Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info Pillars of Eternity Kickstarter Update #76: Justin Bell on the Music of Pillars of Eternity

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Justin Bell; Obsidian Entertainment; Pillars of Eternity

This week's Pillars of Eternity Kickstarter update is by Justin Bell, the game's composer. As you might expect, the update is all about the making of the Eternity soundtrack. It also includes a sample piece - an ambient theme from one of the game's towns. I quote:

Making Pillars of Eternity feel like a modern day Infinity Engine game is important to us, and music plays a big role in achieving that goal. But what does that actually mean in practice? Well if you were to loosely analyze the music from Baldur’s Gate 1 & 2 and Icewind Dale 1 & 2 for example, you would find a number of stylistic similarities between them. Without getting too technical, their music combines tropes found in European folk and pre-Renaissance modal music, and mashes that together with modern day orchestration techniques and film music aesthetics.

You’re probably thinking... “Where’s the human side of all this? Where’s the emotion? The music for the IE games is so much more than simply a mash-up of musical elements!”

Putting it in such cold and analytical terms doesn’t really give those soundtracks the justice they deserve, does it? Still it’s important for me as the composer to understand things in that way, and here’s why. An incredible teacher of mine used to say, “When in doubt, use a model”. Another incredible teacher would likewise say, “Never proceed without a plan”. What they were both saying is that if you’re going to take a journey, you need to understand the path and know your destination to the best of your ability. Even if the plan needs to change at some point down the path, always think it through first.

Luckily for me both are pretty clear. In that sense the soundtracks for the IE games are both my model and my plan, at least to a point. I’ve made a couple minor structural modifications to the formula, which I’ll describe in greater depth further on.

Drum Roll Please...

The first region I focused on was Dyrford, and I’d like to share the music that I wrote for the town of Dyrford with you. I hope you enjoy it!

Dyrford Village ambient music.

Modifications to the Formula

While we are following in the footsteps of the Infinity Engine soundtracks in terms of style and implementation, we have decided to tweak that formula a bit. Most of the in-game tracks for the Baldur’s Gate and Icewind Dale games are between 1-2 minutes in length, and in some cases those tracks loop immediately. There are some inherent risks and benefits to looping a short piece of music immediately.

One of the risks is that the music could eventually become annoying to the player if heard too many times in a row. We call this “listener fatigue”, and from a usability perspective, it can negatively affect the way a gamer will feel about a game. It’s a psychological effect; the fact that the music is short and repetitious can make long playthroughs tedious. On the flip side, a benefit to having short loops is that we can write more unique pieces of music, which will by nature increase variety throughout the game. Approaching it this way would allow us to make specific areas feel “special” because they will have unique music.

We’re going to balance those two considerations for Pillars of Eternity. Music will always loop, but it will be longer in areas where the player spends a lot of time (like quest hubs) and shorter in areas where the player doesn’t (like some dungeons).

Ooh, nice. That track is definitely more Icewind Dale than Baldur's Gate. Which is a good thing in my book.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
the best parts of the video are the screenshots and nothing more.
insipid.

edit:

for anyone who wants to wash it down with some quality ingame music

Last edited:
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Larger problem is that the music doesn't fit the mood of most people chomping at the bit to play this game. We want to hear the drums of battle.

As far as a "coming down" music for going back into town after a hard battle, it rises to the occasion.

Shadenuat

Arcane
I didn't hear music, just a bunch of instruments shyly trying to cling to borders of my attention.
I hope final pieces will be at least a bit more catchy.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik

How I wish someone would copy this piece and insert it into the game.

:)

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I really think people are coming down too hard on this piece. Not every melody can be an awesome heavy metal experience.

What it is supposed to be doing, it does well.

Although, I do think Obsidian would have gotten a better reception if they gave us a kick ass battle score

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
is he the same guy that did the intro music of the kickstarter video?
because I can clearly remember that when it was stated that some of that extra money could be used to hire a talented composer, all jumped butthurt that he is a talented guy and they should keep it inhouse.

Ok, now I know why I don't like this crap. Because it sounds too much like this:

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
What a coincidence, Jeremy Soule was also the composer of Icewind Dale.

Tytus

Arcane
I don't know it doesn't feel vert village'y to me. More like an exploration music while roaming some country side or sth where there is no other sentient being. It doesn't sound bad, it just sounds generic so probably it will be good as a background music you don't really focus on, but also it doesn't disturb your gameplay. And is it just me or does the second part sound a little like Howard Shore score to Lotr?

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
It probably wasn't a good idea to use an atmospheric-don't-notice-it's-playing track to show off what the composer is working on.

Also, I notice PST is conspicuously absent from his IE game influences. Can't compete with Mark Morgan eh :M

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Good update. I like the music, it sounds a little Elder Scrolls-like, but then, I tend to enjoy more subtle pieces quite a bit.

A user named cat

Track was alright and works fine for ambient music, as long as it isn't distracting or irritating. Ambience is actually pretty easy to do (except on Brian Eno's level), so not much to say really. I think I posted this before but I made this a few years back playing around with Omnisphere for a bit just to experiment with this kind of stuff.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Something about the start of that track in the KS update reminds of the beginning to Brian Eno's music for airports.

jdinatale

Cipher
Meh, it sounds like generic RPG fare. I wished we had memorable tunes like these. These songs are so good, I actually listen to them outside of gaming. Composers need to learn that we want tunes that will endure and that we will listen to 10+ years after their release.

VioletShadow

Sensate
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
It's unfair to compare that piece to something like Deionarra's theme, which is a beautiful piece associated with an important character and not ambient music that is supposed to play as you walk through a town.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Yeah I didn't like that track either. Parts of it were alright, but the overall was disappointing. I'm hoping that was just the base track done in orch samples or whatever, and the final is more dressed up with better instrumentation.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
it does sound a little generic, even if I don't dislike it or anything.
hopefully, due to the sheer size of the game, there will be at least some unique songs too.

else you can always mute the music and blast some black metal in the background.

btw this is proper game music:

srsly tho orchestrations can be great with some other prominent instruments (guitars/piano) doing something more interesting.

Last edited:

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
The IE games for the most part followed some sort of formula, particularly for the quieter more atmospheric tracks (which this piece is). They were usually very minimalistic and had background orchestration with foreground instumentation, usually non-string instruments that were tonally warmer and grabbed your attention.

Baldur's Gate - Night on the Plains

Background Strings, foreground cello?, a bit of contrabass off to the side and a foreground melody. Simple, effective and memorable.

garren

Arcane
Patron
Man the earlier games had some really memorable tracks now that I think about it, Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, Planescape.. when I think of songs from newer games, like Neverwinter Nights (didn't play nwn1 though) or Dragon Age, I can't think of a single memorable piece of music.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
That track is pretty bad to listen to on its own. Maybe, just maybe, it will be better as a background tune while playing the game, but I'm not convinced. It feels... kind of bland.

We'll see, I guess.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Man the earlier games had some really memorable tracks now that I think about it, Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, Planescape.. when I think of songs from newer games, like Neverwinter Nights (didn't play nwn1 though) or Dragon Age, I can't think of a single memorable piece of music.

NWN1 had incredible music. And NWN2 reused a lot of it.

Again, it was by Jeremy Soule, so like this track, it was not Baldur's Gate-like.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom