Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Divinity: Original Sin Kickstarter Update #55: Valentine's Day Update

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Divinity: Original Sin; Larian Studios

As you may have noticed if you own it, the Divinity: Original Sin alpha received an update today. In the game's latest Kickstarter update, Larian explain what that's all about. Turns out they've put together a little something special for Valentine's Day.

Affinity and Affection:

Scarlett and Roderick (or Jane and Joe; Joe and Joe; Lady Redgrables and Dame Rothschilders; or however else you'd like to name/ engender them after today's update) will now have opportunities to explore their like or dislike for one another via our brand new Affinity and Affection system. Certain in-game events (like levelling up, healing one another, and landing a killing blow in-battle) will occasionally trigger co-op dialogues in which your heroes can explore the trust, friendship, and affinity they, at your discretion, may share.

As the game progresses, the timbre of these dialogues will change depending on how your heroes respond to one another. They may become enemies, business associates, friends, or even lovers depending on how you develop them.

Character creation:

You are now free to customise the gender, hair colour, skin colour, and names of your starting heroes in our improved character creation system.

The options available in our current character creation system are limited, but many more features will be added soon. Before too long, you can expect to start your party with a fully-customisable pair of heroes.

History log:

Now, in the bottom right-hand corner of your screen, you'll have a log automatically tracking which actions you've performed (finding items, casting spells, levelling up, etc.) as well as cataloguing any automatic dialogue you might have missed.

This history log will be very handy in understanding the rules systems that are at the game's heart. And of course, the better you understand the rules, the better you'll be able to exploit the game's systems to your advantage.

Changes to rules and systems:

Action Points:
The Action Points available to you at the beginning of combat now depend on your Initiative (that is, Perception and Speed). The number of Action Points available to you in subsequent rounds depends on your Speed. You can still save Action Points and shift them to the next round, but the maximum amount of Action Points you can collect is determined by your Constitution.

Intelligence no longer lowers the Action Point cost of all skills - it only lowers the Action Point cost of elemental skills.

Warrior skills get Action Point bonuses from Strength, and Ranger skills get Action Point bonuses from Dexterity.

Abilities: The ability Reflexes has been removed. If you want to have a chance to evade attacks, you need to invest in Dexterity. Intelligence no longer gives extra Ability points. Perception now also determines you Critical Chance.

Miscellaneous Enhancements:

User Interface:
Tabs will help you organise your inventory by item type.

In dialogue, your clickable options will disappear after you've selected them, making it easier for you to organise which dialogue options you've already seen and which you haven't.

Map Markers will help you navigate Cyseal, so no more barging into the Legion barracks expecting to question the Duke at the King Crab Inn.

Improved skills feedback will alert you with handy information, like where teleporting is impossible and where you might not be able to cast a certain spell, and improved tooltips will give you a better handle on your gear.

Certain missing equipment models have been added, so now your wizard can finally enjoy a real robe instead of trundling around in nothing but his/her underpants.

Did you know that Divinity: Original Sin is also a marriage proposal tool? It's nice that at least one Kickstarted game is catering to the romance fans, I suppose. By the way, according to an unnamed "German publisher", the game is supposed to come out on April 25th, but I would take that information with a grain of salt until it's confirmed by Larian.

Karmapowered

Augur

Sven won't rest until Larian is the European Bioware.

Nothing wrong with that if it's the Bioware from 15/20 years ago we're talking about :

• listening to their community of fans as a whole (if requests remain reasonable), not just the most vocal/obnoxious/"colored" part of them
  • focusing on user experience (aka fun, see "Ascension"), improving their games by iterations, instead of milking stalled franchises ad vitam aeternam
  • actually providing continued support for their games, fixing bugs and implementing features that were promised, keeping their games in a playable and an enjoyable state even years after
  • producing decent modding editors (I admit Larian has yet to deliver on that), free from any add-ons inaccessible to average Joe Shmoe because of price or professional expertise level (Granny, Unity, etc.)

CDPR also chose to walk in the shoes of Bioware at one time, and look where they are today : maybe not quite yet at the top and untouchable, but definitely in a better position than from when they started, so everything wasn't that bad in the "initial model".

The romance is there for those who care (I do), and for those who don't I hope we can agree it's hardly been the highlight of Larian's efforts and priorities so far.

Yep yep, there definitely is a pattern with ole' Bioware, and personally I can't wait for Larian's new game to add it to my GOG collection and play it.

Just thought I'd add that Bioware version 2014 can of course go and suck some juicy Dwarven cock as far as I'm concerned.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

Sven won't rest until Larian is the European Bioware.

Nothing wrong with that if it's the Bioware from 15/20 years ago we're talking about :

• listening to their community of fans as a whole (if requests remain reasonable), not just the most vocal/obnoxious/"colored" part of them
  • focusing on user experience (aka fun, see "Ascension"), improving their games by iterations, instead of milking stalled franchises ad vitam aeternam
  • actually providing continued support for their games, fixing bugs and implementing features that were promised, keeping their games in a playable and an enjoyable state even years after
  • producing decent modding editors (I admit Larian has yet to deliver on that), free from any add-ons inaccessible to average Joe Shmoe because of price or professional expertise level (Granny, Unity, etc.)

CDPR also chose to walk in the shoes of Bioware at one time, and look where they are today : maybe not quite yet at the top and untouchable, but definitely in a better position than from when they started, so everything wasn't that bad in the "initial model".

The romance is there for those who care (I do), and for those who don't I hope we can agree it's hardly been the highlight of Larian's efforts and priorities so far.

Yep yep, there definitely is a pattern with ole' Bioware, and personally I can't wait for Larian's new game to add it to my GOG collection and play it.

Wasn't criticizing Sven, just making an observation. The game looks like it will be good.

Turok

Erudite
I just test the alpha, nice game, long time don't play anything like this.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom