Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News Blizzard North closes

Spazmo

Erudite
Tags: Blizzard Entertainment; Diablo III

Blizzard North, the division of Blizzard that made the Diablo series of games, has now been officially closed since so many of its employees have left it to form other companies. <a href="http://www.gamespot.com/pc">Gamespot PC</a> has the story:<blockquote>In a statement today, Blizzard president and founder Mike Morhaime said the relocation will "improve our efficiency as a company" and "represents an opportunity for all of our teams to have regular, direct input on each other's projects."
<br>
<br>
Those from Blizzard North who were offered relocation packages "will continue work on an unannounced project," which most believe is the third installment in the hugely popular Diablo series.</blockquote>The remaining Bliz North employees have been amalgamated into the main Blizzard operation. As for Diablo 3, further speculation suggests that its official announcement will be at the <a href=http://www.blizzcon.com/>BlizzCon</a> event which will take place on October 28-29 of this year.

Atrokkus

Erudite
Well, that's an obvious decision.

Mmm... waiting for Diablo III announcement... mmm.

Too bad that the core designers left... It may downgrade the next project

roguefrog

Liturgist
Flagship Studios is the new Blizzard North and Hellgate: London is the new Diablo if you get my drift

Atrokkus

Erudite
actually, i don't think so.
WEll, of course, there's not much known about H:L, but damn i just don't think it will be a kind of "diablo-sequel." It may retain some features, but it won't be like D3 or sumthing.

And don't get me wrong: there is a sense in D3. Both story and gameplay-wise. There are many options, really. I'll elabroate on that later, if anyone's interested.

The question is: will the remainders of North (now in Blizzard central), along with new blood, be able to really revive Diablo and create a worthy sequel?
I really can't even speculate on that.

corvax

Augur
mEtaLL1x said:
Too bad that the core designers left... It may downgrade the next project
It's not like following up to Diablo 2 is THAT hard.

Seven

Erudite
Ding dong the witch is dead... :wink:

Personally, I stopped carring for Blizzard when they decided to make Starcraft: Ghost. Some one correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Vivendi say that Blizzard would be focussing on consoles from now on?

DemonKing

Arcane
Seven said:
Personally, I stopped carring for Blizzard when they decided to make Starcraft: Ghost. Some one correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Vivendi say that Blizzard would be focussing on consoles from now on?

If you had 3.5 million customers playing WOW, would you dump them and shift to console-only?

Even Herve wouldn't be that dumb.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Walks with the Snails said:
Pull the plug on an existing project I doubt. I don't hold very high hopes of seeing a Starcraft 2 PC game, though.
:cry:

Atrokkus

Erudite
don't hold very high hopes of seeing a Starcraft 2 PC game, though.
Oh no you are wrong.
Strategy department of Blizzard is in NO WAY affected by all that personnel drain. StarCraft is supported vividly, Warcraft is becoming VERY solid strategy, even potentially ascending to SC's level.

The only problem is that due to so much spending on WOW SC2 may be delayed considerably.
SC:G is in no consequence, because Blizzard is not devleoping it, technically. Swinging Ape does all the work. Well, recently they were assimilated by Blizzard, as a separate department, as sort of a console-department, so they surely won't participate in SC2.

So I have no worries about SC2. It is VERY hard to beat the original and WC3 in concept, but I'm damn sure Blizzard can pull it off.

kris

Arcane
mEtaLL1x said:
So I have no worries about SC2. It is VERY hard to beat the original and WC3 in concept, but I'm damn sure Blizzard can pull it off.

Beating WC3 won't be hard, just take away more of the armies... and make it impossible to wage war and you have it.

Naked_Lunch

Erudite
Even if a new Starcraft or whatever did come out, it would be instantly pulverized by Supreme Commander. So there. :P

kris

Arcane
Naked_Lunch said:
Even if a new Starcraft or whatever did come out, it would be instantly pulverized by Supreme Commander. So there. :P

Go make out with Exit will you? :D

Fez

Erudite
Can you invade people's minds and rape them with thoughts?

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Diablo 3? More like World of Diablo. Meh!

The guy who made Battle for Middle Earth is the lead designer. What does he know about RPGs?

Anyway, Warcraft 3 sucked. You didn't even control real armies or wage any war on a realistic scale. It was more like Skirmishcraft. I don't want to see an SC2.

Atrokkus

Erudite
What does he know about RPGs?
RPG? Diablo is no RPG, and never was.
Diablo is a strategy-action-game.

Anyway, Warcraft 3 sucked. You didn't even control real armies or wage any war on a realistic scale.
Of course it differs so much from StarCraft. But hey: if it was simialar, wouldn't it be a cloning?
Plus, the game is pretty balanced now.
The game is centered around your hero. There are not so many parallel battles, mostly it's one force vs one force. However, before the final battles, tehre are lots of harrassing, lots of ways to damage enemy's economy etc. So it can be pretty active. Plus, the creep-jacking.
And skill is required. I mean, yeah, StarCraft is kinda faster, and thus harder, but still it all comes down to players' skills. So, it's equally hard to beat a high-level gosu in StarCraft and in Warcraft.

And sure SC2 must be different. It should be more like SC, that's obvious.

corvax

Augur
RPG? Diablo is no RPG, and never was.
Diablo is a strategy-action-game.
You got me there. You got the action part right. But there's strategy in Diablo? I guess there's strategy in everything then. Hmm? Which monster should I click next? Which weapon should I use next?

As flaky as genre definitions are my guess would be for an arcade-action-adventure-role-playing game.

Naked_Lunch

Erudite
It is a fucking action RPG. It has stats and character development, there's the RPG. It has an extreme emphasis on killing shit, there's the aciton. Boom bang done.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom