Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Risen 3: Titan Lords Available for Preorder on Steam

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tags: Piranha Bytes; Risen 3: Titan Lords

I don't know if (m)any of you care after the disappointment that was Risen 2, but Piranha Bytes' Risen 3 is now available for preorder on Steam. $49,99/49,99€ though, so beware. (I mean, D:OS is just forty.)

The world has been abandoned by its gods and is scarred from the rampage of the Titans. Humanity is struggling to regain strength and rally its forces. You, however, have more pressing concerns: your own life has been shattered and you must set off to reclaim what is lost amidst the darkness that is spreading throughout the world. Who knows, maybe you'll even save the world at the same time?

Three threads of destiny lie before you. Three ways to rise up against the Titans and regain your soul. Which path to take? The choice is yours.

Features
  • Freedom: Freely explore and take on quests at your leisure. Quests will have different ways to tackle them and different outcomes. You can play different parts of the game in whatever order you wish and shape your character individually.
  • Exploration: Discover quests and characters as you make your way through the diverse world of Risen 3 - Titan Lords. From quaint medieval-style towns to delving deep into the dank dark of mines, to the supernatural shadow world, there is a wealth of possibilities waiting to be explored. You will be able to traverse this world in a variety of ways, from swimming to climbing.
  • Enhanced combat: Featuring a revamped fighting system, with new animation systems in place that add nuance to the fights.
  • Magic is back! Crystal magic has returned, bringing with it devastating new combat abilities. Wield elements such as lightning, fire and ice to obliterate your foes, or make use of a multitude of additional magical skills to aid you in exploration - the choice is yours!
  • Guilds & factions: Choose to ally yourself with one of three distinct guilds, each offering unique skills, armouries and quests allowing you to approach your quest in very different ways. Discover additional factions that exist to bend the balance of political power in the world, each with their own agenda for you to uncover. Be careful which characters you trust – some might ally with you with the intent of fulfilling their own sinister plans.
The release day is August 12, 2014. Fingers crossed, of course, but I'm not holding my breath.

Athelas

Arcane
The world has been abandoned by its gods and is scarred from the rampage of the Titans. Humanity is struggling to regain strength and rally its forces. You, however, have more pressing concerns: your own life has been shattered and you must set off to reclaim what is lost amidst the darkness that is spreading throughout the world.
Freely explore and take on quests at your leisure.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Athelas

Arcane
I'm not angry, it's just dumb design. Either impose a time limit or similar mechanic or write something more coherent.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
While the marketing blurb is retarded, this is a weird thing to be angry about in a PB game. AFAIK time constraints were never a factor in any of their previous titles, despite the proclamations of doom by the NPCs.

The Ancient Evil (tm) was always biding its time, though. In Gothic 1 it's literally locked away in a basement, in Gothic 2 it's "waiting for some mysterious moment to strike" (tm), in Risen 1 it's on the other side of the globe, or something. Dunno about G3, didn't play that one longer than a few hours. Only Ri2en made it dumb with 'WHOA WE ARE ON THE EDGE OF EXTINCTION HERE (but please bring me five rat tails in the meantime)'.

buzz

Arcane
I'm not angry, it's just dumb design. Either impose a time limit or similar mechanic or write something more coherent.
Ehh fuck off, Frodo's journey in LotR took one year. As far as I can remember, even the slowest player and biggest larper can completely finish the entire content of a PB game in the in-game span of a few months. Pressing concerns doesn't necessarily mean OH YO GOTTA DO EET NAO OR YOU DIE IN 3 HOURS.

evdk

Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Ehh fuck off, Frodo's journey in LotR took one year. As far as I can remember, even the slowest player and biggest larper can completely finish the entire content of a PB game in the in-game span of a few months. Pressing concerns doesn't necessarily mean OH YO GOTTA DO EET NAO OR YOU DIE IN 3 HOURS.
FFS. In LotR Tolkien actually took care to show that shit was actually going down. Saruman pillaging Rohan, orcs pouring out of Minas Morgul and besieging Minas Tirith, people dying etc. Not "Frodo is on an epic quest to save the world, stopping every once in a while to stew some rabbit, while Sauron is playing DnD with Denethor over palantir".

TLDR you are a moron.

buzz

Arcane
Nobody will ever do urgency right because CRPG designers suck
trebor.GIF

buzz

Arcane
FFS. In LotR Tolkien actually took care to show that shit was actually going down. Saruman pillaging Rohan, orcs pouring out of Minas Morgul and besieging Minas Tirith, people dying etc.
But that doesn't have anything to do with Frodo. What Frodo did in that time was dick around with Tom Bombadil. Rohan and Gondor getting pillaged and sieged did jack shit for Frodo's quest.

Of course, my example isn't completely fair (for one thing, Frodo has to travel a shit-ton whereas most PB games minus G3 happen in relatively small places). But my point stands, urgency doesn't necessarily implies a small time-frame. If the world is gonna end, that could happen in days or it could happen in years. Just because it might happen at some point doesn't mean the character should not train more or find better equipment or hunt for food in the meantime.

Like Roxor said, it's better to just put the "main plot urgency" during the mid game or right at the end, when the players know everything by heart and will mostly just teleport from one significant place to the other. But adding a time limit in a genre where taking your time and being careful is considered a good trait is just obnoxious.

Athelas

Arcane
What part of 'or write something more coherent' don't you understand?

buzz

Arcane
Fail to see what is incoherent about their description:
You, however, have more pressing concerns: your own life has been shattered and you must set off to reclaim what is lost amidst the darkness that is spreading throughout the world. Who knows, maybe you'll even save the world at the same time?
How does that have to do with freely exploring and taking quests at their own leisure?

This isn't like one of those Batman games, where everything happens in one night. Nor is it Oblivion where the ebil gates are all over the place and you don't give a fuck, just exploring and shit. The threat is almost always looming over your PC.
In the Gothic games, your hero basically walks around the main camps for a couple of days, gets himself some connections and friends, rapidly sides with one of the factions, quickly rises through ranks and saves the day. The Nameless Hero can turn from a convict into a fucking Paladin in a couple of months. That's still urgent. Not "dragons are at the doorstep; prepare in 5 min" urgent, but "dragons are pretty close and they plan to attack in some time, better get ready".

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
A strict time limit is the worst way to create urgency. It should be a system. For example, your RPG takes place during a war. You have some main quest like secure an alliance with prince dumbfuck. As you're working on that, your side in the war is slowly losing. So border towns will be conquered, then more major towns, then eventually the capital and you lose. On your way to prince dumbfuck, you would have side missions that would extend the war. Convincing smaller groups to join your side. Maybe stealing intel. Stuff like that.

buzz

Arcane
I think that was the initial concept in Fallout for the supermutie invasion, right? Every town slowly invaded, buying water from the Water Merchants means less time for you to save the vault from them afterwards.

evdk

Patron
A strict time limit is the worst way to create urgency. It should be a system. For example, your RPG takes place during a war. You have some main quest like secure an alliance with prince dumbfuck. As you're working on that, your side in the war is slowly losing. So border towns will be conquered, then more major towns, then eventually the capital and you lose. On your way to prince dumbfuck, you would have side missions that would extend the war. Convincing smaller groups to join your side. Maybe stealing intel. Stuff like that.
Yeah, but that takes manhours that could be better invested in allowing you to romance prince dumbfuck.

I think that was the initial concept in Fallout for the supermutie invasion, right? Every town slowly invaded, buying water from the Water Merchants means less time for you to save the vault from them afterwards.
yeah

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
If by initial concept you mean the version of the game that original shipped ;)

Fallout still had a strict timeline on when you'd lose because of mutant invasion though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom