Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Codex Interview RPG Codex Interview: Torment: Tides of Numenera

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Tags: Adam Heine; Colin McComb; George Ziets; InXile Entertainment; Jeremy Kopman; Torment: Tides of Numenera

11113.jpg

What was first meant to be a catch-up interview with George Ziets, now the Lead Area Designer for Torment: Tides of Numenera, turned into a much broader interview as we also managed to get a hold of a few other game designers as well. So, for this interview, George Ziets is joined by Creative Lead Colin McComb, Design Lead Adam Heine, and Crisis Designer Jeremy Kopman. Holy moley.

Here's a slice of it:

The original Torment as well as Mask of the Betrayer are known for their originality and weirdness – at least in comparison to other CRPGs. When talking about why Pillars of Eternity will incorporate dwarves, elves and other fantasy tropes, Josh Sawyer touched on the importance of player familiarity. What's your take on this? Do you think it could ever get too “unfamiliar”? Too abstract?

George Ziets
This is partly a matter of personal taste, but I place much less value upon familiarity in new settings. Audiences are a lot more flexible than we often think. To me, it’s more important that character motivations and emotions feel believable and identifiable, regardless of setting. If you create characters who feel and act in a believable way, have problems that players can identify with, and are likable, audiences will tolerate a lot of weirdness in setting details.

Presentation is also a major issue to consider in a new setting. If you try to throw a lot of unfamiliar setting details at a player in the first ten minutes of gameplay (or, worse, in a convoluted opening cinematic), you’re likely to lose your audience. If, on the other hand, you drop them into a world that is full of mysteries, and the player is learning about the new world as an integral part of gameplay and story, their unfamiliarity with the setting can actually be an asset – it encourages a sense of ongoing discovery that can help keep the player engaged throughout the game.

I think problems arise in new settings when characters are flat and boring, stories are clichéd, the audience isn’t emotionally invested in what’s happening, and the creators are relying upon the details of the setting itself to interest the audience. A lot of hard science fiction falls into this trap. Writers can become so focused on communicating the details of the setting that they fail at job #1, which is creating an engaging story.

Colin McComb
Josh is a really smart guy, and he’s right that many gamers place a great deal of value on familiarity so that they have touchstones on which to base their experience with a game. Using standard fantasy tropes is a great way to get people to ease into acceptance of the stranger aspects of the setting – for instance, the novel soul mechanics of Pillars of Eternity. This is the right decision for their game, which deliberately takes on some of the trappings of a magical, medieval setting. Given their vision and the experience they’re targeting, it would be a mistake for them to introduce too much abstract weirdness into the early part of the game.

Our vision was about something else altogether, and I think – I hope! – that we made our backers aware of just how weird and wonderful our setting is. Part of why we chose Numenera in the first place was because we want to deliver a setting that is intentionally strange and mysterious to our players, and one that will come to make coherent, internally consistent sense through the course of the game. We’ve said before that the game takes the player through the life of the Last Castoff, and we meant that. When the player enters the game, he or she will do it as an infant to the world. The world should be unfamiliar, just as it is to a newborn. The player will gain familiarity through experience.

That said, sure, a game could get too abstract or too weird. But I believe that if we create strong characters with believable motivations, realistic choices, and interesting situations, the strangeness of the setting becomes an inextricable part of the pleasure of the game.

Planescape: Torment had some very combat-oriented zones, particularly in the late game, while other parts of the game remained relatively combat-free. These combat zones could cause problems for socially invested characters. Is this something you're looking to address in Torment: Tides of Numenera?

Jeremy Kopman
Because the Crisis system leads us to build fewer but more expansive turn-based, tactical portions of the game, we don’t plan to have any areas densely populated with groups of mobs you are forced to fight. While all Crises present tactical challenges, some are more likely than others to lead to combat, and at times combat will be the most straightforward solution to the problem at hand. But even if the player finds him/herself in a spot where they have no choice but to fight, non-combat build options (Skills, Esoteries, Tricks of the Trade) will frequently offer a benefit. Players can attempt to converse with intelligent enemies, using their PC’s features to broker peace, frighten their opponents into losing morale, or simply distract them so their allies can gain the upper hand. In addition, many esoteries grant Fettles (the TTON term for status effects) that could weaken opponents’ resolve and leave them more susceptible to conversation options, disable them long enough to flee, or even charm them into helping the party. If your party is still in danger, exploration abilities and skills can be used to open paths to escape or inflict damage on the enemy without any attacks (as in the gantry example in the Crisis question above).

As we’ve stated before, we plan for it to be possible to complete TTON without engaging in combat at all. Players can finish or avoid every Crisis using social, stealth, and exploration abilities. Having said that, we haven’t promised that it will be easy. It will likely require very careful decision making and smart character build choices to complete the whole game without throwing a single punch/self-propelled energy projection device.​

You really ought to read all of it, like, right now.

Read the full article: RPG Codex Interview: Torment: Tides of Numenera

Repressed Homosexual
Are they modifying the dreadful Numegaya system to fit the game better? I sincerely cannot picture anyone building a license upon this piece of crap.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
(This is also the opportunity for me to mention that Thomas Beekers is trying his hand at some stuff, and he seems to be working out – don’t let that stop you from harassing him, though.)

Brother None
*harass* *harass* *harass*

Deleted member 7219

B) Do you see any risks associated with “too many writers” on a creative project? Too many cooks spoil the broth, as the saying goes.

Colin McComb
Of course! Fortunately, since I’m a complete ogre, I’ve managed to stampede over anyone’s objections to my masterful storytelling and have ruled the project with an iron fist.

CMcC

:cmcc:

Great interview - keep them coming. I hope Brian Mitsoda's duties on Dead State won't impact on his contributions to Torment, was also nice to hear about Tony Evans working on the project - he's a bro.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Soundtrack for your reading:

Also, I am most glad the game will have better mechanics than the pnp.

VioletShadow

Sensate
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Great interview. Love the unfamiliarity and mystery themes.
As we’ve stated before, we plan for it to be possible to complete TTON without engaging in combat at all. Players can finish or avoid every Crisis using social, stealth, and exploration abilities. Having said that, we haven’t promised that it will be easy. It will likely require very careful decision making and smart character build choices to complete the whole game without throwing a single punch/self-propelled energy projection device.
:yeah::dance:

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
One such possibility is a class of character abilities we’re calling Defensive Maneuvers. These are off-turn actions that the player can activate, spending Stat Pool points to set up triggered attacks, counters, and other reactions. The simplest of these function like an Attack of Opportunity (or the Overwatch/Ambush actions in XCOM/Wasteland 2). Others allow the PCs to counterspell esoteries, heal party members who fall below a threshold, or redirect an attack on an ally.
Excellent. Interrupts are a vastly underused mechanic.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Zed it should be Tiefling not Thiefling. Although a race of diminutive thieves sounds pretty cool.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
This is an awesome interview. I'm still unsure if TTON is a game for me, but the interview has gone a long way toward convincing me I should try it out when it comes out.

Great work Zed.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
No day/night cycle is bound to piss some people off. Take that, sim-scum. :smug:

Pat Rothfuss is writing a whole companion and an area, and his initial work has been excellent
Liiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiies

Brian Mitsoda is currently focused on Dead State, so we’re letting him slide a bit, but we have big plans later this year.
:lol: This has potential.

Hobz

Savant
Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Is Patrick Rothfuss supposed to be a good writer? I listened to most of the name of the wind and couldn't bring myself to finish it, which is quite rare. Did I just miss something?

tuluse

Arcane
Is Patrick Rothfuss supposed to be a good writer? I listened to most of the name of the wind and couldn't bring myself to finish it, which is quite rare. Did I just miss something?
No. The Name of the Wind is bad.

VioletShadow

Sensate
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Shadorwun: Hong Kong

Zeriel

Arcane
I haven't read Book 2 yet, but I did read The Name of the Wind and it was sort of average. With Torment is different though, I'm pretty sure he can't just write whatever he wants. He has to deal with the overlord right?
:cmcc:

That assumes they're actually editing. Who knows whether they're hands-on or hands-off with this shit, as even luminaries like Stephen King have complained about once you're successful it's very hard to find people who will legit critique you (on a professional level, obviously people on the internet will always mock you). We'll find out when we get the game, I guess.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I also read the Name of the Wind a while ago, just out of curiosity about Rothfuss.

It wasn't a great book, but I found its highly personal (almost to the point of solipsism) method of storytelling refreshingly different from the usual "kings, castles and armies" fantasy fare, and in that sense it was worth reading.

I'm not a super well-read person though, so perhaps there are other fantasy tales that do that better.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
God damn I would love a spy game/RPG set in the early revolutionary America period where you could choose the rebels or the Brits. Jesus someone make that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom