Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News TSI's project revealed to be adaptation of Seven Dragon Saga, a sci-fi wuxia-inspired PnP RPG

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: David Shelley; Seven Dragon Saga; Tactical Simulations Interactive

So, the Tactical Simulations Interactive countdown we reported about last week expired today. In its place, came...another countdown, this time 15 days long. Perhaps realizing that was a bit silly, the TSI folks quickly altered the countdown's website. There's still a countdown, but now something of the nature of the game that will be announced has been revealed there - a reference to something called Seven Dragon Saga. What is Seven Dragon Saga, you ask? Evidently, a pen-and-paper roleplaying game developed by the people behind TSI, an additional SSI veteran by the name of Keith Brors, and a non-SSI vet named Gil Colgate. The latter two also work for MMO developer Cryptic Studios, so I guess this is more of a hobby for them. But don't take my word for it, check out the game's website.

A blog post by David Shelley explains:

Seven Dragon Saga (SDS) is an unpublished paper and pencil fantasy RPG, which and I my friends have been developing for many years. I may a convert it to a single player computer game in the near future, so I thought I would talk about some of the choices we made and the reasoning behind them. I’m hoping the insight into our processes may help others who want to tweak their favorite system or even create their own.

My friends and I are all designers and engineers in the computer game industry, so we approached things from a technical perspective. The system is designed to model many of the cool effects seen in anime and wuxia (foreign martial arts) films. So the feeling is over-the-top fun, but still balanced to provide challenge and interest.
An additional post explains the system's design philosophy:

SDS falls squarely in the simulation category of RPGs, meaning that we have detailed rules covering most aspects of play. Considering our background as computer game designers and engineers, I suppose it isn’t surprising we came down on that side. We find narrative games, where rules are simpler and adjudicated by the GM at play time are fun, but they favor those who can talk best, or manipulate the GM best. Several of our core players are deliberative and structured rules help them get the best out of their characters.

Of course, we have to fight the temptation to create a new algorithm, or create rules which only a computer would keep track of. In a computer version we can have plenty of conditionals, and take into account more variables, but it drains the fun from tabletop play.

We once allowed players to build their attacks from a lot of components (armor piercing x2, extra damage, extra target, etc.), but the min-maxers stopped play to evaluate every situation, and the casual players stuck to the one technique they could remember working. Slow play, big advantage to the min-maxer. Now we allow a single Stunt to modify attacks during the turn. It adds a bit of color and flexibility, without confusing things. And in a computer version we can automate the selection process and give the player just a few attack styles for a given situation.​

You can view all of the system's rules and details on the website, including a brief overview of the campaign setting. Now, how all of this weirdness will come together in the form of a nostalgic Gold Box-like CRPG? That remains to be seen.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
There's bound to be disappointment from players who wanted a more traditional experience but I'm not sure they had much of a choice given the saturation of fantasy IPs in the market right now.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I vaguely recall reading about this P&P system some time ago, but I do not really remember much.
Anyway, wuxia setting alone would be good. Sci-fi wuxia has the potential for awesome, if they do it right. I will definitely be looking closely at this project.

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
Please please please get RZA to do the soundtrack. He sits around waiting for people to ask him to make soundtracks for martial arts films these days.

m_s0

Arcane
Wuxia sounds great. As long as it doesn't end up as a reskinned generic western fantasy setting, that is.
Please please please get RZA to do the soundtrack. He sits around waiting for people to ask him to make soundtracks for martial arts films these days.
Getting him on board wouldn't be a bad idea in terms of promoting the game alone. Probably won't happen.

Athelas

Arcane
Settng sounds very interest-

Prior to the Empire, there were Men (elves, dwarfs, humans, crossbreeds), Fae, Dragons, Monsters and Spirits
Nevermind.

oscar

Arcane
Is it just me or is that world background terribly written? Jade Empire sounded more creative than us.

The idea isn't awful per se but the prose sounded like the guy himself was bored to death with the setting.

Elfberserker

Liturgist
Wuxian genre would be certainly fresh breath of air in rpgs.
While normal fantasy races worries me, but there is something appealing playing as elf drunken master type character...Or Shaolin dwarf monk.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
So, card game or wuxia game, which is better and why?

At this point I'm just enjoying the drama.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
They can still save this by using something like the Goldbox engine.

Otherwise I'm nopeing the fuck out of this.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I get the bad feeling it's just 'hey we're SSI!' and the game won't really be anything like the old stuff.

m_s0

Arcane
Simulation category? Does it mean it's going to be realistic? Or at least cinematic?
I think they mean there's going to be a ton of rules for everything, unlike like those new narrative-based games.
Is it just me or is that world background terribly written? Jade Empire sounded more creative than us.

The idea isn't awful per se but the prose sounded like the guy himself was bored to death with the setting.
I couldn't get through it, but making descriptions like that interesting is damn near impossible so I'm not dismissing the setting just yet.
Wuxian genre would be certainly fresh breath of air in rpgs.
While normal fantasy races worries me, but there is something appealing playing as elf drunken master type character...Or Shaolin dwarf monk.
I didn't mind that sort of thing in Arcanum, Shadowrun was fine as well. We'll see.

There's at least a chance this won't be another generic fantasy setting and that's a good thing in my book.

How could anybody be so creative and though out such a cool setting as martial arts sci-fiction and then filled it some crappy elves and dwarfs? It's a clear compromise between people with a vision and heartless entrepreneurs.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
This is, well... disappointing. :cry: Not sure what I was expecting... well, maybe that's not entirely true as I was thinking more FR Gold Box than Asian Sci-Fi (with elves & dragons?! Doesn't Showdowrun do this already?). This just feels underwhelming and I have nobody to blame but myself for buying into my own wishful thinking. Those blog posts do nothing to get me excited. I mean, really, the first few glimpses into their new company and game are a countdown clock that counts down to another clock and a few blog posts that feel uninspired and devoid of any artwork or examples of this new world? Their roll-out seems to be misfiring on multiple levels and that is never a good sign, especially if their going the KS route.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
A few old fogeys saw Thorvalla and thought "We can totally make something as bad as that if not worse."

Overboard

Arcane
You seem awfully...perturbed...by this update, have you been rebuffed by some nubile asian recently perhaps? ;)

Wizfall

Cipher
Should have insisted on the kind of gameplay/experience they intend to provide rather than the setting which is not that important.
Hard to get excited by a setting (and this one even less), especially since everyone who are susceptible to be interested by a spiritual successor of SSI had only one question in mind : would it be a Goldbox or a strategic/boardgame type of game.
And it seems to be neither.
I hope it will be fix camera isometirc or even top down view and 2D, otherwise...

Dorateen

Arcane
I'm getting a classic Might & Magic/latter Wizardry vibe from the information outlined in the blog posts. Traditional fantasy, with sci-fi elements in the background. And some Asian flare, as if there weren't ninjas and samurai in the aforementioned titles. The weapons that are sci-fi in nature are referred to as "Lostech", implying a previous advanced age. Among the classes listed are Knight, Wizard, Healer, Scout, Archer, Pitfighter, Wraith-hunter (Awesome). I'd feel right at home, it's like a home-brew D&D setting.

And again, the traditional races of Dwarf and Elf, mixed in with more exotics, which was another feature of Wizardry.

The other thing to keep in mind, the SDS system was designed to work with a variety of settings including modern. It seems the default one that Shelley devoted time to is about the Empire, Fae and Dragons.

Also, TSI has not announced anything with regard to the cRPG. This is a pen and paper blog set up by one of the developers that was only discovered because they dropped the Seven Dragon Saga name on their website, and it comes up through a google search. Much of the content is still locked behind password protection as requested by their business partner.

As to all the sky is falling nonsense,

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom