Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Kingdom Come: Deliverance Alpha Released

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Kingdom Come: Deliverance; Warhorse Studios

As promised in the game's previous update three weeks ago, the Kingdom Come: Deliverance alpha (which Warhorse is calling a "technical alpha") was released to eligible backers early this morning. The accompanying Kickstarter update has the details:

We proudly present you the Tech Alpha version of Kingdom Come: Deliverance! This is a very important milestone for us as it gives us the first chance to show you what’s already been created and what we are aiming for. At the same time also providing us with the first chance to get direct feedback from you!

Your feedback is very important to us in the following steps of development. Seeing videos and screenshots is nice, but touching and feeling the interactive piece with all your senses is way better. Therefore backers with the Baron Tier and higher will get the chance to meet Henry and experience his life in 1403.

Usually Alpha version means that you get a finished game with plenty of bugs, rough edges and missing parts. We would like to approach the Alpha early access phenomenon a bit differently. So how our Alpha look like? Our Alpha version is more likely a Technical Alpha.

What does that mean? The Tech Alpha version of Kingdom Come: Deliverance is a collection of several technical aspects and game mechanisms in a more or less advanced state of development. The playable content will grow in stages (updated versions approximately every two or three months), adding new aspects, settings or game mechanics to the Alpha. You’ll get the chance to become acquainted with Kingdom Come: Deliverance step by step and can delve into more and more of our world as the amount of the content grow. Interested?

All eligible backers get their unique code on their profile at www.KingdomComeRPG.com. Please visit our site and register there, so you can manage your credentials like address, preferred platform or T-shirt size.

The Alpha is accessible for Windows PCs only and via Steam service. Your unique code will open the game visible and downloadable. After you install it, your initial journey can begin.

Unfortunately this early in development a wide variety of technical problems while downloading, installing, and launching the game are probable. Therefore if you run into any issues we will be happy to help. If you would like to share your opinion, please visit our forums or contact us and we’ll do whatever we can to help you.

Please consider that the game is far from finished and the bugs are there. We appreciate your feedback from the gaming experience!
The update also has some screenshots, as well as a stand-alone version of the alpha trailer we've already seen. Rather than post that again, I'll show you one of the many LPs of the alpha that are already up on YouTube.

Quite majestic. But still a bit rough.

Chunkyman

Augur
It seems like you can move forward and backwards at the same speed. God I hope they fix that, I hate the "running-backwards-while-swinging-wildly" approach most of these types of games strongly encourage.

Other than that, it looks good. I especially love the look of the forests, almost no game does them right.

DreadMessiah

Liturgist
meh set in "real" crap setting. no thanks. hate that kind of mundane boring shit.

Achiman

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
Meh-dom-come

such highlights include "running down this path" "meeting a villager" "see the trees, see the bloom"
Pass

aleph

Arcane
This looks great! The landscape looks quite realistic and familiar.

Though this is no surprise as it was obvious from the screenshots, the console influence in the interface is fucking horrible. It's not just like Oblivion V2, it is Oblivion V2. But obviously Daniel.Vavra simply loves his console crap.

It also does one thing I hate in first person games: forcing me out of the first person perspective, also not surprising judging from past games Dan was involved with; 3rd Person Emotional Cinematic Experience(tm).

Tech demo also looks subpar to the tech demo leak from last year or so.

Paul_cz

Arcane
Though this is no surprise as it was obvious from the screenshots, the console influence in the interface is fucking horrible. It's not just like Oblivion V2, it is Oblivion V2. But obviously Daniel.Vavra simply loves his console crap.

It also does one thing I hate in first person games: forcing me out of the first person perspective, also not surprising judging from past games Dan was involved with; 3rd Person Emotional Cinematic Experience(tm).

I for one am glad the interface is done to support both mousekeyboard and controller, since I intend to play the PC version on my big ass TV with a controller. I have no doubt the interface will get some tuning though.
What do you mean by being forced out of first person ?
And what tech demo leak do you mean ?

iSqeohSDIwM6n.png

i19Ydzy9P56Va.jpg

Anyway, if nothing, else, it will be nice walking in Bohemian countryside sim :p

The interface is done for gamepad but supports k&m. That's the problem. Don't count on it being changed as basic functionality of it looks pretty finalized to me.

Being forced out of first person = try engaging in dialogue. An option to toggle that on/off would be nice.

And correction: tech demo video leak:

Also, they waited 2 years before releasing a tech demo alpha? Or they are doing well-controlled phases of releasing stuff.

At any rate, looks fucking great but they could tune indoor HDR a bit as lighting is almost like a cave inside the huts.

Paul_cz

Arcane
Ah, the dialogue third person is right. Forgot about that, I don't mind it. Helll I prefer it compared to the static first person of Bethesda games.
Regarding the controls, Vavra talks about them in the kickstarter livestream, that you can do on both control schemes stuff you can do in like Total Commander, search, sort by different parameters etc.. We'll see.

Yeah, as if that's a good thing. That's what Oblivion did.

G1Nrs1l.gif

No fun (nor user-friendly) playing Total fucking Commander in my RPG. Dan is a good bro but he has his head stuck up a little up his ass in some matters sometimes. See the discussion with him about TB.

Last edited:

Darkzone

Arcane
No fun (nor user-friendly) playing Total fucking Commander in my RPG. Dan is a good bro but he has his head stuck up a little up his ass in some matters.
Norton Commander and Total Commander were very useful tools. But what organisation tools / form would you prefer?

Comparing OS file management to computer game inventory management; nope, I'm not having this conversation. Not unless you commit suicide first.

Oh, the answer: more or less anything else.

Last edited:

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
doesn't look as horrible as Oblivion's inventory, seems a bit more organized and the items take up less screen space individually (smaller icons) which is good

Gord

Arcane

(img)

No fun (nor user-friendly) playing Total fucking Commander in my RPG. Dan is a good bro but he has his head stuck up a little up his ass in some matters sometimes. See the discussion with him about TB.

To his defense, TB would be pretty strange in a 1st person (or 3rd person shoulder view) aRPG. I think most butthurt was anyway generated over how skills are supposed to work, esp. in respect to interaction between player and character skills.

As for the inventory, I have seen worse.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

The alpha demo definitely does NOT look supbar to the leak, no idea watcha talking about bro. And the thing about the 3rd person is a complete non-issue for me.

But I'll give you one thing, when Dan talked about how they came up with a great compromise between a PC and console inventory I certainly didn't expect Oblivion 2.0. How they thought the half-abstracted cutesy painted item icons in a supposedly realistic game can substitute for a grid inventory with realistic looking armors, swords or herbs is a good idea I can't begin to fathom. But here we are. The only real disappointment so far.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom