Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Tales of Maj'Eyal: Ashes of Urh'Rok Expansion Released

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tags: Tales of Maj'Eyal; Tales of Maj'Eyal: Ashes of Urh'Rok

The popular (and pretty good) roguelike Tales of Maj'Eyal, or ToME4, has had a new expansion, Ashes of Urh'Rok, released. It includes two new classes (Doomsbringer and Demonologist), one new race (Doomelves), two new zones, and lots of new lore:

Many in Maj'Eyal have heard of "demons", sadistic creatures who appear seemingly from nowhere, leaving a trail of suffering and destruction whereever they go. Their Fearscape floats far above the skies, watching and waiting, but not idly; their agents scout the land, their legions build up their forces, and their scholars develop new spells and strategies. As the barrier between our worlds begins to crack under their scrutiny, helpless Eyalites have begun to disappear, whisked up to serve as their slaves and playthings. They imbue these victims with magical powers to better survive the ensuing stresses - can you use your new-found abilities to escape the legions of Mal'Rok?

Features
  • Start with a new class, the Doombringer! These avatars of demonic destruction charge into battle with massive two-handed weapons, cutting swaths of firey devastation through hordes of opponents. Armed with flame magic and demonic strength, they delight in fighting against overwhelming odds, softening up the crowd with waves of fire, then feeding on the flames and suffering of their surroundings to stay alive while quickly reducing any group to a pile of ash and gore.
  • Unlock a new class, the Demonologist, with an all-new item enhancement mechanic! Bearing a shield and the magic of the Spellblaze itself, these melee-fighting casters can grow demonic seeds from their fallen enemies. Imbue these seeds onto your items to gain a wide array of new talents and passive benefits, and summon the demons within them to fight on your side! Ever looked at a gigantic demon-cursed minotaur and wished it was on your side for once? Well, now you CAN summon one to pound your foes into paste while you cast devastating spells from afar, or call forth a squad of Fire Imps to pelt your enemies to death while they exhaust themselves on your impenetrable defenses! Demons have persistent health, making them a little more precious than disposable necromancer skeletons or summoner beasts, but can be revived from death nonetheless.
  • Two new zones, with all-new art, foes, and bosses! You've seen the plains of the Fearscape before, now see the lairs and headquarters of the demons themselves!
  • Over 10,000 words of written lore to find! The demons were once an enlightened, peaceful race, hailing from a distant planet known as Mal'Rok; learn what drove them to plot Eyal's eternal torture! Discover monuments to each of the demonic species and noteworthy individuals, showing the place of honor each has among them! Get a glimpse into the culture and daily lives of these sadistic invaders and their brainwashed thralls!
  • Unlock a new race, Doomelves: Shalore who've taken to the demonic alterations especially well, corrupting their typical abilities into a darker form. Blink away to safety, transform into a shadowy dúathedlen to hide in the shadows or prey on your foes with blasts of darkness, use your new resilience to soak up status effects and critical hits, and assault your enemies' minds to leave them unsteady in combat!

Aside from that, the expansion includes new talents, items, appearance options, events, and achievements.

You can buy the expansion on Steam or from the developer's website for about 4€ (or $4 if you live outside Europe, I assume). If you buy it from TE4.org then you'll get a manual download for the expansion as well as being able to permanently add it to Steam.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
So is it worth paying the premium for the game and its DLC or should I just be a cheapskate and play the free one on the website?

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
The "base" version has already a lot of features and you can spend many hours without the need for extra content. If you enjoy it enough, then you might want to pay for the extra content. It will also fuel the future development of the game, which is never a bad thing.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
So is it worth paying the premium for the game and its DLC or should I just be a cheapskate and play the free one on the website?

Be the cheap cunt that you are and play the free version until you can get it for a dollar with 5 other pixel art pretentious 'hard cause it's supposedly so OLD SCHOOL' shovelware turds in some bundle.

Goliath

Arcane
Zionist Agent
The "base" version has already a lot of features and you can spend many hours without the need for extra content. If you enjoy it enough, then you might want to pay for the extra content. It will also fuel the future development of the game, which is never a bad thing.

DarkGod actually sells his game nowadays? And it has DLCs?! I remember when it was still called PernAngband and was open source. Loved PernAngband (my favorite Angband variant) but did not like the new development direction of the game when he renamed it to ToME, which originally stood for "Troubles of Middle Earth" by the way. Damn, DarkGod has been working on this game for over 15 years by now, that is what I call dedication!

Kruno

Arcane
Patron
Village Idiot Zionist Agent Shitposter

DarkGod actually sells his game nowadays? And it has DLCs?! I remember when it was still called PernAngband and was open source. Loved PernAngband (my favorite Angband variant) but did not like the new development direction of the game when he renamed it to ToME, which originally stood for "Troubles of Middle Earth" by the way. Damn, DarkGod has been working on this game for over 15 years by now, that is what I call dedication!

This is why I throw money at this guy. The game is really fun, and hopefully will still be developed for at least another 15-20 years.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron

It has graphics! With particles!

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I could never get into this... not sure why people here rave about it.

Reapa

Doom Preacher
Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup get's new versions, new classes, new races, new gods without begging.
Also no pay4dlc or locked till donated...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom