Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview TC: That Which Sleeps Kickstarter interview

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
Tags: King Dinosaur Games; Tacticular Cancer Interview; That Which Sleeps

2025.png

The Kickstarter for That Which Sleeps has been active for two weeks now and they've managed to gain quite a bit of exposure for their Lovecraftian god game including on our own forum. We decided to ask King Dinosaur Games a few questions about their game and the Kickstarter.

Thank you for taking the time to answer our questions. For our readers who aren't familiar with That Which Sleeps, could you please tell us a little about it?
That Which Sleeps is a turn based strategy game where the player takes on the role of an immensely powerful evil figure from the world's past who has been sealed away for so long that your name has been forgotten. You begin the game in a weakened state, vulnerable to the heroes and nations of the world who would crush you if they suspected your return. This leads you to recruiting a variety of unique Agents who you send throughout the world, gathering unwitting allies while also sowing chaos to prepare the way for your return. As this shadow war unfolds you will also find yourself making use of conventional warfare with a robust military system that may see you waging bloody wars of attrition or leveraging elite units to cut enemy armies out of supply.

The most interesting part of the game is the living world itself. The nations, leaders, and heroes of the world pursue their own particular agendas, often to your benefit. Expect kingdoms to feud with their neighbors, orc tribes to raid fertile lands, and foreign powers to launch devastating wars of conquest - all without your interference. Of course, many of the heroes of the world will seek to end the threat of hostile creatures and bring peace to warring nations. Distracting, defeating, or corrupting them will make your job much easier. Don't take too strong a stance however, each challenge you undertake will leave clues that heroes can investigate to lead them to the truth of your return.

Read the full article: TC: That Which Sleeps Kickstarter interview

Pike

Novice
Its funny how many games out there cite King of Dragon Pass as an influence yet we still can't get another KoDP. Always works on me though.

This one looks great by the way.

KingDinosaurGames

King Dinosaur Games
Patron
Developer
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Its funny how many games out there cite King of Dragon Pass as an influence yet we still can't get another KoDP. Always works on me though.

This one looks great by the way.

King of Dragon Pass innovated very successfully on many levels from mechanics to narrative to world building, I think it's very intimidating to try and repeat that process for a developer. I also think there's some kind of psychic voodoo copyright protection going on there because every time we were prototyping towards a more King of Dragon Pass experience we would inevitably get deflected onto a different idea.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Been reading about this one on the forum, in the comments and now here. And I'm absolutely loving what I hear. Thematically but also the influences you name. Really looking forward to this.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
This game sounds cool.

But given the subject matter I'm a little disappointed not to hear The Black Company and/or Myth as an inspiration.

KingDinosaurGames

King Dinosaur Games
Patron
Developer
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
This game sounds cool.

But given the subject matter I'm a little disappointed not to hear The Black Company and/or Myth as an inspiration.

The Black Company is a major inspiration for almost everything I've ever done, in fact the first ever comment on this game was on IndieDB referencing The Black Company. While the overarching world and the Old One's draw inspiration from other sources, many of the Agents (especially the higher tier) are inspired by the Taken.

Myth didn't really occur to me honestly, though it's bleak theme is itself reminiscent of The Black Company.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Disappointment removed.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom