Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News The original Fallout trilogy gets Bethesdized, re-released on Steam

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Bethesda Softworks; Fallout; Fallout 2; Fallout Tactics

It's been over half a year since Interplay's license to sell the original "Fallout trilogy" - Fallout, Fallout 2 and Fallout Tactics - expired. The games were removed from all digital distribution sites as soon as that happened, although Bethesda promised that they would eventually return to Steam (but not to GOG, god forbid). Well, today they've done that, just in time for the Steam Summer Sale. From the official Bethesda Blog:

Fallout Classics Return to Steam

Your favorite Fallout Classics are back. Fallout, Fallout 2, and Fallout Tactics are now available for purchase on Steam individually for $9.99 or in the Fallout Classics pack for $19.99.

Some details to note:
  • All three games have Steam Cloud enabled for save games.
  • Fallout 1 & Fallout 2 can be launched in either default or classic versions. Default allows for high resolutions and Classic is the original, unmodified release.
  • Fallout Tactics is unmodified. Multiplayer works with direct connect.
  • While Fallout 1 and Fallout 2 can run on Windows 8, Fallout Tactics is not Windows 8 compatible.
I've tried the new versions out myself, and from what I can tell the games appear to be unaltered other than the addition of Mash's well-known hi-res patches for Fallout 1 and Fallout 2, Sfall for Fallout 2, plus a Bethesda-style pre-launch splash screen menu and updated readmes for all three of them. The Interplay logo, "By Gamers, For Gamers", "Brian Fargo Presents", it's all still there. Not too bad, actually. Don't hold your breath for a GOG re-release, though.

karnak

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
Capitalism in our times has turned into some ridiculous shit of gigantic proportions of stupidity. :P

When I was a kid games magazines used to offer a disk, containing demos of upcoming games (PC, Amiga, etc).

Nowadays software houses put these demos on Steam, call them "early access" and people pay $ to play the said demos and do the beta-testing, performing the cores that were supposed to be done by the developpers themselves. :S

Smart move, heh?

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
Anybody who doesn't already own these should save their money and take their credit card, form it into a shiv, and stab themselves in the kidney.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
bnH8tnZ.png

Da fuck Bethesa did?

Ramireza

Savant
There was a Fallout 1 and 2?!

Is this F2P?

EDIT: ROFLOL 2D in 2014, wat a bat remahke!

TBH : Is this real? This shit looks like Excel to me.

Jigawatt

Arcane
Your favorite Fallout Classics
Just who the fuck is Bethesda supposed to be talking to? Fallout 3 fans who wouldn't touch 1 & 2 with a 10 foot pole, or people who already own the game and wouldn't give Beth one red cent after what they did to Fallout?

Who am I kidding, fucking idiots will buy them for Steam XP

ZagorTeNej

Arcane
your hard earned potato goes to Bethesda.
plus a Bethesda-style pre-launch splash screen menu.

:keepmyjewgold:

What's wrong with supporting Bethesda? After all, they've made Skyrim which is great for what it is (in vanilla state, it's orgasmic with mods). If you disagree and didn't spend atleast 100 hours on it you're a tryhard/newfag/edgy/hipster.

Anyway, fuck people who buy this.

Deleted member 7219

Screenshots of launcher please. I don't care that much because I have them on DVD from when Interplay were still alive and kicking, and I got the GOG versions too, but it would be interesting to see what Bethesda did.

Zdzisiu

Arcane

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom