Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Brian Fargo talks about the Wasteland 2 beta at Eurogamer

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Brian Fargo; InXile Entertainment; Wasteland 2

A new interview with Brian Fargo was posted over at Eurogamer today. It manages to be more interesting than the typical Fargo interview, revealing new information about inXile's plans for Wasteland 2 and about how the game is doing overall. Here's an excerpt:

InXile took Christmas off, like many of us did, to recharge its batteries. It returned to action in January faced with 7000 bugs, comments and suggestions to sift through. The Early Access is doing what it's supposed to do: offer the developer feedback and help make a better game. But that's a blessing and a curse.

The new work is feeding into a major update that is due out soon. Fargo promises a "tremendous amount of change", pointing to improved AI behaviour (currently the AI is rudimentary in combat). When players first enter the Highpool area, it triggers a mundane combat encounter. Enemies, as they do throughout the alpha, appear content to run toward you as quickly as possible, eating bullets to the face in the process. The update will give enemies the ability to climb ladders to assume sniper positions, among other, smarter, plays. We'll also see the addition of destructible objects and crouch positions, adding an additional layer of strategy to combat. "One of the biggest demands," Fargo teases, "they loved in Fallout that you could take targeted shots. Well, you know what? We might be able to do that. We're taking a look at that."

Elsewhere, the inventory user interface has received a makeover. There's more on this on the Kickstarter page, but as Fargo admits, "it could use a little bit of refinement". That's an understatement. Wasteland 2's inventory is currently a clunky, befuddling mess. Using it is like frantically fishing around your bag for your keys. In the dark. And, it turns out, your keys aren't even there. "There will be big changes there," Fargo promises.

All welcome, but I'm most looking forward into the improvements inXile says are being made to Wasteland 2's narrative. This seems odd to me, and when Fargo first mentions it, I'm sceptical. This is an RPG after all. I'm invested because of the promise of choice and consequence, the video game version of a choose your own adventure. If I say this, here, then this, here, is affected. My decisions make my playthrough unique. My decisions determine my fate. Now the game is nearing release, how much of the narrative, the lifeblood of the game, can change?

"The initial response was that stuff's locked and loaded," Fargo says. "They assumed we were going to adjust combat and balance, but they didn't really believe we were going to make these wholesale changes and additions to the existing content.

"I don't mean just dropping in an area, but things that ripple through the entire world. That to me is the biggest focus."

Fargo uses the Rail Nomad area as an example. He wants it to feel more like a HUB, with hustle and bustle, missions to accept and many more NPCs to chat to. Right now it's a somewhat sparse expanse, with the odd interesting conversation dotted around the map. That's going to change when the update is pushed live.

Looking further down the road, Wasteland 2 is nearing completion and launch proper. Fargo won't commit to a date, or even a month, no matter how hard I press him, but he does say inXile is "in the home stretch". Late game maps are playable, and, in terms of functionality, the game is complete. Fargo will say this: Wasteland 2 will launch in 2014. "Oh absolutely. No question of that."
Sounds promising. I recommend reading the full interview. The part near the end where Brian tries to talk about his relationship with Bethesda without resorting to profanity is rather amusing.

set

Cipher
Fargo is a good spinner. He's burned out my trust in him, but maybe this game can still be good. Who knows.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Fargo is a good spinner. He's burned out my trust in him, but maybe this game can still be good. Who knows.

Are Fargo's spins supposed to be self evident? If so, I've missed them.

I get that his story about Fallout and Tim Cain's don't quite agree, but its possible one man's views reflect an overall appraisal of the franchise and its role at Interplay and the other just the game he made with spare resources. From Brian Fargo's point of view, allowing the original Fallout to be produced + everything Interplay did with the franchise afterward functions as his Wasteland substitute.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
blah blah blah. When one of his heavily funded KS projects releases we will see his mettle. Until then, meh.

Dokkalfar

Drog-kun~
Village Idiot
And yet for all this whining, the Codex still keeps giving Fargo tens of thousands of dollars every time he launches a Kickstarter.

The way people on these forums get irrationally :butthurt: every time something regarding Fargo/Inxile comes up is just hilarious. I guess it's just because he is successful at life and gets free money to make CRPGs of his dreams, while you are all pathetic losers.

Diggfinger

Arcane
When is this supposed to come out? 2014 already? What that huge list of things to do, I'd rather they postpone the date and make it better. I'd hate for Wasteland to be as limited in scope as Shadowrun was.

Still on the fence as to whether or not Im actually buying this.

Monty

Arcane
"7000 bugs, comments and suggestions to sift through"

ie, it includes comments and suggestions. So every bit of feedback they've logged.

Jetblack

Literate
from what I've seen of wasteland 2, it looks boring, copy-cat Fallout with less functionality and variation. The scrolling maps look really sterile. Personally i dont know what all the fuss is about. I rather play Baldurs gate, or fallout 1 or 2, if i´m going to play another isometric squad/party styley rpg. Or even Silent storm, which looks like it still has a way better engine than wasteland 2...and that´s after almost 10 years.

My view wasteland 2, big disappointment and has in no way justified the hype. I just feel sorry for wasteland fans who went crazy thinking how good this game would be.

I just hope they do better job with the new Torment game....cause i "was" looking forward to that, not so sure now.

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
What I'm really loving about all of this is watching Fargo be like "Oh, we are adding crouching/destructible cover/maybe aimed shots," in direct contradiction to all the crysacks who were blubbering about the game being TOO FAR ALONG FOR THEM ADD NEW STUFF, HHHNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Like the interviewer, he seemed competent and had his own opinions about the game. Which is rather rare in interviews. Good the games gets a few more months of work.

Dokkalfar

Drog-kun~
Village Idiot
Lol @ Competing with Fallout. :roll:
You think this is far-fetched? WL2 will obviously end up much better than Fallout 4 could ever hope to be, and Inxile will probably end up taking half of Bethsoft's FO fans before Fallout 4 even hits the shelves.

I don't think so, would love to be wrong, but yeah I expect Wasteland will only sell a fraction of what Fallout 4 sells. Not that it won't be better, of course it will be better, and I'm sure it will do well for it's budget, but outselling AAA multiplatform accessible "RPGs" is not something I expect Wasteland to do.

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
I wonder if all of this shit-talking is genuine, or if people feel backed into a corner because they came in heavy with the negativity at the earlier stages and now they don't want to back down.

The reality is, Fargo and Company have created a fucking isometric, tactical, turn-based, grid-based, stat-heavy game in 2014. They did it with a laughably small budget, and almost totally reliant on the goodwill of a bunch of old school gamers and grognards who fueled the company vision with their own nostalgia. That's an accomplishment right there. Even if the game isn't perfect, getting this type of game back on the map is already a huge success.

Having said all that, the fact that they are adding huge amounts of content like they have been (for example, adding stances or aimed shots this late in the process) means these motherfuckers are serious business. They are not playing around. I have every confidence they are going to deliver a good game. Maybe not the next classic, not the next Planescape, not the next FO1, okay sure. Fine. But I'm having a hard time believing this is going to be a failure. It's already not a failure, by any way you care to measure the concept of failure.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom