Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community RPG Codex Invades Steam

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: RPG Codex; Steam; Valve Corporation

Several months ago, the overlords of PC gaming over at Valve began allowing unprecedented numbers of new games on to their platform. Thus began a long debate over the issue of "discoverability", and many developers expressed a fear that their games would drown in the endless torrent of shovelware. Earlier this week, Valve finally issued their response to this concern, in the form of a massive new update to the Steam client. The update consists of an overhaul to the Steam front page user interface, which has received several new discoverability features.

Among these features is the new concept of "Steam Curators", which is actually an expansion of the long-existing Steam group functionality. Groups may now recommend (or "curate") games with a short description and review link, while Steam users can follow their curation feeds. The curated games appear on the users' front pages, thus allowing them to potentially discover good games lost in the chaos of Steam's endless new releases and bargain bin sales.

Upon learning this, several Codexers, including myself, immediately realized the potential for Glorious Codexia to plant her flag in yet another tract of digital soil. A couple of days later (and after a frustrated attempt to take over an existing unofficial RPG Codex group), the official RPG Codex Steam group was born.

Right now, our group already has over 200 members and its curation feed has over 900 followers (leaving the RPGWatch group in the dust, naturally). It's also the most popular result by far when searching for "RPG" in the Steam Curators section. We've appointed some of the Codex's finest to curation duty, and have already recommended 46 suitably Codexian RPGs. Things are looking good.

So why am I posting this? First of all, if you haven't heard of all of this and haven't joined/followed the group yet, please feel free to do so. It's a hell of a lot better than letting Total Biscuit or Valve's dumb suggestion algorithm decide what games should appear on your Store page.

Second, while our curators have done a great job thus far, there are some games that they just aren't familiar enough with, and we'd like to have meaningful descriptions in our feed, as opposed to endorsing games blindly. Not to mention, condensing a "review" of a game into the 152 characters that Steam allows can be fairly challenging!

So, while curation privileges will remain exclusive to a small group of users for the foreseeable future, we are open to submissions of new descriptions. In particular, the following games are in need of an endorsement:

Realms of Arkania 1+3
Wasteland 1
Wizardry 6
Geneforge 2-5
Avernum: Escape from the Pit
Avernum 4-6
Furthermore, if you see a recommendation in our feed that you feel isn't sufficiently descriptive and think you can do better, feel free to suggest a replacement. If it's good enough, we'll take it.

That is all - you may now start complaining.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Realms of Arkania 1+3
Wasteland 1
Wizardry 6
Geneforge 2-5
Avernum 1-6​
Hardly need in-depth knowledge to write a recommendation :D
I've put up Wasteland now, will look into the others (even tho I've only played WL, Wiz6, Geneforge, 1st RoA out of those games). Shouldn't be a prob.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
BTW, this group could also serve as an incentive for us to go back and do retrospective reviews of games that we didn't get to review when they were new. That includes not just old stuff, but also KOTOR2 which the Codex somehow never got around to reviewing(!)

Last edited:

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I'll do Wiz6. Nevermind, Zed added it already.

I can also do Geneforge 4, but I'd rather someone just did Geneforge 5 (as supposedly the pinnacle of C&C in the series). I don't think we need every Geneforge game on the list.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

Diablo169

Arcane
They have talked about removing Greenlight entirely i believe. Thats one of the reasons this functionality has been introduced.

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Jagged Alliance 2 is not an RPG.

3OLkML5.png

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Good work on adding all the Geneforges, guys.

Another possibility would be to add the Eschalon games, although I'm not sure they're really considered good enough.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I'll do Wiz6. Nevermind, Zed added it already.

I can also do Geneforge 4, but I'd rather someone just did Geneforge 5 (as supposedly the pinnacle of C&C in the series). I don't think we need every Geneforge game on the list.
Good work on adding all the Geneforges, guys.

Another possibility would be to add the Eschalon games, although I'm not sure they're really considered good enough.
I added Wiz 6 and all the Geneforges but feel free to edit them, and also feel free to add the Avernum games. Fucking Vogel games are all the same I don't know what to write.
(I also added Wasteland).
(and Nethergate: Resurrection).

Crooked Bee

Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Edited your descriptions a bit - I hope you're fine with that.

As for Avernum, I'd only suggest adding Avernum 6. Otherwise the first page of our curator list is going to be nothing but Vogel's games :M

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014

As for Avernum, I'd only suggest adding Avernum 6. Otherwise the first page of our curator list is going to be nothing but Vogel's games :M
yeah it's too bad you can't just add the "geneforge pack" as a recommendation.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

Haha, in retrospect, it would have been better if we'd spaced them out between other games. But I don't think we should avoid recommending games just because it'll be spammy.

There are still the Arkanias, so we can put a couple of Avernums between each of those, or just add them after the Avernums.

Last edited:

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Shadorwun: Hong Kong

Would be cool if Steam would allow us to rank these lists.

Crooked Bee

Patron
Yeah, like I said in another thread, I wish we could re-arrange the entries.

Alternatively, the display order could be randomized. This would help people discover more games, at least.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Crooked Bee Remember that the intended form of use for Steam Curation is not people browsing your list directly - it's getting recommendations on their front page, which ARE randomized to some extent, I believe.

Athelas

Arcane
Should be combined with an RPG Codex YouTube channel for maximum exposure. :M

Crooked Bee

Patron
Crooked Bee Remember that the intended form of use for Steam Curation is not people browsing your list directly - it's getting recommendations on their front page, which ARE randomized to some extent, I believe.

True, but a lot of people also browse/follow links to the list directly, in which case the first page makes the most important impression. Randomization or ability to re-order could help in these cases, at least.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Oh, another thing, Avernum 2 and 3 aren't actually on Steam yet, so it won't be quite that spammy.

They have talked about removing Greenlight entirely i believe. Thats one of the reasons this functionality has been introduced.

I don't think it serves the same function. Curators recommend games already on Steam (basically, they are your trusted reviewers), Greenlight is Valve asking you to vote on what should be released on Steam.

edit: they could work together with Curators pointing you to specific games undergoing greenlight process, though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom