Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Underrail Dev Log #36: Version 0.1.13.0 Released + Development Roadmap

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Stygian Software; Underrail

The Underrail Early Access release received an update today, and as usual, a new entry on the game's devblog is here to tell you what it's all about. It looks like the end of development is finally in sight...although Styg is still unwilling to commit to a release date. I quote:

Hey guys, the new version is available on Steam now and, as before, it will be available on other platforms as soon as we stabilize it.

In this update we added new factions with their optional questlines, namely - Free Drones, Protectorate and the super secret one. We added most of the remaining areas that we planned for the game, which include Upper Underrail and Lower Underrail passages, so speaking geographically most of the game is complete. If you want the full list of what's new, check out the previous two dev logs before reading further.

One thing to note, however, is that if you want to experience the new questlines you'll probably have to start a new game, unfortunately, since we had to make some changes to existing areas and quests in order to fit them in.

Before I insert the obligatory list of miscellaneous changes, here's a little sneak peak at some of the new areas, focusing primarily on the mighty Protectorate war machine.

The leveling/XP changes introduced here are just the first step. I'll be tweaking leveling speed and level cap stuff further in the next update. From those that start a new playthrough with a new character in this version I would appreciate any feedback that they can provide on the leveling speed, time they hit level cap, and just general leveling experience (of both classical and oddity systems).

Now I want to talk a bit about the future development plans. I won't be giving you a release date, though I can safely say it won't be this year as I initially hoped. However, know that the end is in sight.

When it comes to mechanical stuff, there are still stuff like components, items, feats, abilities, etc to be added. However, there are currently no plans to add any more major mechanics (gas and fire should be the last). From the content side there are two parts of the main quest left that, as it happens, take part in two locations that are yet to be added - Institute of Tchort and Deep Caverns.
So here's what going to happen.

The next content update that we release will feature Institute of Tchort part of the main questline. This will be the last Early Access release. Afterwards, only the Deep Caverns are left before the game is complete. When we finish those, we will take extra time to polish up the game (we won't release Deep Caverns right away), especially the older areas which are no longer up to par with the new stuff. We will also take extra time to test the game to stomp out as many bugs as possible. Then we will release the game in full, make lots of money, retire to a tropical island and live happily ever after. That's the plan at least.

How long will this take? As long as it needs to. It would be pointless for me to give you a release date estimate, since I will gladly ignore it for the sake of the game as I did before. The quality of the game is my primary concern and in the long run that is best for everyone. We're nearing the end, though, so stay patient, dudes.​

Godspeed! Be sure to check out the full update for a more detailed list of changes introduced in this version.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
Tip of the inclineberg here, fellas. Incredible how the game of the decade keeps getting even better, incrementally. It's almost too much to take!

:hero:
Cheers, Styg. You are a God amongst trannies, racists and autists*.

*and other assorted worthless scum.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Styg said:
How long will this take? As long as it needs to. It would be pointless for me to give you a release date estimate, since I will gladly ignore it for the sake of the game as I did before. The quality of the game is my primary concern and in the long run that is best for everyone. We're nearing the end, though, so stay patient, dudes.

This game was awesome from the goddamned alpha, and it's constantly getting better and better. You are the MAN, Styg. Underrail will be better than all those other big name kickstarted rpgs combined together, and it's basically the work of one fabulous man. Keep it up like that and blow our minds with the final product.

:brodex:

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
prestyge.png

This reminds me, I should have backed (metaphorically) this game long ago. Mistake which will be easy corrected.

Drowed

Arcane
Underrail is my most wanted game since... What... Ever? Seriously. I decided that I wont play anymore until the game is released, but each updade is a punch in the face of my willpower.

Great job as always. From what I have played, it's a instant classic the moment it's released. The only downside is that the story doesn't seems as strong as I would hoped it to be so I could say that the game is "perfect". But it's good enough, and the gameplay, customization, atmosphere and basically everything else is amazing.

Keep it up!

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
The funny thing is that he moment it is released, the Codex will suddenly realise that it was shit all along....

like every other RPG evah...
not unless there are significant changes to the release version, which is doubtful.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
The lack of a map is still an unnecessary hassle in my opinion, making the player check a printed map from the interweb or having him draw his own map on paper is not fun, it's not interesting, and it doesnt make the game anymore of an rpg than it is.

Achiman

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
2015 is going to be the year of not getting much done... So strange to have this year, which was pretty damn decent for rpgs and another year to follow with a strong line up of games I actually want to play.
Not "meh, if that is what there is..." rpgs.
Styg should have charged at least 25 bucks for this though. He should look into doing some collectors/ultimate/fancy edition so I can give him some more money for his game. Hell, I bought Binding of Isaac about 3 times cause I was guilty it cost $2.50 when it came out.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
The lack of a map is still an unnecessary hassle in my opinion, making the player check a printed map from the interweb or having him draw his own map on paper is not fun, it's not interesting, and it doesnt make the game anymore of an rpg than it is.

They actually put signposts up with this update. So, honestly, if you still have complaints you just sort of...suck?

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
I personally love it and find it wholly unique for the genre. Not to mention the game is huge on atmosphere and completely nails it.

Last edited:

Kem0sabe

Arcane

They actually put signposts up with this update. So, honestly, if you still have complaints you just sort of...suck?

Signposts are not a map. Lack of a map hurts the game more than it helps, in fact... it's beyond me how people can think that underrail not having a robust map feature helps in someway the exploration or immersion of the game.

valcik

Arcane
Can't wait anymore. Tried the demo version from indiedb.com several months back, got hooked really hard. Now I'm suffering with nasty withdrawal symptoms after uninstalling this shit, my hands are shaking so badly that I cannot pee anymore without actually fapping!

getter77

Augur
All signs indicate this will indeed be one of the best of the best by far---excellent that they are taking the time necessary to get it right.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom