Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review TC Retrospective Review: Sword of Aragon (1989)

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tags: Strategic Simulations Inc.; Sword of Aragon

Esteemed community member Deuce Traveler has played SSI's strategy game Sword of Aragon and is here to tell you all about it.

So, despite these disappointing final battles, do I still recommend the game? Emphatically, yes. Sword of Aragon is a linear enough affair that it is fairly obvious to the player which problems need to be be tackled first, yet with enough randomness in how events unfold to ensure replay value. It has enough flexibility to allow you to play as a benevolent ruler or as a terrible tyrant. The quests are varied enough to be interesting, with choices and consequences that must be taken seriously. Sword of Aragon is an experience like no other, and since there don't appear to be any Kickstarters or indie developers intent on reviving it, the only way you are going to be able to experience it yourself is if you suppress your prejudices against older games with primitive UIs and limited graphics and sound, and download it today from your favorite abandonware site.​

Read the full article: TC Retrospective Review: Sword of Aragon (1989)

sser

Arcane
Developer
Great article. Never played the game before but have read a lot about it. Definitely an ambitious title for the time and arguably moreso than what comes out these days. My takeaway from this is that the genre hasn't gained much distance from its (digital) foundations - a lot of those game mechanics still hold true and some others, even good ones, have largely been avoided for the sake of some streamlining. I bet a cheap recreation/facelift of this game would actually sell well today, given the uptick in interest for the genre and 'oldies' alike, nevermind the resurgence of Lord of the Rings, whose popularity has largely squandered the grand strategy themes it contains for action RPGs and Assassin's Creed knockoffs.

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Great article. Never played the game before but have read a lot about it. Definitely an ambitious title for the time and arguably moreso than what comes out these days. My takeaway from this is that the genre hasn't gained much distance from its (digital) foundations - a lot of those game mechanics still hold true and some others, even good ones, have largely been avoided for the sake of some streamlining. I bet a cheap recreation/facelift of this game would actually sell well today, given the uptick in interest for the genre and 'oldies' alike, nevermind the resurgence of Lord of the Rings, whose popularity has largely squandered the grand strategy themes it contains for action RPGs and Assassin's Creed knockoffs.

I agree that a facelift of this game would do well enough, and I can see some user interface tweaks also going a long way. Really, I can see a small indie team putting a remake or spiritual successor together and doing well selling it. Now if only we could find someone to buy off on the idea and put in the time. Oh, and thanks for the kind words. Glad you liked the review.

:bro:

Monstrous Bat

Cipher
I couldn't help feeling that the first half of the article felt like more of a strategy guide than a review. Or maybe that's the correct way to write reviews? :M

Have you tried War of the Lance? Another SSI strategy game which supposedly paved the way for Sword of Aragon. I've never played it myself, but mondblut loved it so it can't be all bad. And you seem like a Dragonlance nerd so you might like it better.

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Monstrous Bat , That's a decent critique of the review, but I felt I needed to get deeper into talking about how the game plays out than I had in previous reviews since this game is much different from other genres in which gamers would be familiar.

I never did play War of the Lance, but I will look into it as I am indeed a Dragonlance nerd... or at least I really enjoyed the first couple of trilogies.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Great article on a great game. It's a shame that games with features and mechanics like this never made it into these days.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom