Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Legend of Grimrock 2 Released

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Almost Human Games; Legend of Grimrock 2

So, Legend of Grimrock 2, the sequel to Almost Human's dungeon crawling indie hit, was released this evening. The original Legend of Grimrock, released two and a half years ago back in April 2012, turned out to be an early precursor to the great RPG retro revival of our times. With all the great games coming out these days, for a while there it was easy to believe that poor, simple Legend of Grimrock would fall by the wayside and be forgotten. But it doesn't look like that's going to happen. The guys at Almost Human resisted the temptation to churn out a quick slam-dunk sequel, which they could have easily done. Instead, they spent the time and produced a bigger, better, more impressive game, capable of holding its own in today's more competitive oldschool RPG arena. And for that they should be applauded. Here's Grimrock 2's official description from its Steam page:

Legend of Grimrock 2 is a dungeon crawling role playing game with a modern execution but an oldschool heart. A group of four prisoners have shipwrecked on the secluded Isle of Nex. The island is filled with ancient crumbled ruins, mysterious shrines and a vast underground network of dungeons and mines. If the prisoners wish to make it out alive, they have to overcome the challenges devised by the ominous mastermind of the island.

Powers of perception and logic are more important than sheer force is, since Legend of Grimrock 2 puts a heavy emphasis on exploration, survival and challenging puzzles. Discover powerful ancient artifacts from hidden secret chambers and buried treasures. Arm your champions, cast spells and craft enchanted potions and bombs to aid you in fighting the dreadful monsters in highly tactical real-time combat.

Design, share and play custom scenarios with the included Dungeon Editor! Create your own adventures and fill them with puzzles, traps, or even totally new items, monsters and environments with custom graphics and audio!

Get ready to venture forth and uncover the secrets of Nex!

Key Features:
  • Explore the wilderness and the dungeons of Isle of Nex: walk in ancient forests riddled with mysterious magical statues, fight the denizens of poison fuming swamps, dive in the Forgotten River in search of treasure, uncover secrets hidden deep below…
  • More than 20 hours of pure blooded dungeon crawling gameplay with grid-based movement and thousands of squares filled with hidden switches, pressure plates, secret doors, riddles, deadly traps and more.
  • Cast spells with runes, craft potions and bombs, fight murderous monsters with a large variety of melee-, ranged and thrown weapons, as well as firearms.
  • Create a party of four characters and customize them with 8 character classes, 5 races, and numerous skills and traits. Collect experience to hone their skills and discover improved equipment and magical artefacts.
  • 42 different kind of monsters including 30 new foes unique to Isle of Nex.
  • Play custom adventures created by others or make your own with Dungeon Editor.
  • More depth, variety and open ended exploration than in Legend of Grimrock 1. Enhanced AI, spell casting, puzzle mechanics and skill systems.
Legend of Grimrock 2 is now available on Steam and GOG for the price of $24, with a 10% discount until next week. First non-Kickstarter game I've D1P'd in a looong time.

Last edited by a moderator:

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
^ Brofist is why Grunker should not review it.

Why is Arx Fatalis not turn based? Derp derp derp derp.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
The combat in Grimrock isn't bad because it isn't turn-based, it's bad because it's bad. Luckily the rest of the game is damned fine.

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Game overload. My wishlist is bursting, my wallet is crying and I have no idea when I am supposed to play all these games. Halp.

But really, I actually didn't even want to buy LoG II since while I liked the original game the combat really got on my nerves after a while. But now when I look at the screens and the videos... I am hyped again, heh. And from what you read in the forums it seems like LoG 2 is a really good sequel :)

Gief lottery jackpot

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
i'll make sure to pirate it, then never install it and finally delete the iso after 10 months, just like i did with the first one

Paul_cz

Arcane
Never played the first one, but second one seems interesting since I like the outdoor exploration lot more than constant underground.
Still, I am knee deep in Wasteland 2, Alien Isolation and fucking Ryse, so I will have to pass for now.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
The game is good.

Edit: First glance:
- interesting new classes, nice skill system,
- somewhat open world(ish) approach to the game world,
- interesting puzzles, new enemies, treasure hunting (digging), secrets and so on,
- the game is quite polished (graphics, music, atmosphere)

Let me put this way, I wanted to check it out and I already spent 3h in it. Need to go to sleep.

Last edited:

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
It's good but the information provided in the manual is fucking terrible.

What are "light weapons" and "heavy weapons"? Do they mean one and two handed? What the fuck? Why can't I find this out anywhere?

toro

Arcane
Vatnik

What are "light weapons" and "heavy weapons"? Do they mean one and two handed? What the fuck? Why can't I find this out anywhere?

Light weapons cannot be two handed: Knifes, Rapiers and so on. And I guess they weight less than heavy shit like: Axes, Hammers and so on.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

A weapon's description says what type it is.

Korron

Cipher
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I never finished the first one because it became a bit boring for me. I enjoyed my time with it, but now I'm hesitant to pre-order this one. At least the environments look a little more varied. I look forward to the glorious codexian commentary to help me in my purchasing decision.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I was somewhat unpleasantly surprised by spells having requirements from more than one skill - that somewhat changes my planned char build.

Game is solid fun and so far I did not have to dance that much (on normal) - of course, I am only on the second map and the wargs are getting kinda irritating.

Question: how plentiful is gun ammo later?

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I was somewhat unpleasantly surprised by spells having requirements from more than one skill - that somewhat changes my planned char build.

Game is solid fun and so far I did not have to dance that much (on normal) - of course, I am only on the second map and the wargs are getting kinda irritating.

Question: how plentiful is gun ammo later?

Protip: Fireball needs some basic air magic :)

I have a ratling alchemist using a gun, there is not enough ammo at early to use only a gun as main weapon. Maybe it'll change when I start to hit more often(so killing quickly) but for now I use it with throwing skill so save ammo.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom