Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Legend of Grimrock 2 Review at Rock Paper Shotgun

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Almost Human Games; Legend of Grimrock 2

For most of us, Legend of Grimrock 2 is coming out tomorrow. But the privileged doyens of gaming journalism have already had their hands on it for a while, and have begun publishing their reviews. Among them is Rock Paper Shotgun's John Walker, whose verdict is, well, see for yourself:

Legend Of Grimrock 2 is bigger, deeper and more wonderful than I could ever have expected. I absolutely loved the original, its descending dungeons of tile-based first-person RPG not just reminiscent of Dungeon Master, but as good as it. Grimrock 2, I say without hesitation, is better.

Much as Dungeon Master II took that series outside, so too does Grimrock 2, but here it’s not utterly impossible. It is, however, incredibly difficult. Superbly difficult. While I haven’t actually measured, this sequel is so huge I feel certain the original game would fit into one of its corners. With fifteen huge, individual sections, and another dozen or so smaller areas, each is intricately detailed and packed to bursting with puzzles, challenges, hidden switches, terrifying enemies, and so many secrets.

If you played Grimrock 1, or indeed any of the classic tile-based adventures of the 80s and 90s (DM, Captive, Eye Of The Beholder, etc), then you’ll be familiar with the mechanics. A party of four characters, created by you (or there are pre-mades if you’d prefer), marching together in a real-time 3D world, one square at a time. Your squad, two up (likely with melee skills) and two behind (firing projectile weapons, magic, and so on), explores, casts spells from runes, makes potions from ingredients, and fights an awful lot of enormous bads. Despite moving in only four directions around its enormous grid, combat (and everything else) is in real-time.

And good gracious, it’s done so well. I have adored this game. Spread across a large variety of landscapes, dungeons, and castles, it’s on a scale far beyond your expectations. In fact, every time I became convinced I’d seen every location it was going to offer, I’d stumble on another vast, three-storey place, and have yet another few hours of wonderful treats.

At first, things are extremely daunting. Your party, imprisoned in a cage, washes up on an island after a shipwreck. The beach is filled with monstrous killer turtles (no, really), meaning you have to scramble for puny weapons like sticks and rocks to desperately fend them off, while instantly being introduced to the far greater complexity of the puzzles this time out. As you uncover the many secrets of this sprawling beach area, the size of things already begins to feel a little overwhelming – three or four different directions opening up immediately, each of them containing elements necessary to successful get through the others. And then, that done, you find a massive wooded area filled with furious trees, itself leading to multiple dungeons, a land threaded by rivers, a gloomy bog, and more and more. And each is limited by what you’ve done so far, passages closed off by gates, warping teleporters impeding progress, enemies that seem far too powerful, notes alluding to puzzles you’ve yet to discover, peculiar glowing-eyed stone figures giving you esoteric statements that could be myth or clues… And then you find a note from the creepy, crazy island owner, laughing at your inevitable struggle, warning you to maybe head somewhere else if tough’s too tricky.

[...] Everything in this sequel is bigger, more elaborate, more detailed, and absolutely better. Which, after such a lovely first game, is quite the thing. You will be able to sink days and days into this, and still come away with secrets undiscovered, doors unopened. And I think a real respect for a game that is not only itself phenomenally smart, but one that thinks you are too. It’s a joy, so splendidly crafted, so stuffed with original ideas and surprises. This isn’t nostalgia any more – it’s a massive step forward.​

Well then, that sounds good. Those of you who are concerned with the so-called "combat mambo" might also find this comment interesting. Hopefully we can deliver our own review of Grimrock 2 sooner than later.

Eyeball

Arcane
.....so you still have to click the weapon icons manually to use weapons.

FTFY, Grimrock 2.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Sounds promising, but I will be waiting for The Codex review before I change my mind and take interest in the game.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Sounds promising, but I will be waiting for The Codex review before I change my mind and take interest in the game.

A review will not really say much. It depends on what you are expecting. You may or may not like such elements the game offers.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
A review will not really say much. It depends on what you are expecting. You may or may not like such elements the game offers.
Why not? I liked much of the original game, but it had its shortcomings. The review should tell me if they were addressed. The biggest issue for me (dungeon crawling and dungeon crawling only) has been dealt with 'out of the box', and while I would prefer turn-based combat, because that is how I like my blobbers, real-time will not be a deal-breaker, if the rest is good.

Achiman

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
The best thing about Grimrock for me was the puzzles and attention to detail in the environments. The game rewarded you for paying attention with better items and more detail revealed through secret areas, notes and journals etc.
I want to finish WL2 and try MMX before any new RPGs though.
The review does make me want to pony up 20 bucks though, existing pile of games be damned!

Thane Solus

Arcane
I look at these LP's and can't help thinking it's looks banal compared to MMX. And MMX wasn't even that good to begin with.

yeah, and no TBS :(, but the color palette is better imho, instead of lol colors in MMX... also better spacing of the environment and height. I really hate that this one is not TBS...

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I look at these LP's and can't help thinking it's looks banal compared to MMX. And MMX wasn't even that good to begin with.

I'm not a Grimrock hater, but the sad thing is that this game will receive 9/10s across the board because INDIE, while the turn-based MMX was ignored as corporate shovelware

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
while the turn-based MMX was ignored as corporate shovelware

Maybe MMX's subpar optimization and loading times had something to do with it as well.
It got fair reviews in most places.

In any case, I'm hype for Grimrock 2. For the first game, I was hoping I'd get Ultima Underworld's sense of "Open world", even in a dungeon. UU almost felt like a first-person Metroidvania to me.
Back before the game came out, I questioned the devs in the devlog if that's how Grimrock 1 was gonna be. They said they were gonna keep it more linear to keep it simple for the beginning, but might improve that in the sequel.
From the reviews that came out so far, it appears that's exactly what they did, so I'm super excited. :)

Servo

Arcane
Pretty cool. That Jack Dandy sucks at writing though. "tough’s too tricky"??

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
Dexterity increases missile and "some" melee weapon damage.

Dagger damage increase from STR or Dex?

vealck

Novice
Just received my preorder. Waiting for some free time to play it. Even if it's not one bit better than the first one, it will still be worth the money.
I think that MMX was quite good too, but horribly optimized and generally too colorful at times. Grimrock 1 was better in terms of general climate and more challenging puzzles. Hope that its strong sides are not lost due to introduction of open spaces.

piydek

Cipher
Regarding game's locations macro-structure, comments in the cited review reminded me of Anvil of Dawn. Which is a great thing.

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
No need to answer question about Dex or STR to damage.

Made "test run" - luckily dagger was not far.

I wonder why 1) no reviewers mention it 2) manual dont mention it.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor

yeah, and no TBS :(, but the color palette is better imho, instead of lol colors in MMX... also better spacing of the environment and height. I really hate that this one is not TBS...
And I really hate that you make phone games, now STFU about turn based in mah Grimrock.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom