Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Chris Avellone Interview Podcast at 8-Bit Radio

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Chris Avellone; Obsidian Entertainment

It looks like Chris Avellone is back to his podcasting ways, this time with a 35 minute interview for a show called "8-Bit Radio". It's a general interview that doesn't focus on any one game in particular. The most interesting part is the reveal that Chris is the Creative Lead of a game currently in development at Obsidian. He also reveals later on that they're currently developing three original IP games, and since we know he's not the Creative Lead for Pillars of Eternity or Armored Warfare, that means he must be working on the third, secret project.

Other highlights of the interview include:
  • A short discussion about Chris' roleplaying preferences and pet peeves. He's a GURPS man! Also, he wouldn't mind playing a tabletop game with Todd Howard, Tim Cain, Warren Spector and Ken Levine.
  • The usual talk about the IPs Chris would like to work with.
  • Some reminiscing about Van Buren and the factions in Fallout: New Vegas.
  • A list of content Chris wishes he had could have added to some of his past games if he had the time.
  • Some game design advice. Freedom of choice, thematic coherence, and making the player care.
  • Chris' favorite RPGs. Wasteland, Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy 6 (which he insists on calling "Final Fantasy 3") and Baldur's Gate 2. He also liked the first KOTOR, and thinks System Shock 2 could have been a great RPG if it had some more choices and interactions.
  • Chris' view of the decline of RPGs(!). He dislikes quest compasses, multiplatform development and excessive voice acting.
  • The usual talk about the advantages of Kickstarter.
It's a decent enough listen, although the hosts are a bit too dudebro-ish. Trigger warning: "Planescape Tournament" reference.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Urh.
They (dudebros) just won't shut up.

It's like listening to an interview with sounds from sitcoms.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
He dislikes quest compasses

And yet seems to need one when playing Arcanum :M

Oh yeah, he also mentioned his Arcanum LP in the interview. "I like making talky characters in games but then I got killed and that wasn't rewarding. But then it allowed me to recruit some party members so in the end it was okay."

The third project must be the AAA one.

Popamole incoming.

:troll:

Why do you suppose he said "We're making two games...no wait, actually three"? Which one did he forget to include at first, and why?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite

Popamole incoming.

If it's ~original IP~ I'm guessing it's the new Kickstarter project. They have nothing to gain from pitching original ideas to publishers who don't even like those because of the risk involved.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

Popamole incoming.

Why do you suppose he said "We're making two games...no wait, actually three"? Which one did he forget to include at first, and why?

I haven't actually listened to the interview full yet. When is the part in question?

Decline of Duraframe! 27:35

Which one did he forget to include at first

Armored Warfare of course.

, and why?

Embarrassment.

You're being awfully snarky lately, miss!

Last edited:

Duraframe300

Arcane

Popamole incoming.

I haven't actually listened to the interview full yet. When is the part in question?

Decline of Duraframe. 27:35

Ehhhhhhhh, I give much less of a shit normally than most of you might think.

GlutenBurger

Cipher
Oh yeah, he also mentioned his Arcanum LP in the interview. "I like making talky characters in games but then I got killed and that wasn't rewarding. But then it allowed me to recruit some party members so in the end it was okay."
But that was because he kept plunging into unnecessary combat. Games can't reward you for making mistakes. Plus, he can't talk because at the start of Planetscape Tournament, those Hive Thugs keep coming up and attacking you for no reason, forcing talky characters to waste time running around in silly circles while Morte nibbles on them.

Duraframe300

Arcane

Popamole incoming.

If it's ~original IP~ I'm guessing it's the new Kickstarter project. They have nothing to gain from pitching original ideas to publishers who don't even like those because of the risk involved.

Possible. In seriousness I don't have any info to make a judgement either way. The only reason why it might not be the Kickstarter is that that hasn't started yet and saying you are *working* on it before the Kickstarter actually is successfull might be something you would shy away from.

I'm fairly certain though that Chris is the Creative Lead on the AAA project.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Actually, now that I think of it, I think it's not that he forgot that there was a third game in development. He just didn't notice that it was also an "original IP".

It could be Armored Warfare I guess. It is technically original IP. :M

t

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Quit listening after "Planescape: Tournament" (6:18) Fuck man.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
But that was because he kept plunging into unnecessary combat. Games can't reward you for making mistakes. Plus, he can't talk because at the start of Planetscape Tournament, those Hive Thugs keep coming up and attacking you for no reason, forcing talky characters to waste time running around in silly circles while Morte nibbles on them.
The wolf fiasco was all on him.

However, when he got to Shrouded Hills, the gamekind of tricked him into making choices he wasn't ready to make yet. Also, he has an aversion to lying which caused him problems trying to play a talky character.

throwaway

Cipher
Don't think I've raged at an MCA interview this hard in quite a while.

Idiotic show members:
  • Same tired fucking questions which he has answered in like 6 other interviews.
  • Planescape fucking Tournament?!
  • Star Wars obsession which they didn't even back by asking more in depth questions regarding KOTOR2TSL.

MCA:
  • "Wanting" to play tabletop with Tim Cain who he practically currently works on the same project with.
  • Citing Final Fantasy 6 as one of the (3?) best RPGs ever created. That's the same game that features characters literally jumping up and down every single motherfucking time they are happy and includes more cringeworthy romance that the entire BSN would dare fit in a game.
:x

Also, does Creative Lead (on a project)= Guy in charge of the story?

Pantalones

Prospernaut
Pretty good interview once it actually started. An archer game though? eh.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom