Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News First Wasteland 2 LA screenshot revealed

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: InXile Entertainment; Wasteland 2

I don't mind normally make newsposts just for screenshots, but since this is the first time we've ever seen one of Wasteland 2's California areas, I figured I'd make an exception. From the game's official Tumblr (click to enlarge):

The LA area of Wasteland 2 will have a markedly different look than that of Arizona. A sneak peek.
Pretty! You remember those hermit crabs they talked about way back when? I guess this is what they've become.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
nice colors but it still looks like a goddamn tree graph map.

I hope that the majority of their maps are outdoors, it looks good, although there isn't really a lack of green shit in the current build(Ag center), I really like this overgrown city look.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
That looks p. good but then you remember the map design will probably suck.

Also it will take 10 minutes to load

GlutenBurger

Cipher
I hope there's an option to earn the crabs' respect by winning that comically oversized game of Naughts and Crosses. I have visions of my squad riding nobly upon their backs, roaming the streets from this vantage and regaling tales of their children's game mastery upon anybody who cares to listen (anybody who does not gets torn apart by claws).

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
I have the assets that I could have whipped this together myself in Unity with one hour's worth of work. How many years work on this game now? How many staff?

I suspect this game is in big trouble. Too much capital at the outset will do that sometimes.

You'd just expect way more. It looks like the assets are piecemeal with no central art direction and since all the failed assets are on the Unity asset store I would guess that is exactly how these were thrown together - the results of many monkeys typing at many typewriters.

Those car wrecks are terrible. Check the asset store, you will find far better ones with less than 400 triangles. I took one and ran it through my WORN EDGES toolkit and then post-processed the resulting texture and my post-apocalyptic wrecks came out looking way, way better. Also somebody needs to tell them how to bake their reflection maps using LIGHTSHAPE on the asset store so the HDR offsets look like they fit. Those cars look like the chassis is reflecting another environment.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
I have the assets that I could have whipped this together myself in Unity with one hour's worth of work. How many years work on this game now? How many staff?

I suspect this game is in big trouble. Too much capital at the outset will do that sometimes.

You'd just expect way more. It looks like the assets are piecemeal with no central art direction and since all the failed assets are on the Unity asset store I would guess that is exactly how these were thrown together - the results of many monkeys typing at many typewriters.

Those car wrecks are terrible. Check the asset store, you will find far better ones with less than 400 triangles. I took one and ran it through my WORN EDGES toolkit and then post-processed the resulting texture and my post-apocalyptic wrecks came out looking way, way better. Also somebody needs to tell them how to bake their reflection maps using LIGHTSHAPE on the asset store so the HDR offsets look like they fit. Those cars look like the chassis is reflecting another environment.

GB2WORKONGRIMOIRE

norolim

Arcane
Looks nice, but those walls. The technology used to build them must have been incredibly advanced. Probably the same magic they used for the arches in PoE ;)

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
I also think it doesn't look bad. Not really great either, but I never expected that.

Forgive me for thinking people should expect more for their 2 million dollars than a shareware game thrown together with public domain assets. I just don't see where they spent the money. Compare with FALLOUT 1 or even single man products from my own town Melbourne like DEAD ZONE.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I just don't see where they spent the money. Compare with FALLOUT 1 or even single man products from my own town Melbourne like DEAD ZONE.
Not this again. They are running a project with at least a dozen people for several years now. Don't compare it with a one man studio, who works on a game for 15 years in his free time.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
inb4 two pages of posts that boil down to "I really like the clean, angular look of orthographic 2D maps, why doesn't this game have that"

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Inb4 Infinitron waving away any criticism with "you just don't like this".

Oh wait

:lol:

This is a good one, though: "I really like the clean, angular look of orthographic 2D maps, why doesn't this game have that"

If I was inXile, why, I'd put you on the payroll. 1 buck for each straw-man. You'd have a pretty stuffed piggy-bank by now.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

Are you really contesting the fact that when it comes to top-down 3D graphics, a lot of Codexers really do "just don't like that"? Do I have to go digging through the archives for examples?

FeelTheRads

Arcane
No, bro, I'm not. I don't know what a lot Codexers like or not, but even if you had example that showed there's such a lot of them, how in the fuck is that a defense for the game?

- Well, I think the assets are crappy.
- Yeah, it's because you like angular maps.

:hmmm:

By the way, it's their fault they gave up on the fixed camera. Maybe then those codexers would have loved it. Especially that map with that intersection couldn't get more angular.

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer

Are you really contesting the fact that when it comes to top-down 3D graphics, a lot of Codexers really do "just don't like that"? Do I have to go digging through the archives for examples?

Most of the old ones just look better than the full 3D graphic engines. They have more detail and definition.

I think good looking isos are possible in 3D but you'd have to take it more seriously than the crap hack above. That doesn't look like a 2 million dollar screenshot to me.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom