Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Underrail Dev Log #32: The Core City

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Stygian Software; Underrail

In the latest update on the Underrail dev blog, Styg formally introduces Core City, the game's largest settlement, which will be added to the game in its next update. Check it out:

Hey guys. We've been quiet lately, but that's only because we've been working hard on the biggest and the most difficult section of the game, center of the game world, the metropolis that is Core City.

The Core City is the place of extremes. On one hand we have the oligarch families and their associates who live lives of luxury (or at least what can be considered such in the world of Underrail) while on the other hand the slums are filled with the poor that perish daily from hunger, disease and gang fighting.

The masters of Core City know how to keep the masses complacent though. What started as place for gangs to settle their disputes has grown to become the most popular form of entertainment in the city and the whole of Underrail. We're talking about the Arena, the Roman style field of combat where they pit men against various deadly creatures as well as gladiator against gladiator. All for the viewing pleasure of the numerous Arena fans. Watching people die violently is the favorite pastime for the oppressed masses of Core City.

People from all over the Underrail pay for the privilege to watch direct broadcasts of these fights as well as take trips to Core City to watch the matches live, if they can manage to get hold of tickets which are always sold out quickly. The Arena and the its betting office have made the oligarch families rich.

Players will, of course, be given an opportunity to test themselves in the Arena and see if they have what it takes to climb all the way to the top and claim the title of Invictus.

Beyond that they will also have an opportunity to enter the Gauntlet, and new blood sport where the contenders race through series of rooms, each containing a unique challenge, to be the first to reach the finish line and claim the prize, or die trying.

This update will be taking us a bit longer than we expected, but in many ways this is the hardest section to develop. It encompasses more intractable NPCs than any other update, way more urban areas than any other city so far as well as multiple quest-lines. All this stuffs had us stretched a bit thin, but if we get this part of the game right it should be more or less smooth sailing to completion.
Rail of Decadence!

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
Immabout to say something I'll probably never say about this game again: Oh god, thank fuck this isn't an update!

If there's one thing which could stop me from continuing D:OS it would have been that!

Drowed

Arcane
Great. I didn't even finish D:OS and now you're making me remember that I still don't have Underrail. Styg bringing incline as always.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
It's nice to see that Styg's team was able to emulate his style so effectively. Also, details like the graffiti, trash and broken tiles really help flesh out the city.

Achiman

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
This game just looks better and better. Some screenshots make you want to explore and investigate the game world, so many screenshots from this and previous updates make me want to dive in. Been pretty hard resisting playing the early builds.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
What's the writing and gameplay like?

Writing has been improving greatly over last couple updates. Reminiscent of Fallout, I suppose. Gameplay has very well done tb combat, some pretty original skills, great quests, really great exploration, the best crafting system I've ever seen.

cpmartins

Cipher
Damn, I bought this on desura a long time ago. Great game, a tad short when I played it. I think I'm going to wait for the full release until my next playthrough. One of the most atmospheric iso rpgs out there.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
I've learnt how to enjoy getting the inside scoop on development of some great games without spoiling the awesome day1 experience by dabbling before completion. Underrail for me is aging like single malt scotch. When the day comes it's going to be oh so good.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Underrail for me is aging like single malt scotch.
Precisely. This is what I expected from Kickstarter - being able to watch the aging process, to see ideas and concepts slowly taking shape before our eyes, the world being fleshed out, mechanics improving and evolving, and the game gaining the most precious fucking commodity - depth.

Out of all games in development, Underrail was the only that delivered in this area.

Makagulfazel

Educated
10 bucks now. And hey, the "alpha" will provide you with more hours of enjoyment than most complete games. Not sayin' BUY IT, just saying.

I'm told that sometimes I click an imaginary mouse while I'm sleeping; probably dreaming about this game.

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Precisely. This is what I expected from Kickstarter - being able to watch the aging process, to see ideas and concepts slowly taking shape before our eyes, the world being fleshed out, mechanics improving and evolving, and the game gaining the most precious fucking commodity - depth.
Wow, I haven't thought about it, but it's true, because most of the (major, AAA) games development processes are out of sight and we can mostly judge by screenshots and trailers appearing on the final stages of development, but with all these KS updates I can feel involved and I can look closely at almost every aspect of upcoming game.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
Wow, I haven't thought about it, but it's true, because most of the (major, AAA) games development processes are out of sight and we can mostly judge by screenshots and trailers appearing on the final stages of development, but with all these KS updates I can feel involved and I can look closely at almost every aspect of upcoming game.

Of course, you need the right team to deliver the goods. Plenty will fuck their opportunity up in public fashion.

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Of course, you need the right team to deliver the goods. Plenty will fuck their opportunity up in public fashion.
All of the KS games I pledged and EA games I've bought give enough food for thought and useful info, so probably I supported all the right teams.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
If you're judging from the demo you're missing about a year or more of development (Christ, how long has it been?) and a fuck of a lot of content and mechanics. Don't be that guy.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Heh, and a TES fan? Why won't you purchase the game?
It's because it doesn't say it's a final version, like Bethesda always says?

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Underrail defense squad to the rescue

11153.jpg

:yeah:

Puns.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom