Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Pillars of Eternity Kickstarter Update #78: The Leaders of the Band: Chanters and Priests

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: J.E. Sawyer; Obsidian Entertainment; Pillars of Eternity

In this week's Pillars of Eternity Kickstarter update, Josh Sawyer introduces two more of the game's classes, the Chanter and the Priest. Almost incidentally, he also reveals the name of the Pillars of Eternity world - Eora. Here comes the excerpt:

Chanters are storytellers and repositories of ancient lore from myriad cultural traditions. They use these stories and legends to stir the memories of the dreaming lost souls and soul fragments that surround them. The spirits respond by creating magical effects, essentially playing their part in the recreation of the legends. In this way, chanters act as directors of supernatural actors playing out momentary plays for the chanter's benefit. Due to their heavy focus on folktales and storytelling, they have an inherent bonus to Lore. As explorers of many lost and forgotten vaults dating back to Eora's antiquity, chanters also have a bonus to Mechanics, helping them bypass tricky locks and traps.

To use their special kind of magic, chanters link together individual short phrases from different legends to create longer chants. The phrases have distinctive, thematically-appropriate effects that are of low power but can be applied while the chanter is engaged in other combat activities. As one phrase ends and another begins, the effects of the first phrase will linger, allowing multiple phrases to overlap with each other. Through the clever overlapping of phrases, chanters can grant their allies a sizable stack of minor bonuses.

But chanters aren't entirely about their passive phrases and chants. With each phrase that passes, chanters gain greater control over the spirits assisting them. When enough control is gained, chanters can direct them to perform a single powerful spell called an invocation. Invocations are often support-oriented, but some contain powerful offensive effects. Invocations are so powerful that they disrupt a chanter's chants, disabling their effects for several seconds until the chanter can recover.

While Eora's wizards are known for their "colorful" spell names, chanters' phrases are far more loquacious, often incorporating the entire spoken text of the phrase.

In addition to their chants and invocations, chanters' close association with the Lost gives them one final, passive power: Ancient Memory. This ability activates whenever the chanter is in combat and grants low-level Stamina regeneration to all nearby allies. It is not as strong as a fighter's Constant Recovery or a priest's Holy Radiance, but can affect even faraway allies at all times.

Priests are devoted followers of one or more deities, though almost all have a primary dedication to a single god above all others. They are well-versed in philosophy, myths, and legends, giving them an inherent bonus to the Lore skill. Additionally, the requirements of their faith often involve traveling long distances in difficult circumstances, giving them an inherent bonus to Athletics.

In the world of Eora, priests do not gain power directly from their deity, but from their belief in the deity and the tenets of their religion. Paladins share a similar source of power, but differ from priests in the intensity and nuance of their beliefs. Paladins' faith is single-minded, extremely passionate, and held above all other concerns. The faith of priests is more philosophical, open to criticism (both their own and from others), and malleable from individual to individual. While paladins are ever-burning wellsprings of spiritual energy, priests gather energy into their own souls and release it through the use of specific prayers. These prayers form the common spells priests use in battle, ranging from healing magic and divine attacks to a variety of blessings and curses.

Compared to wizards, priests have access to a smaller number of spells overall but do not need to prepare those spells in a grimoire. And while priests do have offensive spells, they are smaller in area and generally weaker in power than similar effects available to wizards and druids.

In addition to their spells, all priests have two inherent abilities: Interdiction and Holy Radiance. Interdiction is a fast-acting Dazed effect that the priest can apply to a group of enemies. It does not have a long duration, but can be valuable in gaining a quick advantage.

Holy Radiance regenerates Stamina for all allies in close proximity to the priest. Additionally, any vessels (spirits bound into unliving matter like dead flesh, copper, or bronze) hit by the effect take Burn damage and are Frightened if the radiance overcomes their Will.

The power of both Holy Radiance and the paladin's Faith and Conviction abilities can be modified by their behavior and the reputations they develop from the choices they make. When players make a paladin or priest character, they select an order or deity, respectively. Each choice highlights two types of behavior that are celebrated and two types of behavior that are condemned. For priests and paladins played as the main character, their Holy Radiance and Faith and Conviction power will shift based on their behavior. Reinforcing their deity's or order's preferred behavior will gradually increase their power, while playing against type will cause a small diminishment in their power. These changes are not dramatic, but reflect a measure of dissonance between the character's stated faith and how they choose to conduct themselves.

See the full update for lists of Chanter chants and Priest spells, and also of Paladin orders and deities. There's also a new portrait of a previously unseen Chanter character from the game by the name of Kana Rua, who might be a companion.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
poedrp.png

vg_rpg_bg1_xzar.jpg

Last edited:

Athelas

Arcane
Those character models are looking mighty fine.

The lore surrounding chanters sounds surprisingly interesting.

It's kinda funny how the small skill list makes them strain to come up with skill specializations ('oh yeah, priests travel a lot so they're athletic'). Not that I mind a small skill list.

Tigranes

Arcane
Love the chant names, and the idea of stories acting as conduit for their power. The priest belief system also seems set up to provide a lot of pseudo-philosophical stuff that is Obsidian's forte.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Love the chant names, and the idea of stories acting as conduit for their power. The priest belief system also seems set up to provide a lot of pseudo-philosophical stuff that is Obsidian's forte.
I'm very :bounce: about this game.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
This is weird but I kind of approve of how simple and utilitarian those spell animations are. Good on you, Obs.

Of course this being Obsidian and Sawyer I am bracing for complete and utter failure when it comes to actually fighting things but that doesn't mean I'm not looking forward to it anyway.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
So next spring then?
Translation: Expect it by next summer.

Funded by whose money, oh edgy ones? You need to break out of that mentality. There is no publisher to beg for more money and development time. They're on their own.

If you want a reasonable expected release date for PoE, wait for the release date of Wasteland 2, then add half a year.

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
There's always early access sales, but I believe they won't be necessary because of what I said above.

jdinatale

Cipher
So next spring then?
Translation: Expect it by next summer.

Funded by whose money, oh edgy ones? You need to break out of that mentality. There is no publisher to beg for more money and development time. They're on their own.

If you want a reasonable expected release date for PoE, wait for the release date of Wasteland 2, then add half a year.

I don't see your point. Larian Studios also doesn't have a publisher to beg money from and that didn't stop them from delaying Divinity: OS. I think you're ignoring that Obsidian has cash reserves to tap into if needed. We can only speculate how much of the budget originally allocate for PoE has been used or not used yet.

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
For some reason I feel like there won't be an early access sale with PoE. I have this hunch it will be beta access and then release.

Athelas

Arcane
I think they said as much before. Also, the Early Access model probably doesn't mesh well with a company of Obsidian's size.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Loving everything about this, except for thr shader they use on the 3d models. Wish they would have gone with prerendered sprites or a more pixelated look.

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
For some reason I feel like there won't be an early access sale with PoE. I have this hunch it will be beta access and then release.
Because Obsidian is too classy for that bush league shit.

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
I hope they don't even have an open/early-access beta. Im sick of this development style. It hasn't proven that it improves the games quality either since most of those early access whoring games a). still get released with shitloads of bugs and unfinished content b). dont fucking get released at all.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom