Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Age of Decadence February Update

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Age of Decadence; Iron Tower Studios; Vault Dweller

This month's Age of Decadence update coincides with the release of the third update to the game's Early Access version. Here's what it says:

We’ve just released update #3 on Steam (the BMT version will be updated in the next few days), which is out 5th update (R4.5) since the second 'chapter' was released. Overall, what we released in November (R4) was a good foundation and we spent the next 3 months building on top of it, adding more characters, quests, dialogues, details, and polish.

If you want to see what's in the update, click here.

We’ll continue adding and ‘expanding’ characters (Kemnebi and Abukar will get more quests, dialogues, and portraits), but now the focus will be on new locations.

We’re aiming to add 5 locations in a month’s time. Two locations are almost done: Aemolas’ village and the Library of Saross, which was slightly changed and expanded from the original design. Inferiae is half done and we’re slowly working on the bridge and the portal.

Since we're moving away from the relative safety of towns to ruins and such, we'll add two creatures in the next update as well.
Ooh, creatures. Here's an excerpt from the update's changelog:
  • Changed the area around the temple in the Slums to make it look like a busy little bazaar. We added a new, rather colorful character who greets you when you enter this square and introduces the area.
  • Added another character and his followers near the tower of Zamedi. He will provide a fresh perspective on the tower and share valuable insights with you.
  • Added a new artefact (a mechanical eye). You can acquire it and, in the best traditions of the Planescape Torment, swap it for one of your own. The eye doesn’t shoot lasers (would be totally cool if you did though), but it can see into other planes, which makes it a rather useful thing to have ... in your eye socket.
  • The hammer crowd complained that they don’t have a cool hammer, so we gave them … *drumroll* … the Perforator! It’s a handy spiked hammer with a unique icon.
  • 3 journal pages (not the entire journal yet, but it’s a good start). Now in addition to Quests and Techniques, you get Lore (to collect what you learned from different people in one place), Items for all the Artefacts you managed to get your hands on, and Characters to keep track of people you double- and triple-crossed. The Characters page has only the portrait and the intro text for each character; the effect of your actions will be added in the upcoming updates. Overall, you get 17 Lore entries, 29 character entries, and 15 Artefact entries. There will be a lot more in the full game, obviously.
  • Added several rare alchemy components in the tower’s library.
That's right, a mechanical eye. Here's an image of it, and also of something called a "bolter"(!).

eye_zpsd93ffd3a.jpg
crossbow_zps1691f3d8.jpg

Is The Age of Decadence secretly set on a feudal world in the Imperium of Man?

set

Cipher
finally guns

Is regnerating health coming soon? Healing is too expensive.

Borelli

Arcane
Wait guns? What the fuck? I know that pre-apocalypse empire was advanced but guns is pushing it too far. (btw i've only played Teron so far)

hiver

those two items must have some epic, visceral special powahs and effects. cant wait to do some shootan.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Wait guns? What the fuck? I know that pre-apocalypse empire was advanced but guns is pushing it too far. (btw i've only played Teron so far)
It's not a gun, it's a crossbow. See the crank handle for drawing the string.

MurkyShadow

Glittering gem of hatred
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. I helped put crap in Monomyth
And for what exactly will you be needing this crossbow bolt thrower?
For the emperor! And maybe some purgin' the streets... of the unclean.

t

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Knowing the sense of humor of the devs, to plug the eye artefact in you will have to maim yourself pretty heavily. I kinda hope for a funny death screen with Ps:T reference.

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
Knowing the sense of humor of the devs, to plug the eye artefact in you will have to maim yourself pretty heavily. I kinda hope for a funny death screen with Ps:T reference.
Hahaha, yeah, I can already see that -2 perception penalty.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I hope that at some point, you will be able to scream something like "blood for the blood god, teeth for the tooth fairy!".

a cut of domestic sheep prime

"You bleed out your socket like a stuck pig. Surprisingly (to you, anyway), jamming the mechanical eye into the new blood-gushing hole in your face does not seem to slow the bleeding. As you collapse to the ground in agony and begin to lose consciousness, you curse your own stupidity. What, did you think you were some kind of immortal with the ability to regenerate from having your eye-ball ripped out?"

If you have the regen perk: "Blood sprays from your now empty eye-socket, but immediately begins to slow. You shove the mechanical eye into place, your nerve endings binding to it almost instantly. Your new eye activates automatically, granting you access to a strange and powerful new sense of vision. A painful but beneficial surgery. Good thing you're some kind of immortal with the ability to regenerate from having your eye-ball ripped out."
Disclaimer: Lambchop is not an employee of Iron Tower Studios and has no idea how this scene will play out.

Last edited by a moderator:

Borelli

Arcane

You know, man-made apocalypse is in general limited to technologically advanced societies.
According to my Teron playthrough it was caused by demons not men (they were summoned by men tho'), however that is a myth that nobody can confirm or deny and seems to play primarily into noble houses pride.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Just asking people who played the game as is, how much futuristic stuff is there in AOD?
In terms of items? Haven't played the very latest builds, but not much - as in, even playing through the first half(?) of the game, it was quite possible to only obtain a map and maybe a power crystal. It's a low-magic setting. It's there and a big part of the lore etc, but you'll have to do a bit of work to get your hands on the really good stuff.

As to the sci-fi/fantasy stuff in general, quite a bit. It's an essential element of the world/lore. You won't be seeing much of it if you stay away from ruins and the like, but everyone knows of and values the "magic" artifacts of the ancients, even though most don't understand what they are exactly or how they work.

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
Just asking people who played the game as is, how much futuristic stuff is there in AOD?
I guess that depends on how you qualify futuristic, it's clear society was far more advanced in the past and you're living in the waaaay dark ages, but there has been very little that felt anachronistic or out of place.

Maybe the healing device, the gas mask and the demon containment chamber in the Abyss?

hiver

I use to be an adventurer who thought im going to go dungeon questing and looting awesome futuristic items but then i got an AoD in the knee.

Last edited by a moderator:

Brandon

Educated
I guess that depends on how you qualify futuristic, it's clear society was far more advanced in the past and you're living in the waaaay dark ages, but there has been very little that felt anachronistic or out of place.

Warning: Very Spoilery:

The idea I've gotten from the game so far is that a certain element of society (the magi and perhaps the emperor and other leaders) had access to very advanced technology most likely of alien origin or inspiration. The entire thing has a very Lovecraft feel with mixing occult/magic with science/alien influence. This is especially true after talking to the Mad Loremaster in Maadoran (who himself seems to be a clear reference to Abdul Alhazred).

I'm still trying to figure out if its 'real magic' or just science explained. Possibly a mix of both and I assume it will be left vague (in true Lovecraft fashion no less). The mantra you use to activate the smelter sounds like machine instructions with flair rather than a spell, and a lot of the descriptions of how magic artifacts can 'burn you' sounds like nuclear radiation (not to mention the Abyss).

Aside from the very advanced tech items you can find, the biggest clues so far come from the Tower of Zamedi. If you can manage to engage the demon in conversation he gives some very detailed and enlightening information.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom