Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Valkyria Chronicles Released on Steam

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tags: Sega; Valkyria Chronicles

Sega's Strategy RPG Valkyria Chronicles, whose PC port announcement came out of nowhere last month, has been released on Steam today (or unlocked for those of you who preordered it). The PC version includes all previously released DLC for the game, including:

Hard EX Mode (harder versions of skirmish missions in the main game)
Edy’s Mission “Enter the Edy Detachment” (a side story campaign)
Selveria’s Mission “Behind Her Blue Flame” (a side story campaign)
Challenge of the Edy Detachment (six challenge missions)​

There was some initial worry that it was going to be another quick hackjob of a port akin to the Final Fantasy ports that Square Enix has been churning out, but according to this analysis by Durante, the port is actually surprisingly competent for a change:

I’m happy to report that Valkyria Chronicles is entirely free of both of these maladies. As you can see in the screenshot above, the game is happy to run at any spatial and temporal resolution your system claims to support. All of my in-game screenshots in this article are taken at 4480x2520 and downsampled—that’s more than 12 times the resolution the original PS3 version renders at. The game does remain limited to a 16:9 aspect ratio, but while not ideal this is now commonplace even in PC-focused games.

Valkyria scales up beautifully to the higher resolution, with the artistic intent fully intact but freed of the artifacts that detracted from it in the original release. You might have noticed that there are no further graphics settings, which could be indicative of ugly low-res shadows or other effects. However, a more in-depth study of the game’s rendering process reveal that everything scales with resolution (which makes sense)—e.g. shadow maps are rendered at 1280x1280 if you play at 1280p, while they use a full 4480x4480 with the resolution I play at. This works out beautifully in practice, with the quality of all effects increasing with increased rendering resolution.

I was personally surprised that even in a slower-paced game such as this, playing at 60 FPS (rather than the PS3 version’s 30) not only looks but also feels better. It’s not the massive difference expected in an action title, but especially with mouse and keyboard the added temporal resolution makes the controls feel more responsive and immediate. I successfully tested Valkyria at up to 120 frames per second, and was able to run it at over 100 fps at 4K resolution [...]

One additional central requirement on PC, beyond arbitrary resolution and framerate support, is built-in remapping of input devices. The Valkyria Chronicles port delivers here as well, including the ability to map two separate keys per action, which is something I personally always find very helpful. It’s clear that most effort went into making the keyboard and mouse controls work well in the battle interface, where it matters most. The keyboard mapping does a great job in the menus, even if mouse support there would likely be much more intuitive for PC gamers. In-battle, unit selection, movement and aiming works exactly as you would expect, surprisingly including even small touches like adjusting the sniper rifle zoom level with the mouse wheel. [...]

Beyond image quality and framerate, one area where the PC version offers a massive improvement over the console original is loading times. Everyone who has played the PS3 version knows that of the 40 or so hours the game takes to fully complete, at least half an hour will be spent staring at loading screens. On the PC version, the average loading time seems to be around 1 second, and that’s with the game stored on an old mechanical HDD. Saving the game is so rapid that at first I thought it wasn’t working correctly.​

Grab the game here.

Naraya

Arcane
Just played for an hour or so (never played it on PS) and I'm having a blast. So far it looks and plays amazing, totally worth the money IMO. More games should utilize this style of graphics, it's a fresh breath from all this photorealistic crap.

Also hi codex, first post.

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I really liked this game, so I'm glad there is a PC port of it for those RPG fans that lack a PS3. In this age of fast-twitch action games, it was a gutsy move to create a turn-based tactical RPG like this one. They also modernized the genre in a unique way, leaving the overhead view of a Shining Force game or isometric view of a Final Fantasy Tactics game for an over-the-shoulder view when you move each character that gives a small sense of the "fog of war". All in all, even if you do not like console jRPGs, I think a Codexer will be at least interested in trying a short demo of the game in order to check out the blending of different game ingredients used to make the greater whole.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Heard this was a 16 gb download, damn, that's even more than Wasteland 2. :M

VioletShadow

Sensate
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I really liked this game, so I'm glad there is a PC port of it for those RPG fans that lack a PS3. In this age of fast-twitch action games, it was a gutsy move to create a turn-based tactical RPG like this one. They also modernized the genre in a unique way, leaving the overhead view of a Shining Force game or isometric view of a Final Fantasy Tactics game for an over-the-shoulder view when you move each character that gives a small sense of the "fog of war". All in all, even if you do not like console jRPGs, I think a Codexer will be at least interested in trying a short demo of the game in order to check out the blending of different game ingredients used to make the greater whole.
Partner, do you think mu storyfag person will enjoy this? Worth it to give it a try during Xmas break?

Paul_cz

Arcane
Controls are good on both mouse and keybard and controller according to Durante, and I trust him.
I have a friend who raves about this game, considering it one of the best in the last 10 years...might get it.

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Partner, do you think mu storyfag person will enjoy this? Worth it to give it a try during Xmas break?

Yes partner-in-crime, the size of the game mostly is due to the visual novel style story that unfolds chapter by chapter in between the screaming and shooting. Storyfags will rejoice as the story's themes are quite adult despite the young adult cast. Basically, you play in the equivalent of a smaller Belgium stuck in between a larger France and Germany right before the outbreak of World War 1. The cast are a bunch of teenagers and young adults, so in a way its like the Breakfast Club meets the 1980s version of Red Dawn, with steampunk technology.

VioletShadow

Sensate
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Shadorwun: Hong Kong

Yes partner-in-crime, the size of the game mostly is due to the visual novel style story that unfolds chapter by chapter in between the screaming and shooting. Storyfags will rejoice as the story's themes are quite adult despite the young adult cast. Basically, you play in the equivalent of a smaller Belgium stuck in between a larger France and Germany right before the outbreak of World War 1. The cast are a bunch of teenagers and young adults, so in a way its like the Breakfast Club meets the 1980s version of Red Dawn, with steampunk technology.
Visual novel, adult themes, TB .... k
:codexisfor:Will play it.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

Technically closer to dieselpunk.

e298r.jpg

Last edited:

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
Played it on PS3 about 4 years ago. It's a decent game, but the over-sappiness from the characters killed it for me.

Applypoison

Numantian Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Played it on PS3 about 4 years ago. It's a decent game, but the over-sappiness from the characters killed it for me.
Quite possibly the only dealbreaker, to be honest. If you can get over that, the game is worth playing for anyone who even dabbles into strategy titles. Besides, the port IS quite well done; resolution support is massive and you can configure keys & other PC-specific settings before the game launches.

This reminds me, what would happen if RPG Codex and Tacticular Cancer merged into 1 website? RPG Cancer? :smug:

A horse of course

The anime was shit

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom