Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News War for the Overworld receives massive 0.4.0 Überlord patch

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
Tags: Subterranean Games; War for the Overworld

A massive overhaul patch for War for the Overworld has been released. It is so massive that Subterranean Games advises you watch the associated video of it to get an idea of what has changed.

Most notable is that the UI has been changed so that it's no longer the placeholder UI.

Astral Rag

Arcane
They're not going to fix those floors and walls are they. They really seem convinced these god-awful, distracting fluorescent objects have a place in a DK clone.

7-capture_27112007_172534.png

vs

newyjqa.png

wgt14mjx9.jpg

What the fuck is wrong with people.

Last edited:

Angthoron

Arcane
They're not going to fix those floors and walls are they. They really seem convinced these god-awful, distracting fluorescent objects have a place in a DK clone.

Fluorescent lights are like the black lights but for demons.

zerotol

Arcane
Patron

7-capture_27112007_172534.png

vs

newyjqa.png

wgt14mjx9.jpg

What the fuck is wrong with people.

Finishing the game will be a higher priority then making a new wall tile.

I don't like the walls either, but that is easily changeable.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I'm tired of playing alphas/betas. Ruins my experience with a game. Sadly I doubt this will be in release state anytime before 2016.

Simburgur

Literate
Hey guys, WFTO dev here.

We actually toned them down in this update and plan to do so again in the future. As Zerotol says, we're focusing on the core game at the moment and this isn't a huge priority.

Let me know if you guys have any further questions!

Astral Rag

Arcane
Hey guys, WFTO dev here.

We actually toned them down in this update and plan to do so again in the future. As Zerotol says, we're focusing on the core game at the moment and this isn't a huge priority.

Thanks for the info and welcome to the Codex! I will keep an eye on WFTO's progress. I really want need a good DK-like.

Those walls and tiles do -look- like a pretty huge issue to me because they are very distracting and ruin the look and atmosphere of the game.
horned_reaper.gif

Last edited:

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
To me, the core of any good management-centric game (theme hospital, the guild, majesty, DKs, and banished) are two things: possibility for endless sandbox play, and emergent "player stories." With the latter, I mean stuff like random events, competing against a decent A.I. or micro-management like being able to follow a single minion around.

99% of management sims don't fulfill these criteria and 99% of management sims suck hard. 100% of DK clones I've played have all sucked because they tried doing something outside the formula or some gimmicky thing of their own invention.

I haven't played this game. Those green dots everywhere look horrible tho.

Simburgur

Literate
Ok ok, green dots are horrible :)

Here's the top gems from one of our other dungeon themes - does that seem better? I'm considering altering them all to have gems of a similar size.

What mistakes would you say you've learnt to avoid from observing other devs' attempts at reviving Dungeon Keeper-style games, namely Dungeons and Impire?
Well, for a start we're actually making a Dungeon Keeper spiritual successor, not something loosely based on some similar mechanics. We literally became game developers to do exactly this because nobody else was.

IDtenT

Menace to sobriety!
Patron
South Africa; My pronouns are: Banal/Shit/Boring
Divinity: Original Sin
Ok ok, green dots are horrible :)

Here's the top gems from one of our other dungeon themes - does that seem better? I'm considering altering them all to have gems of a similar size.
Muuuuch better.

Well, for a start we're actually making a Dungeon Keeper spiritual successor, not something loosely based on some similar mechanics. We literally became game developers to do exactly this because nobody else was.
I understand that, but obviously you guys are putting your own flair to it. As long as it plays similar to the DK of old it should be fine. If the basics are there it should work.

Simburgur

Literate
I understand that, but obviously you guys are putting your own flair to it. As long as it plays similar to the DK of old it should be fine. If the basics are there it should work.
For sure. We're certainly adding our own flair to it, but we are staying as true as we can to the formula. We've been playing DK1/2 for over a decade... the changes we are making are the changes we think were needed :)

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
why must there be gems at all? it's super abstract and takes away from the dungeony underground feeling.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
They show the walls are reinforced when the camera is angled so you can't actually see the wall(in dk2 at least). It's a necessary feature imo, but I do prefer the subdued variant.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Wtf are you guys going on about?

The most important question is this:
What can you do with a chicken?

On a more serious note, I've been following this since, well, a long time. So far, I remain in positive suspense.
Don't fuck it up, mhkay?

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
It's a bird chirp you uncultured manboons.

Those orange walls look much better, looks like your game is on a great track so far, keep it up!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom