Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Divinity: Original Sin editor to be released on June 26th

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Divinity: Original Sin; Larian Studios

Larian sent out a press release today that announced the imminent release of the editor for Divinity: Original Sin, which has been dubbed the Divinity Engine Toolkit. I guess this is the surprise they were talking about. From MCV:

Larian Studios announced today that the editor for Divinity: Original Sin, will be available as part of the Early Access beta on June 26th.

Not only is the Divinity: Original Sin editor the first multiplayer game editor since Neverwinter Nights, it comes with a sample module called Cow Simulator 2014.

Cow Simulator 2014 is perhaps the finest cow simulation ever released. It serves as an example mod for would-be creators and permits users to play as a cow (even in co-op with up to 4 players) and complete a quest or fight in the arena.

The Divinity Engine Toolkit allows players to:
  • Make new adventures that you can play in singleplayer or multiplayer
  • You can modify the main campaign or create your own
  • Manipulate terrain and edit existing models and textures
  • Write your own stories and dialogs
  • Create behaviors and scripts with easy-to-use scripting language
  • Alter existing or add new skills, stats and spells
  • 1-click export to Steam Workshop
  • Add and manage your mods via Steam Workshop or inside the game
Modders looking for lessons need only tune into Twitch today starting at 18:00 CET where Larian artists will be using the editor to mod Cow Simulator 2014 into an epic mod worthy of the cow simulation crown.
That's right, Cow Simulator 2014! Because stupid memes deserve to be exploited for a good cause. That Twitch modding lesson has apparently been postponed until the date of the editor's release, though. In the meantime, enjoy this pretty new "feature trailer" that Larian released today:

You can see a glimpse of the editor at the end.

Watser

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
And thus begins the age of co-op RPG remakes... :incline:

Oh boy...

I so wish there was this editor's (or heck, RPG Maker's) equivalent for first person Wizardry-like RPGs. Unity is such a pain to use for a programmer noob like me :P
I remember them saying that they'll be working on their engine to do first person games as well for the future, so maybe in time you might be in luck

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
And thus begins the age of co-op RPG remakes... :incline:

Oh boy...

I so wish there was this editor's (or heck, RPG Maker's) equivalent for first person Wizardry-like RPGs. Unity is such a pain to use for a programmer noob like me :P
I remember them saying that they'll be working on their engine to do first person games as well for the future, so maybe in time you might be in luck

I choose to disbelieve you! (Because that would be too good to be true.)

I just need a good editor with damage & chargen formulas and GUIs that I could tweak. Goddamn Unity's too advanced for someone like me!

Kem0sabe

Arcane
reverse-1237466918_cows.gif

Milking_cow.gif

Zeriel

Arcane
Finally, the promise of ToEE is fulfilled.

Also curious to see how far that example mod pushes the boundaries of the game. Wonder if that 'arena' thing means you can mod in actual player vs. player combat.

Now they just need PewDiePie to make a Cow Simulator 2014 video, and they're all set for the release.

Larian are more marketing savvy than people give them credit for. A trolly-as-fuck Cow Simulator example mod will give them more press than the entire rest of the game.

Zeriel

Arcane
Finally, the promise of ToEE is fulfilled.

What promise is that?

Good turn-based combat that isn't shackled by belonging to a dead franchise/dead company. When ToEE came out, the general consensus was that it was a great engine in search of an actual game (ToEE having very little content, and virtually no story). Imagine Baldur's Gate in the ToEE engine, for example. Now we have a similarly good combat engine, with an editor that looks as if it might be even better than NWN2's.

Nothing but good can come of this. Well, okay, lots of terrible, terrible things will come of this, and most mods will suck, but it'll be worth it for the half-dozen or so that are amazing.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I just need a good editor with damage & chargen formulas and GUIs that I could tweak. Goddamn Unity's too advanced for someone like me!
As champion of our RPG Maker contest, you might like this: http://www.celestialheavens.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=11239

fTVWNiE.jpg

Works quite well, I must say:

Thanks, I'll give this a look - but can it really allow me to implement a GURPS-like system with complex interdependencies between the stat/skill variables and complex point-buy stuffies, plus an explorable "world map" with several dungeons? Probably not :P

(I want too much, I know :P)

kazgar

Arcane
Tags: Divinity: Original Sin; Larian Studios

Cow Simulator 2014 is perhaps the finest cow simulation ever released. It serves as an example mod for would-be creators and permits users to play as a cow (even in co-op with up to 4 players) and complete a quest or fight in the arena.
You can see a glimpse of the editor at the end.

They missed the opportunity to call it cow-op! :argh:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom