Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Interview with Colin McComb at RPGNuke

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Colin McComb; InXile Entertainment; Planescape: Torment; PSX Planescape game; Torment: Tides of Numenera; TORN

There's a nice new interview with Colin McComb over at Russian RPG site RPGNuke, in which he answers questions about Torment, about his career and the games he's worked on, and about his thoughts on gaming in general. Here's the part about Torment:

RPGNuke: Hi Colin! Let's start with some Tides of Numenera questions. A one and a half years passed since the end of kickstarter campaign. What is the status of the project now? Where there many changes to the initially planned? Did you have to cut anything out or did you manage to add anything new? As far as I know the pre-production phase now comes to its end and the prodution phase starts, how does this transition occur?

Colin: We are shifting from limited production to production. What limited production means is that we were creating content for the game, but not at the speed that we might expect during a full production period. Rather, it’s in ways that prove out our ideas and concepts, or that show where the weaknesses in our pipeline are, or that help build the best processes for the whole team.

As to whether we had to cut anything: We have! But that’s natural for any project as we assess scope and our desired impact. We’ve tightened up the story in some places, expanded it in others, and tried to make sure that we are focused exactly on delivering what we’ve promised to our backers. We’ve also managed to expand areas that were smaller in the original vision, and I’m happy with where we are as a result of our discussions.

The transition from Wasteland 2 to Torment is happening slowly and carefully under Kevin’s supervision. He wants to make sure that the newer members of the team are done with their responsibilities on Wasteland 2, or at least done enough that they can begin to devote serious attention to our project. They’ll start by getting familiar with our tools and our processes, and they can point out places where our processes and documentation need improvement. As more and more of them come over, and as people ramp up on the project, we’ll see a faster pace for production and creation of all our assets.

New Torment will have turn-based combat system. Not everyone is happy about that, though Planescape: Torment combat system is being scolded frequently too. Please tell me, did you consider to make Planescape: Torment turn-based? Do you think this variant could be viable and what do you prefer: turn-based or realtime with pause?

With Planescape: Torment, we didn’t really have a choice, as I recall. We were working with the Infinity Engine, and we were working on delivering an experience that matched (at least in part) what Bioware had done with Baldur’s Gate. We had a much broader latitude to choose turn-based or real-time with pause for this game, but even then we had a difficult decision to make. Having backer feedback was invaluable, and even then, it was a tough decision. The more we delve into the Crisis system, the more I am convinced we made the right choice.

My personal preference for games depends on what game I’m playing. I’m not an absolutist in either direction.

Torment: Tides of Numenera's central question is "What does one life matter?", were there any other variants in concideration?

From the start, it was always about the legacy we leave from the choices we make in life. The difficulty was in finding the right words to express that question. I believe it was Nathan Long who came up with this particular phrase, and as soon as he said it, we were off.

At first glance it seems that Torment: Tides of Numenera replicates a lot of ideas from Planescape: Torment. Do you think this statement is correct?

I agree with "at first glance" and "seems". That is, it might appear that way superficially, but one could say that of any number of stories. We're intentionally focusing on an intensely personal story, as PST did (though we're talking about issues of legacy and abandonment rather than regret and growth); we're in a strange, alien world, with unusual characters for an RPG. We chose all these similarities deliberately, identifying them as key parts of the Torment experience. But we are also deliberately stepping away from a number of the things that PST did, because we don't want to replicate it. Our mission is to analyze what we loved about PST, and then to make a game that will be a worthy successor to that title, a welcome peer, and hopefully a milestone for future development.​

The rest of the interview is interesting too, though. I didn't know Colin was an Ultima guy.

VioletShadow

Sensate
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Oh wow this is a really good interview!
If you are offered to make another Planescape-based game, about what will it be?

I'd move away from the Torment pillars and make a game less about personal exploration and back into the broad sweep and grandeur of the planes. I'd want factional intrigues, proxies of the powers, and more action on the Upper Planes. There's a wealth of material there that's waiting to be mapped and enjoyed.
:cmcc::desu::takemyjewgold:

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Oh wow this is a really good interview!
If you are offered to make another Planescape-based game, about what will it be?

I'd move away from the Torment pillars and make a game less about personal exploration and back into the broad sweep and grandeur of the planes. I'd want factional intrigues, proxies of the powers, and more action on the Upper Planes. There's a wealth of material there that's waiting to be mapped and enjoyed.
:cmcc::desu::takemyjewgold:

:salute:

Come on, inXile, for Torment 3 you could do a deal with the devil and get the Planescape license.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I wonder after Wasteland 2 and Torment what old franchise Fargo is going to try to ressurect. I am still waiting for LOTR Vol 3, Brian.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Third Kickstarter: a dungeon crawler or bust.

(Actually, I'll pledge even if it's not a dungeon crawler, depending on the pitch.)

Cazzeris

It would be awesome if they redeemed themselves with a decent BT4.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I suspect that if there's ever a new Bard's Tale, Fargo would want to combine it with the new one. It'd end up being a comedic thing, a higher fidelity Frayed Knights.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I seriously doubt that InXile switches to first person dungeon crawling game after building their reputation with isometric "choice and consequences" games.

I'm hopeful for a proper new Bard's Tale game.

In my dreams
:negative:

He said in that fan interview on reddit that he is thinking about it. Or about time traveling RPG which I deeply prefer.

For instance, the dwarves were biomancers, four or five different sub-cultures competing against one another in endless war to see who could create the most fearsome monsters. They were the creators of the elves, who in turn were beautiful but soulless killing machines who had turned on their masters. Halflings were feral prairie dogs. I wrote about 128 pages for that, creating a reasonable geology for the world before building its history, living and dead civilizations, and mythologies and gods for each.

Amazing!!:takemymoney:

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I'm hopeful for a proper new Bard's Tale game.

In my dreams
:negative:

As am I. I am however PRAYING they are possibly considering doing that Sci-Fi/Time Travelling game/idea. Because that sounded fucking awesome.

As for a new Bard's Tale game: Since they don't own the IP (they DO own The Bards Tale™ trademark) I personally don't see them having to make a deal with EA THE GREAT SATAN for the IP rights, they could easily just re-boot the entire series, setting, characters etc....

And basically make a Grimrock 2 like engine, and make it a TURN-BASED blobber. And steal that "personalities" mechanic from Wizardy 8, because that was great. Seriously I couldn't throw money at that fast enough...

Zeriel

Arcane
:salute:

Come on, inXile, for Torment 3 you could do a deal with the devil and get the Planescape license.

I thought I was past ever experiencing childish glee again, but a legit Planescape-based game that's more about Planescape than Torment with all these guys on board would have me fanboying to the point of no return.

Doubt it'll ever happen, though. D&D be deader than dead on the vidya front.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Yeah, I'm just saying because Wizards said at some point that they are willing to license Planescape. But who knows what the terms are and the costs and what not.
Or if inXile would even want to use a setting that's dead and buried.

Athelas

Arcane
If anyone's going to be allowed to make a cRPG based on the Planescape setting, it's Beamdog. :negative:

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Thanks for reminding me how awesome TORN could have been, RPGNuke... :negative:

Just kidding - great interview. :salute:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom