Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Information Caribbean! Available on Steam Early Access

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tags: Carribean!; Mount & Blade; Snowbird Game Studios

Snowbird Game Studios, the developer behind Eador: Masters of the Broken World, has made their standalone Mount & Blade-based project, a "sandbox pirate RPG" called Caribbean!, available on Steam Early Access. The planned release date is Autumn 2014.

'Caribbean!' is a sandbox pirate RPG that blends the most engaging melee and firearms combat with naval battles, detailed crew management and the deep atmosphere of the pirate era.

Set in XVII century’s Caribbean region, whose unspeakable riches drew many European powers and pirates into the great fight, the game lets players decide their own role and create their own pirate adventure.

What's already in the game:
  • Naval battles with controllable ships. There are several types of damage that ships can deal and take; Ships can lose sails and be caught on fire.
  • Players can purchase unique upgrades for their ships, like a more solid hull, fire protection, damage reduction for their crew and a greater chance to set enemy ships on fire and so on.
  • Ability to improve ship artillery and ship's crew.
  • A set of special perks available for player's character.
'Caribbean!' is currently in the alpha state and has reached the stage where it could really use some of the players' feedback. The game has its basic features already in, and content-wise (weapons, armor, locations, sounds) we're 70% done. What we're mostly planning to do from this point is to build upon and improve what we already have with regular updates and your help.

You might be put off by the current simple economic system, visually incomplete locations and balance problems — these parts of the game will be reworked during the Early Access stage.​

For more details, also check out the developer's latest blog post.

The main question — “Why would I pay for a mod that’s not even complete?”. The answer is obvious, because ‘Caribbean!’ is not a mod. Just the scope of code work that went into the engine changes we requested has been tremendous.

You can look at screenshots of Crusader Kings 2 and say it’s merely a mod of Europa Universalis 4. Both games do share a lot in common — provinces, map, menus. But they remain very different projects, and their audiences aren’t necessarily the same. In the case of our Caribbean project we rely on M&B Warband’s engine but at the same time build a game that’s going to be very different. We don’t want to simply change the character models, we want to create another system for this game’s world.​

To see the screenshots and learn more about the game, head over to the Steam page.

Thanks skallagrim!

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Same guys that did Eador Master of the Broken Game. I'd be extremely cautious about buying it, especially in Early Access.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
>Early Access

For the love of God, make it stop.
Yeah, make it stop!
It's horrible how it enables studios that are low on funds keep on developing their games while also gaining additional free testing and feedback.
With the only downside of longer development.
The horror!

:patriot:

Same guys that did Eador Master of the Broken Game. I'd be extremely cautious about buying it, especially in Early Access.
Absolutely true.
Eador is playable by now, btw.

Hopefully early access will help them getting rid of the bugs better in this game. They stated that they simply didn't know about the major bugs as they never encountered them on their own machines. Which might actually be true,

Modron

Arcane
Eh the developers are trying to be a Carbon Copy 100% faithful to their source inspiration mount and blade and release feature incomplete. Mount and Blade and Warband were released pretty much in a similar fashion as most early access games and pretty much followed that recipe of releasing feature incomplete and patching in more content but never as much content as you hoped. However, since the base gameplay was so much fun no one was really that upset.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Naval battles look ok, but that world screams procedurally generated boredom.

Anyway, Early Access means a game for people with more disposable income and spare time than me.

mikaelis

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
Tags: Carribean!; Mount & Blade; Snowbird Game Studios

Snowbird Game Studios, the developer behind Eador: Masters of the Broken World, has made their standalone Mount & Blade-based project, a "sandbox pirate RPG" called Carribean!, available on Steam Early Access. The planned release date is Autumn 2014.

Wait a minute, I could swear that there was an expansion announced on Polish market like 2 years ago. I think it was from some Ukrainian developer working together with M&B guys. And I think they were the same people behind "With Fire and Sword" expansion for M&B, and that the project was quite deep in shit. In Polish market, it was supposed to be called something like "With Fire and Sword: Carribean" or something like this - which brought a lot of lulz, because there was no connection whatsoever between it and the previous "mod".

EDIT:

Oh, there you are:
http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...ade-With-Fire-and-Sword-2-Caribbean!-Gameplay

So, that's the same thing then?

EDIT2::

Yes, it is the same game

Last edited:

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
More sandbox games like M&B are always welcomed, but I fucking hate fucking pirate setting.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
>Early Access

Don't like it, don't buy it. Just let us salaryfags who don't have to worry if we waste a couple of dollars or not support interesting games, and you poorfags will eventually have finished games to buy when a 75% discount rolls around.

Unwanted

Contrite

Andhaira
Andhaira
I loathe early access but you have to admit, M&B was the first game to do this almost more than a decade before early access was a thing.

Eyeball

Arcane
For once, I come across a M&B game I have no interest in. Apart from the awesome free-roaming, the main selling point of M&B was always the giant battlefields with hordes of charging cavalry, archers and footmen. Putting the M&B engine on board ships seems to me to merely make the game like a million M&B siege battles, siege battles being the worst implemented feature of MB.

Passing on this, waiting for MB2. And I consider MB to be the best game made this side of the millennium.

GlutenBurger

Cipher
>Early Access

Don't like it, don't buy it. Just let us salaryfags who don't have to worry if we waste a couple of dollars or not support interesting games, and you poorfags will eventually have finished games to buy when a 75% discount rolls around.
I think criticisms are more about a shift in culture. It has become increasingly difficult to have a fresh experience with a new game. Impatiently devouring preview articles every two months during development was bad enough. Now we're playing the game while it's unfinished, further tarnishing the experience of the finished product with more elaborate prior knowledge. People who don't partake of it have to be wary of potential spoilers from people who do.

Maybe you don't mind. I haven't yet decided whether I do, myself. Some people seem to.

Regardless, as I recall Mount and Blade spent quite a long period in a (possibly free?) open beta, so in this case it's kind of like they're being true to its legacy.

V_K

Arcane
Looks like pirates are the new dragons. Or new zombies. Or both.
Now I'll just wait for someone to make a game about zombie dragon pirates. With romances.

himmy

Arcane
I think criticisms are more about a shift in culture. It has become increasingly difficult to have a fresh experience with a new game. Impatiently devouring preview articles every two months during development was bad enough. Now we're playing the game while it's unfinished, further tarnishing the experience of the finished product with more elaborate prior knowledge. People who don't partake of it have to be wary of potential spoilers from people who do.

Does nobody remember demos?

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor

Does nobody remember demos?
Not like you'd buy anything, anyway~

kris

Arcane
>Early Access

Yeah, make it stop!
It's horrible how it enables studios that are low on funds keep on developing their games while also gaining additional free testing and feedback.
With the only downside of longer development.
The horror!

I also think their explotation of stupid players with no patience is the smart thing to do. on a business perspective. they really gone one step further in exploiting fans.

In the distant past. Developers/Publishers used only paid for professional testers when finishing their game.

In the near past. Developers/Publishers released BETA tests which exploited fans to test their game for free. possibly marring their game experience forever.

In the present. They have finally realised that game fans are stupid enough to actually pay for testing their games. the impatience of gamers have reached its breaking point.
(note: this is also perfect since any flaw with a early access game can easily be deflected with a "it is not finished" statement)

I am sure someone will note that kickstarter is even one step further there, but in my eyes that is another thing entirerly.

Morkar Left

I'm indifferent about early access. It really depends on the game and what gameplay you already get for a discounted price.

M&B ist basically the mother of early access as mentioned above from Andhaira(?). But M&B was sold for 10$/15$ for the "early access" and most importantly it had a demo where you could see what you get for the reduced price.

Back in the day I bought it for 15$ because the content that was in the beta was already worth the pricetag.

Modron

Arcane
Not the first time, With Fire and Sword and one could even argue warband if they were so inclined.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom