Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Codex Interview Lionheart Interview with Ion Hardie

Mistress

Liturgist
Tags: Ion Hardie; Lionheart: Legacy of the Crusader; Reflexive Entertainment

Our interview with Ion Hardie of Reflexive Entertainment, Co-Producer and Lead Designer on Lionheart.

4. Combat in Lionheart is real time with pause. What influenced the decision to adopt this system rather than the turnbased combat of Fallout? What was the reasoning behind this move?

Ion Hardie: Feargus Urquhart from Black Isle had done a lot of early concept work in how the system could be modified to take into account the transition to real time and the inclusion of magic. He had been interested in trying it out, and we at Reflexive had plenty of experience working in real time. We were interested in trying out something new and the switch to real time, as well as the inclusion of magic, seemed like great ways to do that.​

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Spazmo said:
Ion Hardie said:
And now that we?ve added real time combat and magic, we think the system is even better than before!

*Cringe*

He has to be freaking kidding. Any time you take a turn based system and hammer it in to real time, you're going to lose things. Making a turn based system real time most certainly doesn't make it better, it only makes it more shallow.

ManglerII

Novice
Real-time SPECIAL rules....I guess no targeting. I'm sure if Fergus had thought of a way to impliment this he would have.....a long time ago.

I'll buy it....ONLY to support BI in the hopes they'll get to FO3 a little quicker. I've bought EVERY BI game for this one single reason....hoping BI wouldn't fold, leaving the FO"X" series to die in the Wastes forever.

Don't the Screens look a lot like Arcanum....or am I just imagining this.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
That's not the best reason since that encourages them to stick with making Infinity Engine style hack and slash games, which has been all they've put out since Torment.

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
ManglerII said:
Real-time SPECIAL rules....I guess no targeting. I'm sure if Fergus had thought of a way to impliment this he would have.....a long time ago.

I'll buy it....ONLY to support BI in the hopes they'll get to FO3 a little quicker. I've bought EVERY BI game for this one single reason....hoping BI wouldn't fold, leaving the FO"X" series to die in the Wastes forever.

Don't the Screens look a lot like Arcanum....or am I just imagining this.
There is a targeting ragdoll in the game, I think.
You pause the game, click where you want to hit, unpause and continue with combat.
But there will be no groin shot for some strange reason.Its gonna be very funny playing through game where nobody have balls. :D
Maybe somebody could modify it later if the game's any good.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom