Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News Brian Fargo says Van Buren and Meantime trademarks aren't related to inXile's next game

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Brian Fargo; InXile Entertainment; Meantime

Since we published our inXile trademark scoop last weekend, a multitude of sites, large and small, have reported on the news. Last night, IGN published their own report on the matter. Unlike all the other sites before them, they also managed to get a substantive comment from Brian Fargo:

"I truly feel fortunate that with crowdfunding and the great response to Wasteland 2 I can actually start to plot out a long RPG future for us," Brian Fargo, CEO of inXile Entertainment, told IGN. "I think it's important to remember that some of these ideas are, at best, many years away. While they are not a part of what's up next, I certainly would not have filed for them if I didn't have a deep interest in exploring these concepts."
Well, I guess that settles it. Bard's Tale IV, here we come?

Dehumanizer

Educated
BT4, as in a turn-based blobber that is at the same time hardcore (though not at Wizardry IV levels, but then again what is?) and doesn't take itself too seriously (without being a comedy game)? With more events, plot and stuff to do, instead of 99% of the challenge coming from mapping and combat (though I hope they don't remove those), which was the case back then because the game had to fit in 64KB computers with 180KB-per-side disk drives, and that limitation doesn't exist anymore? I'd buy (or, more likely, pledge to) that.

I don't know, however, if it would sell, or be a very successful Kickstarter.

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
I think the recent success of games like MMX:L and LoGII, along with more "Old School" games like WL2 and D:OS, indicate there is a healthy level of interest in these kinds of games. For one, I would love see a modern phase based combat dungeon crawler ala The Bard's Tale, or the extensive spell book that was offered, or the inclusion of well-done music as a game mechanic instead of just a meta-gaming atmosphere addition. There's a lot of shit they could do hasn't yet been tackled in this modern resurgence of older mechanics.

SwiftCrack

Arcane
He's going to pull a Twilight Zone Twist and will release The Black Hound.

m_s0

Arcane
Not gonna lie, I want a Bard's Tale IV more than I want Meantime.
Speaking of sequels, there's also the The Archmage's Tale and The Thief's Tale. That'd be a neat curveball, though I doubt that it's any of these two he had in mind when he wrote about "another RPG that has been passionately demanded of us for a while now."

BT is probably the one to go with because of brand recognition (at least relatively speaking).

Obviously interesting looking projects are going to be put on hold in favour for substanially inferior one. I hope so much we will not get a generic fantasy game. All in vain:-(

But maybe next kickstarter won't be The Bards Tale? It's trademark is dead, why would Fargo care about trademarking projects which are going to be made in few years, but not the most near?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Obviously interesting looking projects are going to be put on hold in favour for substanially inferior one. I hope so much we will not get a generic fantasy game. All in vain:-(

But maybe next kickstarter won't be The Bards Tale? It's trademark is dead, why would Fargo care about trademarking projects which are going to be made in few years, but not the most near?

It's actually not dead. Hint: Trademarks can be registered outside the United States.

himmy

Arcane
I don't know, however, if it would sell, or be a very successful Kickstarter.

Fargo proved time and time again that he is a master of pulling the media string he needs (or plucking them, in the case of a Bard's Tale). It's nice that the Codex takes satisfaction in the fact that some trademark found by Roguey was picked up by the mainstream gaming media, but this only happened because Fargo managed to perfectly make his every move interesting to the press. He made the media make people who did not care that much about Wasteland or Torment before to throw money at his Kickstarters and he ran those by turning virtually every stretch goal into a media stunt.

Sure, you're gonna have some people complaining that it's not isometric, just like you had clueless berks that complained about the TB combat in T:ToN, but if he dies run a new Kickstarter campaign for a new Bard's Tale, the Internet will eat it up like the little bitch that it is. A few long-form interviews detailing his plans and every media outlet writing short pieces that explain to people why Bard's Tale is the OLD SCHOOL RPG RETURN THAT YOU HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR, coupled with the fact that Wasteland 2 is generally considered a success, and the first million and a half is already in the bank.

Athelas

Arcane
He made the media make people who did not care that much about Wasteland or Torment before to throw money at his Kickstarters and he ran those by turning virtually every stretch goal into a media stunt.
Torment is the #1 selling game on GOG and over the years has come to be recognized as the best written game ever. Wasteland is connected to Fallout, the Bethesda-published games of which were huge commercial and critical successes. Bard's Tale is quite a different story from these two.

Though I guess we'll find out soon enough.

himmy

Arcane
He made the media make people who did not care that much about Wasteland or Torment before to throw money at his Kickstarters and he ran those by turning virtually every stretch goal into a media stunt.
Torment is the #1 selling game on GOG and over the years has come to be recognized as the best written game ever. Wasteland is connected to Fallout, the Bethesda-published games of which were huge commercial and critical successes. Bard's Tale is quite a different story from these two.

Maybe, but nothing that can't be turned around with some good marketing, which is what I'm saying. I think that Fargo will try to make the Bard's Tale IP seem every bit as iconic the other two are. I'm not saying the KS campaign will be more successful than the Torment one, it's way too early to tell, but I bet it will be in the 1.5 - 2M range, at least.

Darkzone

Arcane
Someone should check the Madrid international Trademark system for Bard's Tale. Or Amsterdam, London, Australia. I doubt that Fargo would do it in EE.

joelofdeath

Educated
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I still think Arcanum makes sense. Definitely fits the bill for hotly requested. They could also use their modified poe engine. Torment core team working on an arcanum sequel would be too good for words.

Self-Ejected

supervoid

Self-Ejected
Someone should check the Madrid international Trademark system for Bard's Tale. Or Amsterdam, London, Australia. I doubt that Fargo would do it in EE.
It's trademarked in Australia months ago. Codex's spies haven't tracked this one yet?
pkRH5mZ.jpg

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
It's trademarked in Australia months ago. Codex's spies haven't tracked this one yet?

It didn't need to be tracked, since it was already assumed that Brian Fargo had some sort of ownership of the Bard's Tale trademark - because he's said so in the past.

Darkzone

Arcane
But why let it expire in US, and then to trademark it in Australia? Can someone explain it to me that it makes sense?
Perhaps Fargo should also reserve Neuromancer and Arcanum, both could be used for games.

Self-Ejected

supervoid

Self-Ejected

It didn't need to be tracked, since it was already assumed that Brian Fargo had some sort of ownership of the Bard's Tale trademark - because he's said so in the past.
BT webpage states that InXile own it so this was pretty obvious. Darkzone asked about country so I gave him answer. Btw, if it's both InXile and EA trademark- what that means in practice? Can EA theoretically mess with possible game production or something like this?

But why let it expire in US, and then to trademark it in Australia? Can someone explain it to me that it makes sense?
Perhaps Fargo should also reserve Neuromancer and Arcanum, both could be used for games.
They had also one expired from Australia before. Electronic Arts have it registred in Philiphines and Switzerland if you want to know. This shit is not for minds of mere mortals.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Also note that's The Bard's Tale, or the name of the game InXile is actively selling.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
BT webpage states that InXile own it so this was pretty obvious. Darkzone asked about country so I gave him answer. Btw, if it's both InXile and EA trademark- what that means in practice? Can EA theoretically mess with possible game production or something like this?

Yes, they can. They could have also messed with Wasteland 2's development.

But they didn't, because EA's "old games" department is, surprisingly, staffed by sane people.

Also note that's The Bard's Tale, or the name of the game InXile is actively selling.

The old games are "The Bard's Tale" too, it's just that people have gotten used to calling them just "Bard's Tale" over the years.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom