Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Pillars of Eternity Gameplay Video, Previews and Interviews

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tags: Brandon Adler; J.E. Sawyer; Obsidian Entertainment; Pillars of Eternity

Today's the day that marks the release of gameplay videos as well as a bunch of interviews and previews for Obsidian's upcoming real-time-with-elves RPG Pillars of Eternity. Here's the Giantbomb video for your viewing pleasure:

There's also this video from IGN or the one from Dealspwn, but the quality is pretty awful in the latter.

As far as previews are concerned, Gamespot asks the burning question about the thin line between homage and carbon copy:

As I watched Obsidian play Pillars of Eternity, it was hard not to shake the concern that stayed with me throughout the demo: that this was not a game standing on the shoulders of giants, but one relying on slavish devotion. It didn't help that I had just played the excellent Divinity: Original Sin earlier that day, an RPG that uses its inspirations as a springboard rather than as a mold, and in the process establishes an identity that makes it an important step in RPG evolution. Divinity uses old mechanics to say something new. Does Pillars of Eternity use old mechanics to say something old? And if so, is that necessarily a bad thing? [...] The game's title appeared on screen, leaving me to wonder if Pillars of Eternity will refresh role-playing traditions or simply replicate them--and whether pure replication is anything to scoff at, given the legacy of Baldur's Gate and its ilk. Nevertheless, I have faith not just in the strength of the Infinity Engine template, but in Obsidian's ability to use that template to craft a journey worth taking.​

IGN, in the meantime, believes that Pillars of Eternity "seems to push all the right RPG buttons", with Strategy Informer dwelling a bit more on the character creation and Digital Spy quoting Sawyer on Obsidian's goals with the beta:

"We decided very early on we won't use the critical path for this," project lead Josh Sawyer told Digital Spy. "It's not going to have any of the story companions, because that's a big part of the story for people, is meeting those companions and experimenting with them.

"It's mostly for people to get a feel of just how the game plays overall, goofing around with the classes, the mechanics, combat, journals - it's up to them to try and play and mess around with it and see what doesn't really work, or if we aren't communicating things clearly."​

Then there's an interview with Sawyer at PC World, as well as another one at Rock Paper Shotgun.

Finally, PCGamesN runs an article about Obsidian hoping that Pillars of Eternity sales will fund its sequel without Kickstarter. “What I would like, and this is true of any independent developer, is for this title and the expansion to be successful enough that we don't have to go back to Kickstarter to make the sequel,” Sawyer told PCGamesN. Well, fingers crossed.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Races/classes/backgrounds need to have whatever mechanical bonuses/minuses listed. As an 'old skooler' those picturesque dialogue screens are just unneeded and will ruin my make beleive 'immersion' as they'll take me out of the game. They'll be alright but my opreferences is not to sue them as they add nothing that a simple normal on screen dialogue process would do. Character stat management looks boring as it seems caharacetrs will simply be all looking similar. Need more range. Otherwise, looks good.

Rake

Arcane
They will go on Kickstarter anyway to get more money.
With a different IP though. They want to use kickstarter to make free original IPs, while hoping the sequels become profitable to self fund.

Last edited:
Fuck. 1 minute ago I found this video and went to codex hoping to be the first to share it....
Beginning to watch it, hoping for the best!

hexer

This takes me back to my high school days! Feels good man

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Those models aren't that nice (during char gen).
Nice BG style opening scrolling text.

Haaa, Josh the green-sashed Barbarian. And he's swearing; makes him a lot more human to me, that Josh.

Edit: Oh God it's so Baldur's Gatey! But with the Obsidiany RP flavor text.
Edit2: It's so Baldur's Gatey in fact that it'll be terribly boring if they don't design the encounters well.

Last edited:
Graphic is beautiful. I am positively surprised by how many different skills check and options are in dialogues. I ve seen an instance with 9 options and 5 are frequent. Also I like how often those choices in frames with pictures are presented. Previously thought they were rarer. It looks like enemies are varied. I don't like equipment UI, it looks just unappealing to me.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I can give the UI a pass since it isn't final.

Huge potential for Darklands text adventure options in this game.

Edit: ToEE shout-out! <3 Josh

Last edited:

grotsnik

Arcane
Oh, most definitely rolling a squidhead.

...seriously, why does he have a squid on his head?

BobtheTree

Savant
As an 'old skooler' those picturesque dialogue screens are just unneeded and will ruin my make beleive 'immersion' as they'll take me out of the game.
You clearly haven't played Darklands. Probably too old-school for you.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Well, this is pretty fucking awesome. Really enjoying the look and feel of this. Love the little story vignettes.

And yeah, this artstyle is to me much more appealing than the cartoony look.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
This better not be the final version of the UI :what:

What's wrong with it?

I thought they are gonna go for a "block" like main screen interface like in the Infinity engine games, not these scattered elements all across the bottom of the screen which looks fugly IMO.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom