Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Information Kickstarter Round-up: Deadrock Divide, Children of War, Medieval Times, Witchmarsh

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tags: Children of War: Blood and Snow; Deadrock Divide; Indiegogo; Kickstarter; Medieval Times; Witchmarsh

It's been a while since we did a Kickstarter round-up, but there haven't really been many non-JRPGish RPGs to report about lately. This time, I'm bringing three Kickstarters and one IndieGoGo campaign to your attention - the first one is something the Codex might enjoy, the second one is something that I myself might enjoy, and the third Kickstarter is a co-op action RPG; not really my thing, but perhaps someone here might be interested? The IndieGoGo campaign is for an open world isometric fantasy action-RPG.

So, what was the last good turn-based RPG in space we had? Matrix Cubed? Planet's Edge? Oh my, weren't all of them released in, like, 1992?? That's why I'm pretty excited for the turn-based sandbox sci-fi tactical RPG Deadrock Divide. I'm just a wee bit wary of them using "random elements", but overall the concept looks great.

Fight, trade, and conquer in an 80’s inspired, sci-fi universe. A Sandbox RPG featuring turn-based tactical combat for PC/Mac/Linux.

You arrive to find the area teeming with miners, pirates, and corporations, all competing for control over valuable resources. Secure contracts and hire, equip, and command your squad of mercenaries to conquer the asteroid belt and become a legend of Deadrock Divide.
  • Fight in XCOM inspired turn-based tactical combat. Use lasers, turrets, grenades, and more to overcome your enemies. Destructible battlefields open the doors for huge variety in how you choose to fight it out.
  • Explore an asteroid field full of miners, pirates, heroes and villains.
  • Buy one of many ships, upgrade your ship with special rooms that change how the ship functions in both flight and tactical combat.
  • Upgrade your characters with new weapons, armor, belt buckles and more. Unlock the secrets of fantastic weapons, craft your own boots, or take the relic of a famous star fighter.
  • Choose one of three factions and help them conquer the region in their quest to control the flow of Deadrock.
  • Trade with the stations and denizens of the Divide. A complex economy is at work moving goods from mine to station. Build mines and make money by getting your hands dirty.
  • Build your characters how you want using a trait system. Characters unlock trait points you can spend how you want. Have heavy weapons soldier who can heal, a telekenetic pilot, a character with some abilities in many trees, and more.
  • Deadrock Divide is our take on tactical games by combining elements of sandbox RPG. It provides replayability with random elements that make each playthrough fresh, including beating the game with each of the three factions.

Next there's Witchmarsh, a (maybe too) pixel-arty sidescroller action RPG set in the 1920s Massachusetts. It kind of reminds me of that one sidescroller RPG I reviewed some time ago, Fortune Summoners, except not as moe. Aside from the pixel art style that will hopefully some day die in a fire, it also features dialogue trees, factions, and stats and skills influencing your combat abilities. Sounds pretty cool.

It's the Roaring Twenties! Join an unlikely team of detectives as they charge headlong into the darkest corners of rural America. Their mission: find and return the missing 'Witchmarsh Twelve' who vanished under mysterious circumstances.

11104_500.png

Each investigator has their own perks, traits, abilities and personality. There are a total of five ability schools and five attributes in Witchmarsh. How you combine these will determine your characters' playstyle, as well as the secrets and clues they will uncover.

Mix the craft attribute with fire and water and you'll unlock the power of elemental sorcery. Swap spirit for craft and your spellbook will take on ritualistic themes; drawing power from ancient forces and the marsh itself.​

Then there's Children of War, a single player/co-op "fantasy RPG with real-time combat system and heavy emphasis on exploration and discovery."

• Blood and Snow is a 3D isometric single player or cooperative Role Playing game. Although Blood and Snow is set in an open world there is a strong central story-line presented through quests. We focus on giving players lots of choices but unlike other games, we think it's important to make you choose between bad and worse instead of bad and good. The grey areas of life and the complexity of the human psyche are our focus and we want to drag you into the depths of moral conflict.
  • You will play as a Demigod who was charged in the past with guiding humanity in a world where humanity as a whole fears you.
  • There are no classes in Blood and Snow. Instead you will have access to a flattened ability tree which allows you to customize your play style and level individual abilities and spells as you see fit.
  • Your Demigod is completely customizable down to very minute detail as is your armor, weaponry and mount.
  • There will be a branching dialogue system in story quests which will allow you to shape the world as you play.

But that's not all! There's also a campaign for Medieval Times on IndieGoGo. Not as respectable as Kickstarter, I guess, but at least it's fixed funding! It also has day and night cycles, in contrast to a certain higher-profile RPG that ditched those some time ago.

An action adventure game developed in northern Sweden. Venture down dark forests paths and damp caves. Use your wits or fight your way to fame and fortune.

11106_500.png

• Puzzle and exploration
  • Real-time combat and movement.
  • Use, drop, push or pick up objects.
  • Unique inventory for each NPC. No random "loot system".
  • Interactive character dialogues with hand-drawn NPC portraits.
  • Simulation of time, day and night.
  • Dynamic shadow and lighting.
Medieval Times has been in development for several years by a one man team. The game’s core code is mostly completed. It is possible to run around, fight NPC, engage in dialogue etc. However some minor systems are still in need of implementation such as cut scene functionality.

The game is going to be episode based. The more money that is raised beyond the initial goal the more content there will be.​

So yeah, Deadrock Divide is this way, Witchmarsh is this way, Children of War is here, and Medieval Times is that way (uh-oh, not looking good). Be sure to share your insightful opinions in this thread.

Wizfall

Cipher
I have backed Deadrock Divide, feature wise the game is fantastic and i like the art style too :bounce:
Witchmarchs pixel art looks very nice but not my kind of game.

jdinatale

Cipher
Someone should tell Children of War that quoting Nietzche makes you look like a 2edgy4you teenager, especially that same quote everyone uses.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Pixel art looks so much better than ugly 3D.

That being said, none of these look interesting. I'm not going to take a chance on people with no proven record, yeah tough, but them's the breaks.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Starting a video off with "developed in Unity".... wtf?

What is that supposed to tell the audience?
"We're so indie we use the indie engine!"
"We don't know how to develop a game, but we know how to use Unity!"
"Developing games in Unity is faster, so we will be able to develop this game pretty fast!"
"We will not do anything outside of the comfort zone of Unity."

I don't get it.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Starting a video off with "developed in Unity".... wtf?

What is that supposed to tell the audience?
that they are using the free license which will put that logo at the beginning and actually used unity to make that vid?

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Well, in that case, I would have cut the logo from the video.
It just doesn't seem very professional. And yes, I think even indies have to be professional. Actually, anyone asking for money should appear professional.

This is no Unity bashing, btw. I would be irritated by showing off any engine logo as the first thing in a KS video.
The first impression is the most important one, and for me it was "We're using THIS engine. And now we'll tell you about our game...".

Jed

Cipher
Deadrock Divide looks interesting, though.
I'm tentatively excited about this one. Been wanting to play a game like this since ... Space Rangers 2, I guess.

And speaking as someone who grew up in the '80s, the theme song for that video totally grabs me by the nostalgias.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom