber-Scorpion

Learned
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
:x

I could possibly convince myself to enjoy this stuff if it wasn't nominally Baldur's Gate. But since it is, I can't shake the feeling it's just like some modder getting the right to declare his fanfictions as official content and then slapping a price on them.

Tigranes

Arcane
Wonderful. Everyone dreams of another IE game, we get this.

At least with the sharks thing it'll be 'new', so I can just ignore it.

Eterek

Novice
bridging the gap between Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition and Baldur’s Gate II: Enhanced Edition

WTF gap? Prolgue clearly states that Charname was abducted and tortured by Irenicus. Maybe they add deep emotional conversations with Jon for da imershun?

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Facebook's autoselection of thumbnails says it all:

t2LEECn.jpg

(actually I don't feel that way myself - at this point I don't care if they release more crap, but on the off-chance we get a decent fan-mod with a low pricetag, I'm willing to give this one the benefit of the doubt I guess)

Last edited:

Karwelas

Dwarf Taffer
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut I helped put crap in Monomyth
No. Don't even let dream these faggots about making ANYTHING on their own with 'Baldur's Gate' name. We want to see new, good RPG from on IE. Not fucking 60$ fanfic mod.

:killitwithfire:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Facebook's autoselection of thumbnail's says it all:

t2LEECn.jpg

(actually I don't feel that way myself - at this point I don't care if they release more crap, but on the off-chance we get a decent fan-mod with a low pricetag, I'm willing to give this one the benefit of the doubt I guess)

Funny you mention that. The RPG Codex Twitter audience is a lot more supportive of Beamdog than the forum posters: https://twitter.com/RPGCodex/status/553200958038376448

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Retweet doesn't have to mean endorsement, just that it's interesting news in some way. No one has favorited the tweet so far.
:troll:

Drowed

Arcane
You know what... Yeah, that's true. I'm not even that mad. It's not even 10% of what it was when Bethesda revealed that Fallout 3 was a FPS.

At least it's an "Infinity Engine Game". Kinda. And we are in the "Age of Incline" (this sould be next game in the Age of Decadence timeline), so I just don't care as much as I used to.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I welcome these news. Beamdog is on their way to become an actual player on the market.

And while I do think the extended content in the EEs is supbar, I will not write off Beamdog as incapable of delivering a good unique campaign.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Uuuuuhm.... so how the fuck is this going to tie in into the series? Especailly considering levelups and new party members and shit like that?

Since you begin BG2 at the level you finished BG1 at... uhm. Yeah. What? How? How will they solve this? If this is to seamlessly tie in to the series, there should be exactly ZERO levelups during that interquel.

HOW THE FUCK IS THIS GOING TO WORK?!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Uuuuuhm.... so how the fuck is this going to tie in into the series? Especailly considering levelups and new party members and shit like that?

Since you begin BG2 at the level you finished BG1 at... uhm. Yeah. What? How? How will they solve this? If this is to seamlessly tie in to the series, there should be exactly ZERO levelups during that interquel.

HOW THE FUCK IS THIS GOING TO WORK?!

Well, aren't you the guy who is always saying "Fuck balance"? :P

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Yeah, I don't care about balance. Which is why I used a no level cap mod for BG1 to import an overlevelled char to BG2.

But I do care about continuity :P

FeelTheRads

Arcane
At the end of it you find out it was a dream and Bobby is alive you didn't actually level up.

Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I think the reason to be at least a little hopeful about this is that the Beamdog team has been working together for a while now, and though they're more or less paid modders, this is a larger and more focused creative effort, as opposed to tacking on new npcs and their related arcs/quests.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom