Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review RPG Codex Review: Shadowrun: Dragonfall

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tags: Harebrained Schemes; Shadowrun Returns; Shadowrun: Dragonfall

The recently released DLC (but actually more of an expansion) to Harebrained Schemes' Shadowrun Returns, Shadowrun: Dragonfall, promised to improve on the original campaign by making gameplay less restrictive and more open-ended. But did it deliver on those promises? Read this review by Darth Roxor to find out. Here's a snippet:

As you may remember, the main issues with the OC’s missions were their corridor-ish maps that didn't leave room for different approaches, the lack of decking opportunities, and the checkpoint system that didn’t allow going back and forth between maps. Every single one of these flaws has been fixed. In Dragonfall, every level gives you the opportunity to you access the Matrix and do funny things, like taking control of turrets or spying on enemies with cameras, and there are lots of those excellent set-pieces where you have to cover a decker in combat. Some missions take place in multi-floor buildings, and while you shouldn’t expect maze-like levels, there is still considerably more to do in them than just run and gun. A few of them can even be completed without firing a single shot if you have the proper skills, and most have a few side objectives as well. Navigating around the maps is much smoother now, because the game properly turns off turn-based mode outside of combat. The last mission, in particular, is simply brilliant, and I wish there were more runs like it in the game – it’s actually almost a straight-up dungeon crawl, with multiple levels, navigating through dark tunnels, finding the means to tip the scales in your favour, while coming across lots of nasty-ass enemies that slowly chip away your medkits.

[...] I did say difficulty was still a problem, and unfortunately, two significant issues with it remain: the Heal Wound spell is as broken as ever, and the enemy AI is as retarded as ever. I have absolutely no idea who the hell decided to keep the hard-coded routine that makes enemies never use more than one offensive action per turn, but he should be yelled at. Seriously, I mean it. There’s nothing that keeps the difficulty down more than this – even if you are severely outnumbered, your team still effectively has more actions per turn than the enemy, and it is downright absurd when you see a foe shoot you once and end his turn, even though you know he has 4 action points because a flashbang that hit him on a different occasion for -3AP didn’t knock him out. If the AI was actually using its potential to the fullest, Dragonfall might have actually been a very challenging game. I have no idea why they couldn't make the “Very Hard” difficulty setting remove this "enemy action limit".​

Read the full article: RPG Codex Review: Shadowrun: Dragonfall

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I also wondered about the action limit on enemies.
Especially since some enemies do not have this limit (turrets, bosses, ...).

Bio Force Ape

Arcane
I definitely saw some enemies attacking 2 or 3 times in the final battle, so it can't be hard-coded that they can only attack once per round can it?

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I also wondered about the action limit on enemies.
Especially since some enemies do not have this limit (turrets, bosses, ...).

The thing is, there are a few AI routines possible to set in the editor itself.

One is a generic mook AI, and this forces the enemies to never perform more than 1 type of action. Shootaz will run and shoot, but never shoot twice. Mages will run, cast a fireball and cast an aim buff, but never cast 2 aim buffs or 2 fireballs.

Only "boss" AI lets them use all the AP they have, but those are obviously just singular examples in the whole game.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Good review as usual Roxor. A little on the short side though :troll:

This is going well on the way to actually convincing me to get SSR though. Much as you seemed to like the game originally, the combination of systemic flaws and the mediocrity of the OC didn't thrill me. This "DLC" seems to at least solve the campaign problems, if not all of the other flaws. If they have more such expansions lined up, and if they keep on improving, then we have some really good campaigns coming up.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Good review as usual Roxor. A little on the short side though :troll:

This is going well on the way to actually convincing me to get SSR though. Much as you seemed to like the game originally, the combination of systemic flaws and the mediocrity of the OC didn't thrill me. This "DLC" seems to at least solve the campaign problems, if not all of the other flaws. If they have more such expansions lined up, and if they keep on improving, then we have some really good campaigns coming up.

If you hated the original, you probably won't love this, but if, like me, you were decidedly "MEH" on the original, this might win you over.

Also, like I said in the other thread:

Nice review. I agree with the ending paragraph and especially this part:

Darth Roxor said:
The developers showed with Dragonfall that they learn from their mistakes

In this world of repeated mistakes (*cough* Cyanide *cough*), it's nice to see a company that took some if not most of the criticism to heart.

Also, Dragonfall inspired me to write and GM a Shadowrun campaign. Always kindda disliked the setting, but the elements put point and center by both games seemed like they'd make for a very fun game of pen & paper indeed.

clemens

Cipher
Patron
Codex 2014 Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
And you know, I would be pretty happy if Shadowrun Returns could take me on a tour of the Renraku Arcology...

Oh, fuck yeah, please do this, HBS ! (or maybe just expand on Germany and let us visit the SOX... eurosetting is better than the OC anyway. But it's true that we need more twisted AI cyber-stuff and less fantasy dragons and insects.)

:bro:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Also, Dragonfall inspired me to write and GM a Shadowrun campaign.

DMS made me go play and GM pnp Shadowrun. Contrary for me, I always liked what I read about Shadowrun in a potato pnp mag that I used to collect back in the days, but I never really had the opportunity to delve into the game/setting properly.

If you want, I can lend you my .doc of SHADOWRUN SUNNY DUBAI SETTING that I brewed for that occasion +M

Also, obligatory gming_shadowrun.gif

fSV89.gif

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Also, Dragonfall inspired me to write and GM a Shadowrun campaign.

DMS made me go play and GM pnp Shadowrun. Contrary for me, I always liked what I read about Shadowrun in a potato pnp mag that I used to collect back in the days, but I never really had the opportunity to delve into the game/setting properly.

If you want, I can lend you my .doc of SHADOWRUN SUNNY DUBAI SETTING that I brewed for that occasion +M

Also, obligatory gming_shadowrun.gif

fSV89.gif

lol

Yeah, send me that shit. No harm in it.

P6q9ZKU.png

Ads for game right next to positive review, new level of magazine prestige unlocked without a doubt.

roxor would only take payment in potato-chips though, no dirty maïze-doritos

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
Can't even buy Doritos at my local supermarket, the great potato nation does not approve of these western bourgeois poisons.

Last edited:

Azael

Magister
Wasteland 2
Good review as usual Roxor. I've yet to try this DLC, but looks like I should based on this review. Nice to see a company listening to complaints and trying to address them.

Repressed Homosexual
It's still a very limited game with few possibilities, no openness (only making the same relatively linear missions in a different order), fake choices, Bioware lite NPCs, some frustrating design choices like fixed inventory for NPCs, and most frustrating of all, zero exploration. Why the hell can't Berlin be a real city like Seattle in Shadowrun on SNES, instead of a hub?

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
P. good review. :thumbsup:

Dragonfall was a lot better than DMS but HBS still has a lot to improve content-wise, like adding aforementioned legwork. Though I'm hoping the next "DLC" focus on some much needed mechanical improvements like fixing the AI, customizing other runners beside MC, improving GUI elements, etc. And of course not that I'm particularly ever holding my breath for it, but more system depth.

And they need to drop the fucking EPIC STORY WITH FAR REACHING CONSEKKKUENCES. It's like people have been doing the same shitty from zero to hero fantasy CRPGs for eternity they forgot how to do something more low-key.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Dragonfall was a lot better than DMS but HBS still has a lot to improve content-wise, like adding aforementioned legwork

Gotta disagree hard. What crushed SRR was trying to spread too little butter on too much bread. Dragonfall is better because it is more focused, not less. I mean, of course I'd like a full-fledged mega-RPG with three different gameplay levels (brief/debrief - legwork - run), wishes aren't horses.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
But they need to add that if they want an actual Shadowrun structure, what the game has is just incomplete. I'd rather have HBS cut the number of runs and make them more complex.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
And they need to drop the fucking EPIC STORY WITH FAR REACHING CONSEKKKUENCES. It's like people have been doing the same shitty from zero to hero fantasy CRPGs for eternity they forgot how to do something more low-key.

The story was more low-key than what we're used to. I think that rpgs want to have the player's action have far reaching consequences on the world, it's just the concept of "world" that needs to be redefined ; in Dragonfall the world was effectively Berlin and not "the universe" in itself, which I thought made the whole thing a bit more credible. The world itself is also the gameworld, and you see it evolve through the story, which is nice. The setting is pretty convincing overall, although yes I do agree that some things could have been toned down. Although I think, and the review mentionned it, that what the story actually needed was to flesh out the character of Monika - the first run shouldn't have been the first run, because it didn't give us enough time to care about her in any way

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Quit with the selective quoting FFS

Sorry, that was my bad. Honestly, I'd rather have 20 hours of focused goodness than 5 hours of varied goodness. I liked Blackguards a lot. It showed us that with focus we can have quality and mass of content even with slim budgets.

Also I don't think most of the SR customers would accept less content even if that content was more broad and true to the Shadowrun P&P experience.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I don't see how Dragonfall is any more focused than DMS. It doesn't cut a single thing DMS did out and adds more stuff. Of course I've always disagreed with Grunker's claim that SRR was too ambitious since it didn't seem ambitious to me at all. DMS was just a series of combat set pieces with dialog that didn't do anything. Where is the ambition?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom